Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

PLEASE HELP W/ Continuous strobe light effect

Yeah use the Flash screen event, with a parallel process and a slight wait command after the flash screen. You'll want to play with the strength and length of the flash to get it to look like a strobe light. I actually did this in a Panda game I made once in a nightclub.

Next time try and be a bit more specific eh? I aumme you mean strobe light like a nightclub effect.

OK ill try and get the effect right for you but you'll need to clarify what situation you want it in? A dark nightclub, a slipknot concert, A drum and bass rave in the day time. What?

guy

Thanks, I was just trying straight white 3 frames on 3 frames off was about the best I could get it. Nothing over around 100 intensity because it's just hard on the eyes... Also I keep getting lines it won't flash straight white.

Cause it's a strip club they'd have more pulsing lights than strobe (ive seen the insides of many a club), it's a bit more sexy and bit less intense on the eyes.

make one new event

change screen tone to : -102 / -119 / -102 / +85

then make an erase event event

set to PP

now make a new event

screen flash 221, 119, 170, 153 @ 30 frames

wait 20 frames

screen flash 68, 119, 204, 153 @ 30 frames

wait 20 frames

screen flash 136, 51, 170, 153 @ 30 frames

wait 20

set to parallel process

that should do it, providing you got some goos music too support it.

I have 2 more things that would make it wayyy betterr,

1: make some little light charactersets that go above the stage that change at the same speed with the same hues as the lights, ive done this before, looks great.

Also, you know how it flashes the whole screen, if you use the ceiling auotile, and then copy and paste that into photoshop, then just keep the black that surrounds the ceiling auotile and put it in your game as a picture, it will block the light from flooding over your ceiling. I hope that makes sense. Lighting effects always look better when you do this.

guy

Calibre":1u4v1hq4 said:
Cause it's a strip club they'd have more pulsing lights than strobe (ive seen the insides of many a club), it's a bit more sexy and bit less intense on the eyes.

make one new event

change screen tone to : -102 / -119 / -102 / +85

then make an erase event event

set to PP

now make a new event

screen flash 221, 119, 170, 153 @ 30 frames

wait 20 frames

screen flash 68, 119, 204, 153 @ 30 frames

wait 20 frames

screen flash 136, 51, 170, 153 @ 30 frames

wait 20

set to parallel process

that should do it, providing you got some goos music too support it.

I have 2 more things that would make it wayyy betterr,

1: make some little light charactersets that go above the stage that change at the same speed with the same hues as the lights, ive done this before, looks great.

Also, you know how it flashes the whole screen, if you use the ceiling auotile, and then copy and paste that into photoshop, then just keep the black that surrounds the ceiling auotile and put it in your game as a picture, it will block the light from flooding over your ceiling. I hope that makes sense. Lighting effects always look better when you do this.

I see what you're saying with the auto tile that's very clever. Also the light events, great idea.

I notice the wait and and flash seem to run simultaneously? Not in succession?

...And why'd you make the first event?

I came up with something very similar prior to reading your ^ post. I took your idea with the colors.

Basically, flash white 3 frames, wait 3 frames
flash pastel pink 3 frames, wait 3 frames
flash white 3 frames, wait 3 frames
flash pastel purple 3 frames, wait 3 frames
flash white 3 frames, wait 3 frames
flash pastel blue 3 frames, wait 3 frames
Repeat x4
Basically, flash white 20 frames, wait 20 frames
flash pastel pink 20 frames, wait 20 frames
flash white 20 frames, wait 20 frames
flash pastel purple 20 frames, wait 20 frames
flash white 20 frames, wait 20 frames
flash pastel blue 20 frames, wait 20 frames
Repeat x2

So basically like yours w/ an intermittent strobe.

I made the first event to set a screentone to an overall colour. it was dark with slight pinkish hue, the sort of light that would always be on in a strip club. i make my lighting like that cause then you can erase event but the screentone has already been changed. 1 less bit of parallel processing to be done so hopefully contributes to the reduction of lag on some maps.

Whatever works best for you, I only did a quick test, I usually spend a ridiculous amount of time on getting the atmosphere right. Did you try all my settings to compare?

...And yes, the wait command runs simultaneously to the screen flash. This is because when processing other things ( say a door with a timer lock on it) this can still process without things such as screenflashes affecting it.

It would be pretty silly with a red flashing alarm rying to escape a falling building if the timer waited everytime the screen flashed red, right?

guy

I see, you were just setting the general lighting. Will that first event still fire if you leave and come back though? I had previously set the screen tone to something darker but without much of a hue, then turn on a switch, and then a blank page with the condition of the switch on. I'm not sure if the parallel process doesn't still run that way though — those PP's can be tricky.

What about a black light? I can't really find a good hue for that. If I make it dark and turn up the blue it just looks... Well, dark. Know a good way to do a black light?

Yeah the event command "erase event" only applies to the time your on that map. Leave and come back and the event will reappear. Great for on screen enemies for example that you can kill bu come back later and they'll be back.

You don't need to use anymore than one page and NO switches to set up your lighting per map, this applies to panoramas, screentone, background sound effects and so forth. I always have on per map in the bottom right hand corner.

By the way, the way you're doing it, if you leave to the next map that has a DIFFERENT screentone to the strip club, and then reenter, it will retain the lighting from the last map because you have a switch on with a blank page "firing up" as you call it.

Forgive me if im wrong, but is a black light not just a darkened white light via a filter? You can still do a flash screen with black though, just turn down all ths liders ro 0 if thats what you want.

Calibre":3q835yc6 said:
Forgive me if im wrong, but is a black light not just a darkened white light via a filter? You can still do a flash screen with black though, just turn down all ths liders ro 0 if thats what you want.

"black light" is a common term for ultraviolet lights. Basically, they are low-level UV lights that seem to shine purple but have the additional effect of making any brightly colored clothing appear to light up, especially if it is white. Funny thing it, you can find them in nearly any kind of setting, from Disneyland to a strip club.

guy

The black light was actually for another area, but I'm not sure there's a good way to do it.

I know what you're saying about the lighting and switches, but you just make the switches turn when you go out a door or something.

BTW I made the long flashes of light just the color ones, and the intermittent strobe just the white. I think that looks best.

Ok, for the next part. I'm making a event light that changes with the flashes (it changes color then has a flashing animation on the strobe; it's pretty cool) but I need help on this part:

screenshotwfz.png

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/641/screenshotwfz.png

I want to make a custom event graphic that is just the bottom ball section of that frame. I can edit it in paint easy enough, but I'm not sure how to align it up right if import it in as a character. Is that the best way? Can you help with this?

See I want to put the flashing animation on it but I want it to be on just the ball. The top section looks fine, but I'll have to do this for the bottom.

Well I don't know about paint, I'd use photoshop or GIMP (free) for stuff like that. 1 tile in rmxp is 32 x 32 pixels, so id make a character set 128 x 128, then stick it in the top left nad corner. If that isn't spot on, then just move it round a bit. There's almost certainly a better way but I do it like that.

guy

The thing you said before — about taking a picture of the ceiling so it doesn't flash basically. That'd only work in a small area without scrolling right? If you scroll up the screen will move and if the picture moves with it it won't match up right?

Technically no, but it gets much harder with bigger maps. I had it working on all my maps perfectly years before.

I can't remember if you need to just use a bigger picture or resort to using a multiple fogs script... It's been over a year since I've done ant visual eventing.

If you read through the tutorial on lighting that I actually wrote in my signature and read the thread many people talk about larger maps including me.

Oh and I just have today, even though you're way of triggering maps lighting may actually work, it's completely inefficient method that will no doubt lead to bugs.

Why not even now just switch to a basic event, set to parallel process, change the screentone / fogs / panoramas / background sound, then erase event. That will work on every map flawlessly.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.