Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[OOC] Altus

regi

Sponsor

:( I think we started with too few characters, and no offense to anyone in particular, half-decent writing. If we really want to jumpstart this thing, we'll need at least a bunch more signups before it'll really kick off, I think.

I'll see what I can do; sorry for not keeping up (as one of the approved characters, and the one who started the whole mess at that I should be!) but IRL got in the way.

Hey guys. Sorry I seem like I've been completely ignoring this thing. I've been absolutely swamped with family visits and work for the past two weeks, but things are starting to calm down a bit now.

Hey there, just peeked in, is this RP still going? I just read the back story in the sign-up thread and it is packed full of awesome sauce. Be this alive or not, I'm interested to participate, either this RP or a new one if you plan to!

I'm thrilled that there are people that are interested! Unfortunately, I've tried this thing twice now. Admittedly, I wasn't really putting much effort into this reboot... and aside from a few people there wasn't enough interest to keep this alive. The premise isn't going to waste, I'm just turning it into a book and tweaking a few things. Because I love the backstory too!

I would be more than willing to participate in another RP if somebody else wanted to start one up, because I'm sure there are others that feel the same way. Just, something smaller in scale.

I feel ya. Game-mastering a role play is a lot of work. I came across a website called roleplay gateway where it's essentially a forum full of these sorts of forum roleplays, but I'm not confident in joining them because I worry that I cannot devote the effort to regularly keep the story alive.

Having something is better than nothing though, I'll never get anything out there if I always say to myself that I don't have time. See if I'll get something going for HBGames...

Good luck with the book!! That's awesome that you're building upon the story for something else even though this RP isn't working out.

Yeah, that's the thing about RPs. I just can't devote a consistent effort towards these things with how inconsistent my life if. That being said, it would be nice to have some sort of RP going on here. Only problem is that there are a lot of people who say that they'll participate, and then something comes up and they can't. Something low-maintenance would be best.

Spoo

Sponsor

There's actually a place I used to frequent called the Role Player's Guild. It's very active and you can put your RP into any of three categories. Worth a shot.

dadevster":2bb6x8ka said:
Something low-maintenance would be best.

If you're looking for low maintenance I'll see what I can do.

The only problem is trying to please everyone, I made a thread once about what people wanted in an Rp but it soon died, the only idea we ever got from it was that we were on the run from a cult or something, Tbh it's hard too tell what people want without them telling you, even then they might want something more.

The only Rp's I can remember that actually managed to at least start are Altus and the pandemic.
Altus of course is a steampunk adventure where we go on a journey to find the city of altus
The pandemic is about a zombie infested island where we all fight to survive
So the point of what i'm saying is if no one can think of a good idea for an Rp, would you follow me into madness if I tried to combine zombies with steampunk? It might not work, but if it does it would be a hell of an Rp

Sorry if I went a bit off topic :/

Spoo

Sponsor

I think the main reason Altus has twice failed now is the pacing. In it's early stages I think there is simply too little action going on for people to maintain interest. We went from the first post, which was the obligatory "establish setting, garner some information" post, and then we sort of went straight into a series of awkward introductory dialogues between characters.

Ven's zombie RP constantly gave us an excuse to find some action if dialogue got a little slow, and physical interaction was clearly more prevalent there. Even back in the days of Despain's RP, Sandfall, there was a level of suspense at all times; the entire country the RP took place in seemed ready to sort of explode in revolution.

My suggestion if we continue Altus is to either rethink the beginning to make it more exiting or skip to the action. I much prefer the former.

Well, if devy thinks he can "Skip to the action" in altus then i'd go for that, i thought altus was a good Idea and I was disappointed when it crash landed... twice

But if devy doesn't want to try and re-boot altus a third time then imma go forward with my steampunk zombie idea, unless anyone has any objections or better ideas

I dunno. I've kind of moved past Altus as an RP and I'm just not really interested in exploring that particular premise on a forum anymore. I don't want to do it for a third time. I'd much rather participate in somebody else's RP - we need new blood!

Yo guys, I've got an idea I'm toying with based off a /tg/ thread.
R.A.D.
Rave and Die,
a combination of clubbing and call of cthulu
Picture something like a TCG RPG except instead of a deck of cards you have a playlist of song. It's pretty far in its development compared to most things in my head but there's still no semblance of balance or concrete mechanics, so we'd be rolling pretty freeform. That's if y'all are interested of course.

Spoo

Sponsor

TBQH, I prefer semi-formal, barebones play-by-post RPs like Altus. Adding in elaborate mechanics makes things too prone to get confusing for people, and at the risk of sounding extremely lazy, I really wouldn't feel like learning the ins and outs of everything.

But then again that's just me. I think it could certainly work, especially if the mechanics were well thought out.

Yeah I didn't read the entire thread (including the maps and such) of Altus. I read the back story because it was really good, but after the back story I felt exhausted.

Having complex mechanics is good for once players have gotten the hang of the environment, but the RP should still be easy for new comers to start off with. New comers shouldn't be expected to learn complex mechanics to survive.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.