Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
One Night

One Night *Horror Game*

ONLogo.png

Overview

One Night is a survival horror game created by Dark Gaia with RPG Maker VX. It was first released on January 2nd, 2009, and since then has garnered favorable reviews and has spawned two full sequels. It also holds the very dubious honor of being the first ever survival horror game developed with RPG Maker VX.

Story

The Complex... At one point, it was obviously some sort of bustling, busy epicentre of human activity, the nerve center of all sorts of scientific endevours and the military stronghold of an entire armed force. This can be evidenced by the sheer complexity of the place...
Buildings sprawling over each other, subterranian levels, airfields, hangars, vast underground laboratories...
But then again, if it ever was those things, it surely isn't now. Something happened there long ago, and now The Complex is abandoned, crumbling, and eerily silent, it's inhabitants seemingly vanished into nothing in the blink of an eye.
It seems like The Complex is just... no longer there. It's never been heard from since that day when... whatever went wrong went wrong, and nobody who has set out looking for it has ever returned. No maps seem to mark it's location anymore, and not even GPS surveilance can sight anything in the endless expanse of forest it once called it's home.
Some have even gone so far as saying the place doesn't exist.
There's some sort of secret behind that place... And what happened there. The Complex holds many such surprises, and a treasure trove of mysteries too. But it also holds a strangling atmosphere of terror, and a horrific fate which has changed it into a world of dread and danger.

You have just opened your eyes from a long period of unconsciousness, finding yourself sprawled on the cracked stone floor of one of The Complex's many abandoned rooms. Remembering only your name, you must now set out into the darkness that has infested this place, and discover who you are, why you are there, and what terrible catastrophy turned the once bustling Complex into what you are about to experience.

Game Features

- Scary atmosphere and locations, with eerie audio and dark lighting effects to set a frightening mood.
- Relentless enemies which will hunt you endlessly, and which you cannot defeat!
- Mysterious story filled with puzzles and secrets to discover.

Screenshots

40411343.jpg

77838531.jpg

60236815.jpg

70946078.jpg

Download

You can download this game from the page here:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/926/

Mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VLHS8K9X

Hey everyone, it just came to my attention that in my hasty compression of the game, I left out one crucial file. This sound file (88kb) needs to be downloaded and put in the game's Audio/SE folder to have One Night run. Sorry!

Check the above post under DOWNLOADS to obtain the file.

mawk

Sponsor

bb.xieke.com is better than megaupload. it's simple and direct and there are no download limits and you don't have to sign up to upload stuff. you should use it.

secondly your graphics are horribly inconsistent. the xp rtp doesn't fit with vx tiles, at least not in this case. the tiles themselves have brighter colours and much more contrast than the character sprites you're using.

Seeker.png

I hope this isn't actually the sprite you're using for the seeker. not only would it look ridiculous pose-wise, but it's a hand-drawn image, detailed on a smaller scale than your sprites, with an unbroken gradient between colours instead of the limited number of shades people usually use with sprites.

1d.jpg

the thing on the desk clashes with absolutely everything else.

now, thirdly, I hope you know that horror has never worked with anything made in rm and probably never will. rm was designed for rpgs, and is really crippling to the smooth and free exploration which is the bread and butter of the genre. mix in bright colours and sprites with large, content-looking eyes and the atmosphere doesn't seem to fit. it looks like you rape the screen tint command less than most people who've tried so far, so that's a good sign, but the graphical inconsistencies (and the fact that story and gameplaywise this looks like an incredibly generic zombie Benny Hill chase (in fact a lot of the gameplay looks like it came straight out of Crepusculum, although that didn't do horror very well either)) aren't making me very optimistic.

oh, and that mockup box art is pretty hideous, bro. the different components you've pasted on have been very visibly skewed somehow (SOMETHING is making the pixels different sizes) and you haven't arranged things with very good design in mind.

Well... In all fairness it was a side project completed over one month. The fact is that in RPG Maker VX, there aren't very many graphics available suitable for a horror game, so I bit the bullet and made do with whatever I could find.

However though, I feel that this game DOES truly present atmosphere. (Even if the story is just a staple holding the game's explots together) Gameplay wise, it is very similar to Cerusculum, but I implore you to not judge it based on that. This game (provided it's played in ample darkness) does present a scary atmosphere and trust me, does actually SCARE you at some points.

If you don't want to play it understand, but it really isn't that bad.

P.S That is not the sprite I'm really using for the Seeker. That is simply concept art of a real, properly drawn sprite shrunk down.

Yes, the M rating is a joke... That boxart is simply a knock off I made when I was bored to add to the thread.

Final Update:
I have created and uploaded a new download of the game featuring several files which were missing. This version should have no problems. Check out the updated link in the first post and sorry to those who downloaded the old version and experienced problems.

ATTENTION!
Due to a soundtrack change I made in development, one of the files required was switched to another folder. After installation, please enter the folder Audio/SE and copy the file "+string" to Audio/ME.

I played for a bit and got to a door after she said "Someone opened and closed a door behind me" in the beginning, and got an error message saying (I think) SE Door06 is missing, then the game crashed.

I chose these graphics because out of all VX custom graphics available, they were the only ones which best suited the game style. Considering what I had to work with, I think I pulled it off pretty well.

Update:

One Night (I am proud to inform you) has just become the latest Featured Project of RRR!

Hi please don't bump your thread only to announce that you've gotten recgonition on another site. ESPECIALLY RRR.

Yo'ure friend

The Big D

Update:

One of my testers discovered a discrepancy where a door event later on in the game is set to "Below Here", preventing game progress. Thus, I have released a new version with this bug fixed, and containing all the missing files to boot!

To those already playing old version:

You will not be able to continue once you encounter the shoddy eventing. Just download the new version and cut/paste your save file (savegame.rxdata) into the new directory to continue.

Kewel... Very creepeh.

Can't download it now, but I think I'll bookmark this page for when I get back from vacation!

I dunno why, but I've been craving creepy games....

Thanks very much for the show of interest. This is by far the most popular of my non RPG projects on other sites. If you like this game, please try the sequel The Beyond as well, and then brace yourself for the release of One Night 3: Shadow of Stillwater in the near future.

I think you pull off the creepiness fairly well for an RM game. Just a couple notes:

The first book you read (the one detailing the guy who took cyanide pills) runs over the letter limit several times.
You use the word "personal" in EVERY instance you mean to say "personnel." this includes several grubby signs.
There are a couple spots where I can walk where I'm not supposed to. One in an earlier room, and also the first time you step outside (you can walk above the prison door.)

Now, more aesthetic things:
The music and sound effects were very, very fitting, and well orchestrated as the game played out! Bravo.
It did get a bit loud a points tho, such as the basement.
I really liked the ruined, overgrown look of the atmosphere. But the transition into the grass was very stark (tile-to-tile.)
Why is the character talking to him/herself in the beginning, detailing exactly what he/she plans on doing to progress?
The beginning starting out with a black screen and string of text (where am I) takes away from the effect. A LOT of RM games start out like that, it's cliche.
The character talks a little too often. Instead of saying 'my gosh, that bottle just fell all on it's own!!,' I'd think to say "HOLY SH-T" and jump back a few feet... or just pause for a second.
When the monsters first pop up... I think it'd look better if they faded out instead of just popping back out of existence.
And on that note, It was a little odd that I learned about how weapons can defend me against monsters BEFORE I actually encountered monsters.
I may have not played it long, but the monster's 'tracking' skills seemed to go no further than -move toward hero.-
I think it'd be creepier if they moved constantly at a slower pace then step-pause-step.
Oh, and the front gates... honestly if I was in that situation, I'd climb the f--king gates, even if I broke my arms doing it. Make it more impossible looking.
I couldn't STAND the messaging system... the pauses made it way to slow. Especially when I got a million baddies after me and I'm pounding on the space bar to get through a message before they get to me!
I know survival games are like this, but... I dunno. Honestly it feels like a waste of such a robust engine to have such a simple system of 'if you have a defense item, you'll use it automatically.' You could have that... but you could also make it your own form of awesome, like adding in the ability to interact with objects (example... there were a HELL of a lot of overturned stools, why cant I pick one up and chuck it at a zombie?)

And finally, the game ender for me. I stepped into one of the offices, and the monster attacked and killed me from across the desk. At first I didn't know what what happening (he was, after all... on the OTHER side of the room)... and then I died.

Anyways, don't let that get you down, the good outweighs the bad. It was fun to play and again, I think you captured the horror thing pretty well.

Thanks very much for the kind comments, and for pointing out the bad parts too.

You'll find that these problems have been addressed in the sequel (this game's several months old so I have known of these issues for a while) which came out in May (The Beyond) so if you want, try that game and you'll find it much better.

Update/News

I've released two patches for One Night and One Night 3.

The patch for One Night adds some additional content to the game and implements some features from the two later games into the engine, and the One Night 3 patch fixes some passability errors, redoes some scares in the forest area, and removes Hexagon's sprite from the hospital area.

Both of them are highly reccomended downloads. You can access them both from the download links posted in the game threads.

Please tell me the key to RMVX or give a link where you can download. :angel:
if youre looking for a cracked copy, thats warez bro, and we dont do warez. google rmvx trial if you want a download ~moog

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.