Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Medina Stories License Board

Beorc

I've got a question. I think I accidentally deleted the first License Board, and now, whenever I try to start the game, it says

"Script 'License Board' line 3516: TypeError occurred
can't dup NilClass"

How do I fix this?

Hey, nice script, dunno how I missed this before. Quite a nice representation of the XII system; was a great part of that game.

Beorc: what does line 3516 say?

Beorc

It says "@board = $data.boards[@id].dup", although the entire section is:

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Object Initialization
# board_id : board ID
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
def initialize(board_id)
@id = board_id
@board = $data_boards[@id].dup
@xsize = @board.xsize
@ysize = @board.ysize
reset
end

EDIT: Never mind, I fixed it. I had to delete my Boards.rxdata file, but I hadn't done too much anyways so it's not that bad of a loss.

Amy Pond":2atmh5vt said:
Hey, nice script, dunno how I missed this before. Quite a nice representation of the XII system; was a great part of that game.

Thank you. I was planning on making an updated and graphically-improved version this summer vacations, but without a laptop, the latter seems awfully difficult.

Beorc

It would probably require a whole other script, but is there a way to make it so LP pretty much completely replaces EXP? So for example, in the main menu, instead of showing how much EXP you've earned it would show how much LP you have; at the end of battles you automatically earn AP and the amount you earned is shown, etc. I want to use the License Board as a growth system to replace leveling, primarily, but that makes it kind of strange to have EXP showing up everywhere when you're not using it. I've been trying to get it to work for a while despite my very limited knowledge of Ruby just by editing the scripts already there, but it hasn't been working too well...

If this would prove too difficult, do you think you could explain how to make it so I can access the License Board from the main menu? Although I'm already using Dargor's Party Changer, which adds options to the main menu, so I don't know if it's possible for this project, anyways...

Of course. Everything you're asking for is possible in Ruby. You simply have to replace any instance of the experience variable for the license points variable. Also, adding another option to a menu is usually a very simple task. I can't, however, help you directly because my laptop broke, and I don't have RPG Maker XP installed in any other computers. That being said, ask help to other members of the community. It's a minor change that which you're asking for, and they're usually very friendly and helpful people.

xd00dx

Hey I was wondering does this have your presets already in it of your license board or do you have to create it all from scratch? It seems like if you do have to do it from scratch it will take me like weeks. Also was wandering how do you put your characters pics in the face slots and such?

Thanks in advanced.

Your script is so awesome it's easy to use but I have a request. Could you tell how to make license board like ff12 zodiac job system that the summons will be the bridge to connect another board.

xd00dx":1nox5gqd said:
Hey I was wondering does this have your presets already in it of your license board or do you have to create it all from scratch? It seems like if you do have to do it from scratch it will take me like weeks. Also was wandering how do you put your characters pics in the face slots and such?

First of all, I'd advice you to carefully read the entire first post, which will answer most of your inquiries. The script prints a text file in the game folder with a list of all weapons, equipment and abilities. This text file is meant to aid you in the design of boards. All boards are empty at first, and in this sense you do have to start from scratch. As for the character avatars, you merely have to add the ID number of your actor to an image file in the "Pictures" folder. You can also have a default image by using the ID number -1.

xd00dx":1nox5gqd said:
Could you tell how to make license board like ff12 zodiac job system that the summons will be the bridge to connect another board.

I never played the international version of FFXII, and this sounds too complicated to be of any interest.

I'm trying to put a board for each player but get an error here

#------------------------------------------------- -------------------------
# * Object Initialization
# Board_id: board id
#------------------------------------------------- -------------------------
def initialize (board_id)
@ Id = board_id
Board = $ data_boards @ [@ id]. Dup <<(error)
Xsize = @ @ board.xsize
Ysize = @ @ board.ysize
reset
end

how to fix this? :huh:

Good news, everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D1cap6yETA

I'm releasing version 2.0 anytime now! It will have zoom-in, zoom-out capabilities, an ability window, a command window that adapts to the text length, borders around the tiles, and improved graphics. You also don't have to worry about your boards. The main code won't change at all.

Yes, I only need to do the ability window, reorganize the code (because I'm a nut job for good syntax), and that's that. Also, I got my old computer back, which has some methods I needed. Also, I could definitely use a timeout from the battle system. Last night I took a couple of sleeping pills early at night to wake up relatively early this morning. Last thing I remember, I'm with my laptop working on the battle system. When I opened the battle system this morning, I realized it now supports SIX party members. The morale of the story is... well, I don't know what it is. I'd just like to work on something else at the moment.

Boy, oh boy... Version 2.0 is almost here!

EDIT: I thought I was going to release the damn thing today. However, I hit a road block when trying to come up with the final piece of the puzzle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5LYoT2lRb0

Around at 5:15 in the video, you are shown the Action List. For some reason, I omitted the existence of the Action List when creating the first version of the license board. However, it's a giant pain in the ass.

I'm almost done with the Action List, but who knows when I'll be able to finish. :/
Everything else is ready. As soon as I'm done with this, I'll make a new video, take some new screenshots and post it. Perhaps I'll be done by this weekend.

Jesus Christ. I was reviewing the video, when it came into my attention the Action List has a cursor and help text. This means it must be made with the Window_Selectable class. :/

Now I basically have to start from scratch. To start with, I was working with a Sprite class, not a Window class.

EDIT: After finally analyzing the situation, I concluded the Final Fantasy XII Action List window has no specific format. Given the situation, I've decided to use the following format: each skill class will have its own page, each page will have three columns, at the top of the window there will be help text indicating a description of the skill, on top of the skills the skill class name will be shown, and at the left side of the skills, an icon of the skill class will be shown. If there are too many skills for a page, scrolling functions will ensue.

I should be able to finish tomorrow. Even though I was writing something completely different, I can recycle many of the methods I had previously worked on.

I'm following this script, just letting you know because nobody's replying. But i'm pretty sure many are eagerly awating the release.

For myself, i really hope i can implement 2.0 in my project, since i have made small edits to 1.0 in order to let it work. Will you post a guide or something for 1.0 users wanting to upgrade?

This is pretty impressive my man. Makes me wish I was using it myself, but I'm trying to create all original systems. This is nice work though, you seem to have the system down pretty well. I always liked the License Boards.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.