Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mapping Workshop I

Spoo

Sponsor

I guess this is sill open? I'm a little rusty, so it's not the greatest, but I hope it's a passing grade.

MapIOverview.png
\

Something doesn't look right to me, but I can't put my finger on it. If you spot anything, let me know please.

Jason

Awesome Bro

I think I'll have a try at this, will edit my post when I'm done...

Edit---

Okay here we go, I've made a map, I think it looks pretty good but then again I've never been great with cliffs so let's see what has to be said about it;

cliffs.PNG

I could probably have added a lot more to it, since I'm only using two layers there, but meh, it's fine for me.

Spooky: You are getting the basics. You got it. You are getting it. You are doing great.
But you are having some serious height errors.

Let me try and break it down:
Cliffs are like an x=y math equation sort of
every cliff that is stacked on top of eachother needs to be the same height and the initial

MapIOverview1.png

oh dear so many numbers but dont fret

lets starts from the very right numbers

If you have a cliff that is 4 tiles high, you need to make sure everything else on that cliff is 4 tiles high as well
Right now, that mini cliff starts at 3 tiles down and then adds an additional 3 tiles
which means that the minicliff is overly long

Now of course, I also circled the 5,4,4 thing. This is not wrong!
Why?
Because there are two top cliffs. You only count the initial top cliff and not the top cliff of the mini cliff. This is really confusing i know. The reason is that it isn't adding height, it is adding depth.

This was also really hard to explain. x:
So this may not be 100% accurate. This is something I have never really explained before so let me do some learning as well~

THIS ISNT RIGHT I GOTTA FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAP CLIFFS~

Ill pick this up too!
I've got some experience but its never to late to learn right?

Tnx bacon

EDIT

33axgqs.png

Attempt 1
Trying to go for the mountain with a view

2ly2vds.png

Attempt 2
The passage.
1pazup.png

I did this first with the undulation and thought it looked quite nice, but than i went and checked the tut again..
Now its with mountains.. (And i forgot to make a screenshot with the undulations)

eqa005.png

An oldie from me. But as the fact is that i usually don't use the other tools besides the pencil (only when filling a MAJOR spot i use the bucket, shapes i just hand draw) its one that fits this criteria

Spooky: You are getting the basics. You got it. You are getting it. You are doing great.
But you are having some serious height errors.

Let me try and break it down:
Cliffs are like an x=y math equation sort of
every cliff that is stacked on top of eachother needs to be the same height and the initial

MapIOverview1.png

oh dear so many numbers but dont fret

lets starts from the very right numbers

If you have a cliff that is 4 tiles high, you need to make sure everything else on that cliff is 4 tiles high as well
Right now, that mini cliff starts at 3 tiles down and then adds an additional 3 tiles
which means that the minicliff is overly long

Now of course, I also circled the 5,4,4 thing. This is not wrong!
Why?
Because there are two top cliffs. You only count the initial top cliff and not the top cliff of the mini cliff. This is really confusing i know. The reason is that it isn't adding height, it is adding depth. So basically, subtract 1 every minicliff.

This was also really hard to explain. x:
So this may not be 100% accurate. This is something I have never really explained before so let me do some learning as well~

Cliffs are really hard to explain and do right, that is why you should make it easy on yourself and try to go in on equal height changes (every cliff is 2 tiles high or every cliff is 3 tiles high etc)

JBrist: I am really liking those cliffs and they are pretty good. Just make sure not to repeat the same pattern multiple times. There are some instances in your map where you keep adding a curve every other straight path. Example would be the top right section. Look at those repeating patterns. They even create a parallel!

*This is to add to bacon's post, not shove him off or correct him*

ri7y4i.png

It looks nice, but it doesn't add up..
The most are 3, but that extra one makes 4 :huh:
Same story, but on a bigger, more noticeable scale.
Yet the same again, but this is the most noticeable.

It looks like its only a small part of the cliffs, but actually, without doing the math behind it, it can start to look weird. If you'd like and example, take Lego's. If you build a house and you want it to be T-shaped, you cant make the longer end of the T "deeper" than the house itself (not calculating basements :grin: ).

And I'm just saying this again, I do not counter bacon's post. I'm adding some mathematical sense to it :wink:

Jason

Awesome Bro

Yeah I get what you mean, I just really don't like seeing things so straight, and it's not really good that the tiles are squared on the edges, well, not squared but y'know, not as... mountain-y as they could be, lol

Im not saying make them more square, Im saying vary the curve. Instead of curving down, why not curve up? Change and mix things up~

I'd like to point out that I think it's kind of funny that you used the oldest version of one of my maps to demonstrate what not to do. Should I be glad that I knew that the path and lake shouldn't be straight when I posted that picture?

Mr_Smith: Hopefully you do I would love it if more people joined!

LiquidMetal: I just saw your post, let me do some editing and redoing and get back to you x:

I'd like to point out that I think it's kind of funny that you used the oldest version of one of my maps to demonstrate what not to do. Should I be glad that I knew that the path and lake shouldn't be straight when I posted that picture?

I just used a bunch of peoples different maps.
I dont know if you should be glad
but you shouldnt be ashamed either
everyone starts out somewhere and all we can do is learn. As long as you are willing to learn and stuff then you can only get better.

bacon":2jzgprrx said:
ShadowMainZERO":2jzgprrx said:

I just used a bunch of peoples different maps.

I figured that much. I just saw one of my maps and found it vaguely humorous.

2ly2vds.png

• 1) You are repeating patterns multiple times. Not only that, you create an almost perfect rectangle with your cliffs because of the parallel between the two
  • 2) Straight Cliff
  • 3) Its a repeating pattern and creates a 45 degree line
  • 4) There are parallel lines
  • 5) I know that you were trying yo break it up with the turn, but because nothing was put to break it up, it creates a super giant mega line

Try applying this to your other two maps.~
these are not all of the errors in that map i just got a few x:

Shadow: o;

Why is everyone doing cliffs?
Well here's a map I made for... what's supposed to be a nice school.
The grass on the bottom hasn't been done yet
map.png

Jbrist: What are you referring to. x:
I get that there is supposed to be no objects but when I say break up things I mean you need change your cliffs and add some negative/blank space

Action: Action, its an okay map b..b...but
There are a lot of places where it is the same thing
like that stone path is going to take up half of the screen and make the map really boring
Shrink things up. You can make something dynamic and bog looking without making the map overly large

also, I am just going to try and critique stuff I have already covered in this workshop. There is more to be said about that map but I will save it for later ~o:

EDIt: Oh, nevermind jbrist

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.