Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mapping Workshop I

Spoo

Sponsor

bacon":3lzl8gl3 said:
Spooky: You are getting the basics. You got it. You are getting it. You are doing great.
But you are having some serious height errors.

Let me try and break it down:
Cliffs are like an x=y math equation sort of
every cliff that is stacked on top of eachother needs to be the same height and the initial

MapIOverview1.png

oh dear so many numbers but dont fret

lets starts from the very right numbers

If you have a cliff that is 4 tiles high, you need to make sure everything else on that cliff is 4 tiles high as well
Right now, that mini cliff starts at 3 tiles down and then adds an additional 3 tiles
which means that the minicliff is overly long

Now of course, I also circled the 5,4,4 thing. This is not wrong!
Why?
Because there are two top cliffs. You only count the initial top cliff and not the top cliff of the mini cliff. This is really confusing i know. The reason is that it isn't adding height, it is adding depth. So basically, subtract 1 every minicliff.

This was also really hard to explain. x:
So this may not be 100% accurate. This is something I have never really explained before so let me do some learning as well~

Cliffs are really hard to explain and do right, that is why you should make it easy on yourself and try to go in on equal height changes (every cliff is 2 tiles high or every cliff is 3 tiles high etc)

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'll let you judge that. Did I fix the issue, make it worse, etc.?

Map%20I%20Overview%20Fix.png

regi

Sponsor

The cliff heights still don't seem to match up. Look at how the cliff in column 3 is 3 tiles high, but yet connects to a cliff 4 tiles high in column 5. To fix this, either make the bottom chunk of column 5 one tile shorter, or make columns 3-4 one tile higher.

I'm really interested what you guys think of this one. First map I've made since ages, was really out of practice. Well, here ya go:

mountain1.png

Mr Smith: That minicliff looks awkward but I cant really put my finger on why x:
let me try and figure it out. If anyone else want to chime in, please do so.

One thing I am noticing is that there are a lot of repeating patterns in certain shapes

Tbh, what I think it needs is more cliff
You have a lot of green and not a lot of actual cliff
your eyes do not create a sort of path from A to B, and instead its kind of all over the place

Try and add more cliff walls to create a path and a direction

Also, having a lot of cliffs where you cant see the actual wall doesnt really help break up monotony as much

Here's a suggestion for making sure the height of your cliffs look right: Try imagining your map in 3D. It might not work all of the time, but it should help you in figuring out if your cliffs looks right (well, theoretically).

Bacon, you mean that cliff that is almost top-left? Yea, I see what you mean. It looks a bit strange how it touches the other cliff. The path I tried to create is the thing Aluxes (or w/e you call him) is standing on. Ill add more cliffs later on:) Thanks for the advice!

Shadow, I tried to make sure the heights were right, what doesn't make sense?

Mr_Smith":3qstnmfq said:
Shadow, I tried to make sure the heights were right, what doesn't make sense?

It was a suggestion for everyone. Not just for you. However, in your case, I did think what LiquidMetal91 pointed out looked strange.

regi

Sponsor

LiquidMetal91":1hp2l5b3 said:

This is what's wrong..
A small human error, you just missed it
Actually the map is fine. The problem with your counting is that you're including the top tile, which is mostly flat (just the pebbly-edge part takes up a lot of space, so it gives the illusion of one layer height).

The correct addition of heights would be (from left to right) 3 = 2 + 1

If you're confused, replace the edge tiles with the green edge. You'll see that 90% of the top tile is flat.

I think the reason it's awkward is because it is a straight cliff that juts out at an awkward angle. (Notice how left of it is a corner tile?) I would make the cliff extend left more, into the little corner.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.