Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mafia (OOC Thread)

In the tiny city of Orgville, things had been peaceful for many years. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, the mafia came to town. They started to take over behind the scenes. At first people were naive, but anyone will notice if one person in the town is killed every night. Frustrated by the government's inactivity, the townspeople got restless. They decided to take the law into their own hands, and start lynching the mobsters. When the mafia found out about this, they decided that their only option was to mix in with the townspeople and turn them against each other.

Who will survive, the town or the mafia?

1. Once a suitable number of people have joined, I will tell everyone what their role and goal are via PM. Once you have recieved your role PM, please reply to me stating what your role is so that I know you received it.
2. The game will start during the Night phase. During this time, the mafia members decide who they want to kill during the night. After they have decided and PM'ed me who they want to kill, or after a good amount of time has passed, the game will move into the Day phase of Day 1. Any roles that have abilities that can be used at Night may also PM me to use these abilities. Note that no one may post in this thread at Night, and only players whose roles allow it can communicate with each other about the game during Night.
3. Once the Day phase starts, everyone will be alerted as to who was killed during the Night and what their role was. After this, players may again begin discussion in the thread. Players may discuss who they want to lynch, and the lynchee will be decided by vote. Remember to cast your vote in bold. You may change your vote until a majority has been reached for any one player. Once this happens, they will be lynched, no more votes can be changed or cast, and the game will move back into Night.
4. If you do not want anyone to be lynched during a Day you may vote "no lynch".
5. I may post a deadline for votes during a Day if things are moving slowly.
6. If you are killed, you may not vote or use any of your abilities any more. You may have one "baw" post that doesn't give anyone hints as to other peoples' roles, but that's it.
7. Once any faction's win conditions are fulfilled, or there is nothing preventing this, they win and the game is over.
8. If I make a mistake, let me know, but be polite about it.
9. Roles are totally randomized, so there's no favoritism.
10. Quoting your role PM is against the rules. You can claim that you are a certain role, but you should probably be careful of this.
11.Blueis the color I will be posting in for lynching vote counts. No one else can post in blue.
12.I will keep track of who is alive and who is dead in the first post. Once someone is dead, they will be placed in the "Dead" section, along with when/how they were killed and and their role.

In the spoilers below are the roles that may appear in the game. Note that Townies and Mafia Goons are the only ones that are guaranteed to be in the game, and there may be others besides the ones listed here.
These players win when no factions opposing the town are left.
-Townie= These are players with no special powers whatsoever, but they do have their brains and wits with them.
-Undercover Cop= Cops may send me a PM during Night that says that they want to investigate a certain player. If they do, I will send a reply stating whether or not they are part of the mafia. They target will not know that they were investigated.
-Bodyguard= Bodyguards can send me a PM during Night that says that they want to protect a certain player. If they do, all night actions against the protected player (i.e., investigations and night kills) will fail. The target will not know that they were protected.
-Vigilante= The Vigilante may kill someone on his own during the Night. All he has to do is PM me the target's name during Night like a Mafia member would.
These roles win if only Pro-Mafia players are left alive.
-Mafia Goon= These are basic Mafia members. They may talk amongst themselves during Night via PM, and decide on who to kill during the Night. Mafia Goons are told who the other Mafia members are within their role PM.
-Mafia Godfather= The Godfather acts as head of the Mafia. He is the sole decider of who to kill during Night, although his Goons may share their opinions with him or try to sway his decision. He is told who his Goons are in his role PM. Also, if the Godfather is investigated by a Cop, he will turn up as "not mafia".
These roles have win conditions that are not specifically tied towards the Town or Mafia.
-Serial Killer= The Serial Killer wins when he is the only player left alive. He can kill during the Night like a Vigilante.
-Jester= The Jester's only goal is to get lynched. If he is killed during the Night or is alive when all anti-town factions are eliminated, he loses.

You can make up a bio with whatever you want in it for your character in-game, but it's not mandatory.

The most important thing to remember is that this is just a game. Don't take it personally.

Yes, it is.
This is one of my favorite games ever! Me and my friends used to play it every day during lunch. (We were in Gateway, which was basically we could go to this classroom during lunch and goof off.)
Count me in.

I'd like to sign up, please!
Also, I believe in the regular system, the murdered player does not get to know who kills him, but (s)he can tell his suspicions in his "baw" post. Actually, I might be wrong, but it does make the game more fun, in my opinion.

The "baw" post is always fun, but...
OOH! Have you played with "Medium" rules?
It's where one person is the Medium, and they can choose to hold a seance where a dead person PM's them with who they think killed them.

King Red Of Pancakes":16ucsea1 said:
Also, I believe in the regular system, the murdered player does not get to know who kills him, but (s)he can tell his suspicions in his "baw" post. Actually, I might be wrong, but it does make the game more fun, in my opinion.
In the system I play in, your "baw" post cannot contain any information pertaining to the game. You can say something like "I told you I was a townie", of course, but you can't say "I'm a cop and I found out that Player X is mafia!"
BTW, we'll probably need at least 7 players for a good game, so see if you can get a few of your friends to sign up.

Mirku

Sponsor

I guess I'll join as well.

A very well thought system by the way, this reminds me of a game I used to play as a child.

me too! :D   

EDIT: but i think we have a problem in the fact that i live in the england and night for me is like midday for you 

Nachos

Sponsor

I'll play, but, KROP, don't you know that you could send the same message to all the users? you just had to copy the list of the online membres, and btw, stop PM spamming.

I'm in.

I think in the common system, the real night/day does not pertrain to the game, where day ends when the member is lynched and the members have enough time to communicate about who they're going to try to go after next. But I could be wrong.

King Red Of Pancakes":1aypggnp said:
Gah, I'm exhausted from typing, messaged almost every online member on the forums. But it looks like it payed off. :)

Don't do that. Next time you'll get a warning and possible banned. It's spamming.

Also take out one or both of those quote boxes in your sig. It makes it too large.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.