Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Loading Screens?

In most games when you enter a new level they have a loading screen. With a big picture usually related to the game and a loading bar. IS that possible to make in XP? Would that be considered doing a "Show Picture" event?

If you look at the Rm2k3 game cRaZy_GuY's Journey, there's a loading screen somewhere in that too, but purely for humor purposes. If your game is a humor game and you have 1 funny loading screen it's not bad. But if your game is serious and you have loading screens everywhere while it doesn't need one just to look professional, that's not good.

One place it could be useful of course is in a Netplay-based game, where it has to connect to the server / load the server list, which would take time. But I'm not sure how/if a loading bar could be made for that.

Earlier versions of mNetplay had loading screens for that I think Wyatt, also they had loading screens for maps. Not long loading screens granted but still loading screens. If you're looking at how to make one try having a look back at that, could help you out.

Zeriab

Sponsor

Loading screens are there to tell the player that the game is not dead. That something is happening.
They should definitely not be there if not necessary.

I made my loading script since I had another script generating stuff which could take long enough to warrant a loading screen.
The most likely proper use would be for scripts generating stuff. It does not necessarily have to be a game. It could be an external tool.
If the loading screen only happens once or twice in the game then I think most people can live with it ^^

On a side note: If you have the loading screen status running in a separate thread then make sure that a situation where Graphics.update can be called in one thread while Sprite is being created in another. Half-created sprites CAN cause errors. It's a type of error that happens randomly and can be very hard to debug.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.