Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Loading Screens?

In most games when you enter a new level they have a loading screen. With a big picture usually related to the game and a loading bar. IS that possible to make in XP? Would that be considered doing a "Show Picture" event?

It's possible using a "show picture" event (you'd just need several, sequential pictures with the "loading bar" creeping upwards slowly), but why would you put in a loading screen when the game doesn't need one?

Anonymous

JUST BECAUSE GAMES HAVE A LOADING BAR DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD ADD ONE

THIS IS EXACTLY THE SHIT I MEAN FUCK YOU ALL

Anonymous

OKAY FINE I'M GOING TO MAKE A TOPIC AND IT'S GOING TO BE ALL 'YOU'RE ALL STUPID FUCKS STOP BEING STUPID' AND IT WILL MAKE YOU ALL CRY

Steady, Berrybliss.  Sloooooow, deeep breaths. 

Relaaaaaax.

Yes, there are some strange questions here, but... relaaaaaax.

Calm down.  It's just a stupid question on the internet.  Mind the blood pressure...

I made a loading screen for one of my projects, before I got too busy. That was because I needed it though; lots of data had to be scanned, and the results stored, every time a map was loaded. What I did was this:

Set a variable (say @max) to a reasonable value.
Set another variable (say @current) to 0.
Every time an operation which is part of the loading completes, increase @current by one. @max should be set so that the loading is finished when @current == @max.
Then, before the loading starts, I created a new thread which would draw the loading bar based on the two variables, then make the graphics update, then sleep for 0.2 seconds and allow the main thread to continue.

If you didn't quite catch that last part, chances are nothing you write needs a loading screen.
Most things you find won't need it either.

If you still want a loading screen, because it's "cool" or something, then do some searching. Zeriab made one, and I'm sure there are others, ready to be used and abused.

Kraft

Sponsor

I made one once, for a game I was working on.

Basically, it was a image with the game name on it, and a little "tip" on the level and such, and there was a rectangle near the middle-bottom of it that was cut out of the image (it was a transparent image) and then I had a red picture move BEHIND this main one from left to right to simulate a loading bar ^_^  when it got to the other side (like 5-8 seconds) "Press any key" came up and that was how I did it ^_^

1) I think it's useless in 99% of the time
2) I added a loading screens to my game (on XP) only when the map took more than 5 seconds to load. I simply used a picture.

Loading screens are not there to look cool, it only makes you wait while the game is loading something and as Despain said, no SNES-era games should need loading screens.
But it's doable.

Commander Wyatt":2pv716mn said:
If I had to wait 5-8 seconds to play an RMXP game I'd quit straight away

^_^
That's why I stopped taking 1000 custom scripts and tilesets and started making my own.
Most of the lag/delay are caused by large maps/tilesets or poorly optimized scripts.

So optimize your maps and scripts!

Kraft

Sponsor

It depends on the game style...
For example, I was making a dungeon style game similiar to FATE, where the player sorta has a goal, but the aim of the game was to go deeper and deeper into the dungeon, and come back out to restock and such, and then go back in and hopefully go father.

It all worked with a storyline lol, it was not as stupid as "go fight you fag, and go deep as you can without dying"

But, the loading screen provided the oppertunity to display game tips and strategies, even if only for a few seconds, as well as tell the player sometimes where he is, what he might be heading into... etc.. 

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.