Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

House on Fire [60/60 Hours] YOU MAD?

This is a project I started long ago. It is the first one I am actually slightly proud of. The reason I joined this development month on the third was because I am in my last year of high school and damn, test week (which was actually 9 days long) is finally over!

This game is being made in RPG Maker VX using many different resources, ranging from RTP to futuristic madness. It is supposed to be slightly comedic, and is probably not suited for people under the age of sixteen, or those who are easily offended.

The hell is this game?:
While we are all getting drenched in those foul adventures of kings, heroes and swords that have to be found, House on Fire deals with a story of absulote insignificance. The title probably already spoiled it, but it's about a story with your house getting on fire and you searching for the crapsack responsible. Extremely normal, I'd be angry too if my self-built house was put on fire. Except that I'm not a hippie. Neither do I wear an eyepatch or fight with farming tools. I don't know what the hell I was doing while coming up with this story and character. We all do know, however, that the pyromaniac is going to die an awful death. Preferably something eventually involving a guillotine, even though it is not invented yet. Set in a period I am not able to name, but before the arrival of guns, this game has zombies, pirates, aliens, hippies, cookies and magic (there are plans for ninjas, but that is not certain as of yet). Pretty much everything you will ever need to make an epic game you would never forget, if not for the laziness and creative boundaries of the creator. Also, this game does not have Japanese katakana in its title to make it understandable for Japanese people, as all of you speak English or can just use Google Translate. For those that really like having katakana in the title of an RPG, imagine this being written under the logo: ハウス オン ファイア. There, I used my mad Japanese skills to whip that up for you otakus.

Characters:
For now, these are the protagonists, bear with me.

Jake;
Imagine a hippie who only wears something on his torso while in battle. Now imagine that same hippie fighting for world peace and doing everything else hippies do while wearing an eyepatch for a reason he tries to keep a secret at all costs. You've now got the main character of this strange game that might once be released, congratulations.

Boijt;
"Hah, why would you need a brain when you have devices like axes that cut through zombies just as easy! Oh, except that brains do not cut and are not sharp... wait... what."
There, I used a quote, lots of people do that when they describe their characters. You probably got a nice idea of his personality and appearance now, too. If not, well, too bad.

Jan;
Many people wonder if this scientific individual actually comes from the future. Though, probably not because when you ask him, he will firmly reply: "No, but I am smarter than you, that's for sure." Jan has the brains and the futuristic magic you will need to kick everyone's ass.

Counius;
He has the longest name of the protagonists. Well, yeah, what else to say about this fellow, except that he's the incarnation of pure awesome? Oh yes, he can summon zombies and kind of accidentally lower the temperature of a whole village to beneath freezing point. Making 'scrap traps' from loose iFat parts, reviving party members with his zombifying magic, he is probably not someone you'd want to mess with. Unless you want to see his amazing abilities, that is.

Screenshots:
Titlescreen.jpg

Ah yes, a wonderfully crafted title screen. Not by me, obviously. I have to thank the good sir RadethDart for this.

14scoyv.jpg

Some random voice in your mind purposedly wakes you up in the middle of the night with a strange message. WHAT COULD THIS RAGE OF PURE CAPS-LOCK POSSIBLY MEAN!?

2h2f9dw.png

Oh, I see.

2v9cgas.png

"What!? A grave as a save point!? Why!?"
One: Talking gravestones have always intrigued me.
Two: If you are to die, what better thing to remember what you did before you died than a gravestone?
Three: OMG GRAVESTONES GLALALBLURGHHUPFFGRRRRHARFF!

2gudxlj.png

This is probably a puzzle you will not succeed in solving. In fact, I suck at it, too. It is kind of difficult and a hassle.

5jxiee.png

Counius accidentally robbed all the warmth of Boijt's hometown, and the latter is not very happy about that.

Screen_6.jpg

The toxic air of Dor'thump is probably not good for your health.

Screen_7.jpg

Consulting Mayor Senior of Yurkinem about his son may or may not help you on your quest.

SPACESHIPS, AAHAHAHAHAHAA.

Credit list:
Title screen:
RadethDart

Sprites:
Famitsu
qtpi0121
http://momope8.blog67.fc2.com/blog-category-5.html
Matsuo Kaito
IceDragon
Climhazzard
Aindra
CrayDragon
Jollan

Also a lot of scripting dudes, but considering I haven't even posted a screen of the battle system (which is just Tankenkai stuff, really), I don't think I'll have to credit these fabulous people YET.

And... Nope, there's no demo yet.

Feel free to say anything about this project, be it insulting or not.

Daily Update: The 3rd:

Well, done some script searching, editing, asking what the hell I was supposed to do, and eventing.

Reduced some major lag for a few puzzles I had already created before, thanks to the new script I have attained!

Time spent this day: 5 hours.

Daily Update: The 4th:

- 'Translated' my Lufia movement/encounter event system from XP to VX. This will probably raise some difficulties with it, as I am going to need some map sprites for the enemies I am going to make.

- Completed a puzzle which can be seen here:
887530e9079409650e4f47bab7344859.png

It's kind of a pain to explain how everything works, but it's pretty simple to figure out in-game.

- Made a pressure check: 2 enemies (who move in a special patern) and the player in a grid of 3x3 and something happens. Using it for an elevator kind of thingy.

Time spent this day: 3 hours.

Daily Update: The 5th:

- Killed some bugs in a few puzzles, made them fully functional and prettier.

- Made a special crate able to be lifted above the player's head and dropped on a free space or buttons. Great for more puzzles! This took not all that long, really... If someone wants this little system, PM me or leave a message here, as I'm not sure I've seen this before... You can probably do it yourself, though.

Time spent this day: 2 hours.

PS: Come on guys, don't just lurk here, you're free to post in this topic... :(

Daily Update: the 6th:

- Frankened (is that a word?) a Jake sprite holding a crate and other things.

- Pretty much completed the crate pick-up and drop system, which was a pain-in-the-ass task because a script was doing some weird stuff. It's now working fine.

- Made the map with the pressure plate elevator mentioned early and made it functional.

- Started the last puzzle in the first dungeon, in which you have to block a summoning circle using various random objects in the room.

PS: Still waiting for someone to comment :(.

Daily Update: the 8th:

- Realized I was terribly wrong thinking that I'd finished the puzzle, it is far from done cause something I had planned is much harder to do than I previously thought.

- Worked a bit on the enemy encounter system, activating when standing next to a monster, whether the player or event is facing the other or not. Will explain why the hell I want that later.

Time spent this day: 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Daily Update: the 9th:

- Okay, the last puzzle is now done, I hope...

- Made some zombie enemies (i.e.: taking sprites from the interwebs and putting them in RMVX), as zombies are cool.

- Worked some more on the enemy encounter system, now correctly stunning the enemy when fleeing from the battle. For now, the player is able to walk 5 tiles before the stunned enemy starts moving again.

Daily Update: the 10th:

- Worked some more on the first dungeon, pretty much nearly completed it. Which probably means it's far from completion as there'll be bugs blahblah. Created a hub room and added a few elements, like cracks in the floor, to maps.

Time spent this day: 1 hour.

Thanks, Radeth, will do! ;)

Except for today, that is, gotta discuss some things about a vacation with a few of my mates IRL.

Damn, catching up is gonna be uncool, even though weekend starts tomorrow...

Daily Update: the 15th:

- More mapping!

- More conversations!

- Tried eventing a 'bomb system'. It's not working yet as I have to find a script which lets me summon events from another map (the bombs). If anyone knows a script like that for VX, please post it here! The bomb system allows the player to spawn a bomb on the floor using the 'A' or 'Shift' button, which will explode after 6 steps done by the player. Crates and other things'll blow up when they are next to the exploding bomb.

Time spent this day: 4 hours.

Daily Update: the 16th:

- Almost finished the bomb system, which took a whole freaking lot of time. Found a way to create an event through a script via a key, so now when the player presses 'Shift', a bomb will spawn underneath them, which explodes after walking 5 steps. This means a maximum of 5 bombs can be on the map at one time. The explosion caused by a bomb can blow up crates and other things surrounding it (not diagonally).

- I have decided to make the ENTIRE game as relaxing as possible. At the moment, there is absolutely nothing which requires you to act quickly. Things only happen when you walk around, press certain keys on your keyboard or select options.

- Thought of a way to shoot an arrow, which will be able to flip switches, stun enemies on the map so they can't move and more cool things. Wrote it down in my notebook during math.

Time spent this day: 4 hours.

Daily Update: the 17th:

- Bomb events and scripts done, still need to make/find a proper sprite and sound effect, but that won't be as hard, I suppose.

- Started making the arrow tool which, like the bomb, consists of a little script thingy and some common event work, but should be slightly easier to make.

Time spent this day: 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Daily Update: the 18th:

- Arrows arrows arrows, shooting arrows all day~

- Edited some bomb-thingies to let them lag the game less.

Time spent this day: 1 hour.

Not-so-daily-anymore Update: the 20th:

- Arrows suck, they've taken me quite some time to make them function properly, as I really am a noob scripter.

- Light puzzle was a little incompatible with a script I'm using, so I've made it work again.

- Did some small mapping and some editing.

Time spent this day: 4 hours and 30 minutes.

Daily Update: the 21st:

- Made a freaking hookshot! Yes! It actually works! Still need to find a proper sprite, but I'll do that later...

So far, I've made 3 tools: the bomb, the arrow and the hookshot. I might add another one later, but these are the main ones I wanted to make.

Daily Update: the 23rd:

- Adjusted the hookshot as it bugged some things up sometimes.

- Played through some puzzles to make sure they worked.

- Started mapping an snow town.

Time spent this day: 2 hours.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.