Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Help with auto-trigger events!

UPDATED 28 MARCH 2014

Hi! I have a railway puzzle in my RMXP game, where the player chooses directions (UP, DOWN, RIGHT, LEFT etc). If you choose RIGHT then the lorry will move on to the next intersection place, and another DIRECTION CHOISE will be brought up. When choosing a direction the PLAYER (in the lorry) moves in the selected direction, disabled from FREE movement.

I have solved how everything shall work, but it seems that I have missed some things. Here is how I have the puzzle work so far:

*Whenever a direction choise has been made, the lorry moves to the next intersection
*The new intersection is set to Event Touch that turns OFF the previous intersection and turns ON the new one with switches.

Take a closer look here:

1zmmv7a.png

My problem is that I don't remembered how I did this so if you understand switches and Everything and can see what I am missing I would be so grateful!

The easiest way to help me is to download my demo of the puzzle map:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mlumf3

If it seems to work bug-test it as far as you can, please! I am sure there still are errors.
Please repost the zip-file as I sent it, with the two maps named Cerita.

Thanks in advice!

Spoo":1qqy8ctt said:
So there are a couple of things I've found so far. Number one is a seemingly useless screen pan after hitting the "DOWN" switch. I'm guessing that, since hitting that plate triggers the change for Intersection 4, you're trying to show that. Problem is, the player probably hasn't been that far left on the map just yet; it's unlikely they'd deliberately choose the dead end and get off the lorry to explore. Even if the player did explore, the change of the rail is subtle at best. I would advise centering the screen on Intersection 4 for a few seconds, then change the graphic, probably with a sound effect as well, just to drive the point home to the player what just happened.

Second, there is a game-breaking bug at intersection 4. After triggering switch 0228 and being guided back to the intersection automatically, the player is given free control of the lorry and is unable to further interact with any switches. I'll get more in-depth with this one in a second. I'm trying to isolate the problem.

Also, I have to be blunt here: Your switches are extremely inefficient. Rather than mapping a single intersection to a single switch, you have two switches named INTERX OFF and INTERX ON. It's super confusing.

Thanks for the help, yes I am aware that I did solve it very tediously, that's why I needed help.

Which intersection are you talking about when you say inter. 4?

Thanks in advice

Spoo

Sponsor

Sorry it took me a bit to respond. Intersection 4 refers to this one right here:

robin001.png

I'm labeling them by the names of the switches that control them, not necessarily the order in which the player encounters them.

Thank you then I understand (yes it was the same way I named them)

I might as well just redo the whole thing with a simpler use of switches!

Do you have any ideas that could make that work?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.