Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Help with auto-trigger events!

UPDATED 28 MARCH 2014

Hi! I have a railway puzzle in my RMXP game, where the player chooses directions (UP, DOWN, RIGHT, LEFT etc). If you choose RIGHT then the lorry will move on to the next intersection place, and another DIRECTION CHOISE will be brought up. When choosing a direction the PLAYER (in the lorry) moves in the selected direction, disabled from FREE movement.

I have solved how everything shall work, but it seems that I have missed some things. Here is how I have the puzzle work so far:

*Whenever a direction choise has been made, the lorry moves to the next intersection
*The new intersection is set to Event Touch that turns OFF the previous intersection and turns ON the new one with switches.

Take a closer look here:

1zmmv7a.png

My problem is that I don't remembered how I did this so if you understand switches and Everything and can see what I am missing I would be so grateful!

The easiest way to help me is to download my demo of the puzzle map:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mlumf3

If it seems to work bug-test it as far as you can, please! I am sure there still are errors.
Please repost the zip-file as I sent it, with the two maps named Cerita.

Thanks in advice!

Is the lorry an event or a graphic you made that fuses the player and lorry. Because if it's an event you would you "Event Touch" not "Player Touch". If that's not the problem, what event command are you using to make the lorry move? Is it "Set Move Route"?

EDIT: lol, sorry didn't see the original posts! Just disregard this if you're problem is already fixed.

TheScripter":3i9y5n7t said:
Is the lorry an event or a graphic you made that fuses the player and lorry. Because if it's an event you would you "Event Touch" not "Player Touch". If that's not the problem, what event command are you using to make the lorry move? Is it "Set Move Route"?

The Player CHANGES GRAPHIC to the player in a lorry, simple as that. But yeah I used "Set Move Route"

But you know what, I solved it, it is Event Touch xD LoL I feel so stupid :crazy:

Ok, I am having another problem, much more strange:

Now the NEXT Direction event shows the SAME DIRECTIONS (show choises) as the EARLIER event(s)

CHECK THIS PICTURE OUT:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59 ... zzle2.png/

As you can see, there shall be no possibilty to move RIGHT here, but still there is, it is just because it has the SAME choises as earlier events! WHY???

I have used the Label and Jump to Label events, could this have anything to do with that?

Please help!

Why didn't you make it so that each intersection was it's own event and that when you come in contact with that specific event, those directions came up? And the label and jump to label events shouldn't be a problem as long as when you type the label in "jump to label" you didn't misspell anything.

TheScripter":10e3al8o said:
Why didn't you make it so that each intersection was it's own event and that when you come in contact with that specific event, those directions came up? And the label and jump to label events shouldn't be a problem as long as when you type the label in "jump to label" you didn't misspell anything.

I dont fully understand you, I haven't miss spelled anything, I have separate events for direction. Each 4 direction place has a 4 direction option, all 3 dividing palces have an event of choises of 3 directions etc.

The lorry with the player in (It is one and the same graphic for the player) automatically moves when choosinga direction, but as each dividing place have OWN events (these events bring up the DIRECTION CHOISES) this shouln't happen.

For example:

1.I go right
2.NEXT DIVIDED PLACE: I still can go right, even if it isn't a railway in that direction (proof of OLD event's choises!)
3.The lorry moves out of the railway as there IS NO railway to the right

See what I mean?

Ah okay, I see what you mean, but its kind of hard to visualize your problem without a demo of some sorts (would you mind that or...) however in the mean time, do you have a parallel process event going on outside all these events? And what I mean by each specific spot has an event, is that when the player comes to an intersection or whatever, an event that you place ON the intersection turns on.

TheScripter":1uanypnm said:
Ah okay, I see what you mean, but its kind of hard to visualize your problem without a demo of some sorts (would you mind that or...) however in the mean time, do you have a parallel process event going on outside all these events? And what I mean by each specific spot has an event, is that when the player comes to an intersection or whatever, an event that you place ON the intersection turns on.

EXACTLY! When the player arrives at an intersection, the direction choise is brought up! You described it easier than I did xD exactly like that!

HERE'S A VID OF MY PROBLEM. Will make it a lot easier:
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=23h7udl&s=7

And no I dont have a parallell process either. But I do have"Wait For Move's Completion". But I dont know what it can be:/

lol I see now, I don't understand what the problem could be then, could you post a screenshot of the event that looks the same of the previous intersection. Basically, can you show a screenshot of how the event looks of the intersection that shouldn't have the choice "Right".

TheScripter":aq8vsd81 said:
lol I see now, I don't understand what the problem could be then, could you post a screenshot of the event that looks the same of the previous intersection. Basically, can you show a screenshot of how the event looks of the intersection that shouldn't have the choice "Right".

It really doesn't matter, becasue as you saw, everything is messed up and offset. The things that should happen happens later and vice-versa.

But I could post some pictures om my events in the railway puzzle:

FIRST INTERSECTION:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/10549027.png/

SECOND / COULD POSSIBLY BE LATER / ANYWHERE:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/148/cr2.png/

Heres a new vid of the event lists:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ngakp1&s=7

If this is unclear I can PM you a demo. But it might be more difficult doing that:P

I spotted some things that MIGHT be the problem, for example how due to you not putting a "Wait until move's completion" after picking the choice "Right" in the first intersection after the switches are on. But ultimately, I think I'll need that demo, if its too much of a hassle, I'll keep looking at the video, but it's hard for to find the problem unless I can test it myself.

TheScripter":1vvg9rqx said:
I spotted some things that MIGHT be the problem, for example how due to you not putting a "Wait until move's completion" after picking the choice "Right" in the first intersection after the switches are on. But ultimately, I think I'll need that demo, if its too much of a hassle, I'll keep looking at the video, but it's hard for to find the problem unless I can test it myself.

Ok, I will test to ADD "wait for move's completion". If that DOESN'T work I can paste the MAP in an empty project with the events on it and then post you the demo. Would that be ok?

EDIT: Ok it doesn't work, even when I added "wait for move's completion". I am posting a demo to you, and thank you very much for helping me btw:) I hope you have RGSS, because I am makinga quick demo with original RTP! OBS!

I have solved how everything shall work, but it seems that I have missed some things. Here is how I have the puzzle work so far:

*Whenever a direction choise has been made, the lorry moves to the next intersection
*The new intersection is set to Event Touch that turns OFF the previous intersection and turns ON the new one with switches.

Take a closer look here:

1zmmv7a.png

My problem is that I don't remembered how I did this so if you understand switches and Everything and can see what I am missing I would be so grateful!

The easiest way to help me is to download my demo of the puzzle map:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mlumf3

If it seems to work bug-test it as far as you can, please! I am sure there still are errors.
Please repost the zip-file as I sent it, with the two maps named Cerita.

Thanks in advice!

Spoo

Sponsor

So there are a couple of things I've found so far. Number one is a seemingly useless screen pan after hitting the "DOWN" switch. I'm guessing that, since hitting that plate triggers the change for Intersection 4, you're trying to show that. Problem is, the player probably hasn't been that far left on the map just yet; it's unlikely they'd deliberately choose the dead end and get off the lorry to explore. Even if the player did explore, the change of the rail is subtle at best. I would advise centering the screen on Intersection 4 for a few seconds, then change the graphic, probably with a sound effect as well, just to drive the point home to the player what just happened.

Second, there is a game-breaking bug at intersection 4. After triggering switch 0228 and being guided back to the intersection automatically, the player is given free control of the lorry and is unable to further interact with any switches. I'll get more in-depth with this one in a second. I'm trying to isolate the problem.

Also, I have to be blunt here: Your switches are extremely inefficient. Rather than mapping a single intersection to a single switch, you have two switches named INTERX OFF and INTERX ON. It's super confusing.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.