Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

HBGG | HBGames.org: The Game

Injury

Awesome Bro

Got the same error again. Uploaded Room, went to community hall, choose my room, it downloads, sends me back to community hall, go back and try to enter and get the same error.

So it turns out that the RGSS function load_data has inconsistent behaviour. It will read from a file using the working directory as long as the game isn't being run using an encrypted archive.
I'm not sure why it lets you get away with it provided the project is uncompressed, but I know the source of the issue now.

EDIT: I've uploaded a fixed version, please re-download.
Your issue Injury would have only occurred in uncompressed rooms, which are probably bad practice to use anyway, but in any case it's fixed.

I still need to work out the graphic problems - sending binary stuff over my socket is pretty hacked together, but it's the best I've got at the moment.
Try placing a me.png file next to the Game.exe and see what happens. The file must be under 15kB.

People uploading their own rooms makes it interesting to play even when there is no one else online. There are 3 rooms so far, but two of them are tests, so it's pretty much unplayable at the moment unless you're interested in creating content for it.

If that's the case, make a room / game with the project provided and upload it in-game. Because it's still very new, the room database is still pretty empty, and only other people can fill that for me.

I just uploaded version 0.1.1, which hopefully fixes some custom graphic issues. I'll add a changelog when I get around to it.

ZenVirZan":3l36r1uf said:
I still need to work out the graphic problems - sending binary stuff over my socket is pretty hacked together, but it's the best I've got at the moment.
Try placing a me.png file next to the Game.exe and see what happens. The file must be under 15kB.
I did try both with and without a me.png (12kB file), I was certainly invisible with both scenarios.

Xilef":24doozvv said:
ZenVirZan":24doozvv said:
I did try both with and without a me.png (12kB file), I was certainly invisible with both scenarios.
Fortunately, I can see your graphic right here so my janky uploading actually works correctly. I guess I must be missing something with the downloading then.

At least that narrows it down a bit.

Something tells me that these rooms would make a good mapping contest for the forums. Much easier, more integrated and better than having it all piled on as separate downloads.

Perhaps you could even have a "featured room" link and everyone can go see the best rooms made.

Sure, I can do that. I'll get started on it now.
I'll add two new room lists under "Search" - "Latest" and "Featured". I'll manually maintain the "Featured" list, but the "Latest" will be the users who have uploaded their room the most recently.

Also, someone attempted to connect last night but I received a broken handshake - don't forget to get v0.1.1, as it includes versioning now to remind you to stay up to date.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Thinking....

Can you port this to RMVX? I figure you could get more traction/attention for this project in this regard...or possibly develop a script library that can be easily implemented in a game to allow "instanced" levels of the game...or something like that...I really like the idea, and I'm almost tempted to ask for some script support in this regard to create a game based around this.

Community hall, portals to different levels, ALA Gauntlet but RPG based...hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMM...Community based canon in a game...pick your own quest kind of stuff...

I might make a level in my room for a test

I haven't used VXA before, but I hated VX's mapping tools and I imagine the map creation is somewhat similar. Mapping in VX sucked really bad compared to XP imho, so I chose XP.
If that wasn't the case, I'd consider it.

I can add temporary saves (aren't stored via server though) and I can put the menu back in if you'd like. I removed it because it would be messy depending on what people decided to do with it. You can also use as many maps as you want, and I may add instancing in the future. Instancing is a little more difficult and would increase server load by a bit more, but it would definitely be possible. I'll add all three of these to my //TODO list.

Also, came across a Pokémon game I made when I was 10, and it got me thinking - I might make a little Pokémon game for my room. Your little game also made me realise that there is a lot you can actually do with the framework I've made that I haven't really seen myself.
I'll make my room a tech demo.

Oh my god. How did I miss this.

This is amazing.

Look at this thing. It's amazing. I don't even know how to respond.

Brb playing around with this.

I played some of your room Injury and I realised that 1) I need to wrap the gameover and battles to send back to hall correctly / restart the room, and 2) I must also bring the menu back again as well. You can't make an RPG without a menu ;_;

Injury

Awesome Bro

I was thinking that through a playthrough of the game...make an alternative menu button or something or possibly modifying the default menu script to add a return_to_hall function built into the default menu.

Void wasn't meant to be easy, so no apologies :P

menu/altenative menu button
community hall instanced events
groups?!?!
-people can group together and go through a room, making choices individually in battle or something
-groups can compete in time trials to beat each other at completing a room
-etc
community hall bgm (already in update)
fix chat lag/fix chat character input length possibly???

other thoughts shall come to me in time!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.