Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

HBGG | HBGames.org: The Game

HBGG | HBGames.org: The Game (alpha)
Official Title Pending | Official Title Art Pending

SERVER IS CURRENTLY OFFLINE
as of 13/12/2015. I am happy to re-open it if desired.

HBGG is an online multiplayer interactive experience, where you can chat to other members and visit custom made rooms.
Rooms are created in RPG Maker XP and uploaded using the game client.

Screenshots
screen1.png
screen2.png

screen3.png
screen4.png

screen5.png

Features

• Multiplayer Interaction: Talk with friends!
  • Visit friends' rooms!
  • Feature complete RPG Maker XP emulation: If you can make it in stock RPG Maker XP, you can make it for everyone to enjoy!
  • Universal Lobby area
  • Scripting support*
  • Custom player graphics!

*Only from within call script. See Room Limitations below.

How to use
Creating a room
  • Open the included MyRoom project with your RPG Maker XP installation. If it fails to open, copy and replace the included Game.rxproj file with one of your own.
  • Build your room until you are ready to deploy it.
  • Compress Game Data (File > Compress Game Data). Make sure to check the "Create Encrypted Archive" checkbox!
  • Save the file to the same folder as HBGG's Game.exe.
  • Rename the "MyRoom.exe" to "MyRoom Encrypted.exe"
  • Extract it into the same folder it is in.
  • Open HBGG and select "Upload Room"
  • Wait for the room to upload.
Please note that the room upload will take a little while to process even after your upload has completed. Please be patient and try again later if it does not load straight away.

Creating a custom player graphic
  • Place your desired graphic in the same folder as the Game.exe
  • Name it "me.png"
  • Run the game.

Room Features
There are multiple changes made to the stock RPG Maker XP scripts that are supported across all rooms, and are available for everyone to use in their rooms.
  • Starting an event name with [N] will make the event name appear above the event's head.
  • Starting an event name with [F] will make it draw below all objects (opposite to always on top)
  • Using return_to_hall in a script call will return the player to the hall exterior

Room Limitations
For one reason or another, be it for security or end-user experience, there are limitations put in place for user rooms.
  • Maximum filesize is 20MB
  • Menu has been disabled
  • You cannot access IO, File, Dir, Thread, Win32API, $scene or $DEBUG from within a script call
  • You cannot define new classes, functions or aliases from within a script call

Download
Please Note: For the latest release of HBGG, the RPG Maker XP RTP is required.
Download version v0.2.0 (25/07/2015) - Alpha
View Changelog (Up to date with unreleased builds)

If the game hangs on startup, don't worry - I'm probably fiddling with the server or asleep. Please try again later.
If you experience any crashes, please post them in this thread.

This will be an interesting experiment.

Can we use custom tile-sets and graphics?

EDIT: I get this after downloading your room; http://i.imgur.com/PaUjyH6.png

Ran as administrator and in various compatibility modes with the same result. Tried deleting cache and userdata.dat file.

Also I uploaded my room, it says successful and all but it doesn't appear in the search for my name.

Additionally, you need to make Graphics, Audio and Data folders for your Room to upload properly, otherwise it cannot find the folders.

It would also be handy if you bundle the RGSS102E dll with the download, I have 104E so had to root around for 102E.

Xilef":cbpabvxa said:
Can we use custom tile-sets and graphics?
Sure can, it can do everything but scripts.

EDIT: I get this after downloading your room; http://i.imgur.com/PaUjyH6.png
Looks like it kicks up a fuss when trying to clear the folder. I'll have a look.

Also I uploaded my room, it says successful and all but it doesn't appear in the search for my name.
It never finished on this end. Hmm. I'll need to set up some more accurate debugging output.

Additionally, you need to make Graphics, Audio and Data folders for your Room to upload properly, otherwise it cannot find the folders.
Was it a game crash, or just a message in the debug console? If it's just a message, that's alright, I can separate the different compression styles later.
I'll include RGSS102E as well, thanks for reminding me.

Cheers for giving it a shot, its a massive help.

ZenVirZan":1h3vrc3t said:
Was it a game crash, or just a message in the debug console? If it's just a message, that's alright, I can separate the different compression styles later.
Sorry for not being specific, it was in the console log. When it occurred the upload would cancel rather than crash.

Xilef":2sgx20ie said:
ZenVirZan":2sgx20ie said:
Sorry for not being specific, it was in the console log. When it occurred the upload would cancel rather than crash.
No problem. Out of curiosity, when you click OK to start packaging, try tapping the OK button once really quickly with your enter key, rather than at normal press duration.

ZenVirZan":2oeodvtb said:
Out of curiosity, when you click OK to start packaging, try tapping the OK button once really quickly with your enter key, rather than at normal press duration.
Lightly tapping enter seems to have worked.

I get the same bad file descriptor error. I also got another error, but I failed to take a screenshot of it (natural reaction was to click Ok...). It was a failed instruction I think.

EDIT: Got this just now immediately after entering the map; http://i.imgur.com/OoAQdoj.png (fall-backs required?)

Xilef":2ljj0m61 said:
EDIT: Got this just now immediately after entering the map; http://i.imgur.com/OoAQdoj.png (fall-backs required?)
Does that file exist in that path? It should only attempt to load that file when it exists.

EDIT: I've fixed the accidental cancelling thing on my end, and I managed to get into your room, so uploading should be okay for now.
8608fc9b4e.png

Alright so I figured out the 0.png and some of the crashes with trying to load my character png. I forgot about the hidden 10kb me.png file rule, so it was messing up within the server. I patched that, and made it only load your graphic as others would see it - relies on an echo'd copy back from the server.
Can I get you to re-download and try again when you can?

ZenVirZan":27d03lh1 said:
Alright so I figured out the 0.png and some of the crashes with trying to load my character png. I forgot about the hidden 10kb me.png file rule, so it was messing up within the server. I patched that, and made it only load your graphic as others would see it - relies on an echo'd copy back from the server.
Can I get you to re-download and try again when you can?
I've only just been able to re-download and test.

I get RGSS Player has stopped working immediately on launch.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Downloaded. Edit the room a bit. Ran the Game.exe...Lovely music!

But, went to non-responding, and then popped a Script Error: Script Hanging message.

Didn't see anything in the console.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Logged into IE. Uploaded my room. Logged in, good to go in community hall, tried to go to my room, sent back to community hall. tried to enter the door again, said I was running a no no script and then threw a couldn't find actor console message before crashing.

Injury":314iz73h said:
Logged into IE. Uploaded my room. Logged in, good to go in community hall, tried to go to my room, sent back to community hall. tried to enter the door again, said I was running a no no script and then threw a couldn't find actor console message before crashing.
I see. How did it send you back from your room the first time? Did it say the room crashed?

I think the script error was thrown due to latency somehow, because I use scripts in events on the hall map that you can't use in rooms and it got confused. I've fixed that on my end, and I'll upload a new version once I know why you got booted from your room.

Injury

Awesome Bro

When I walked in, I searched my name, then I hit enter room, and it did its thing and just sent me back to the community hall...

I'll look into it more in a bit, I just got off work.

EDIT: Screen shots

xcmyhv.png
qs6o0y.png

Made some changes to v0.1.0. Give it a shot when you can and let me know how it goes :thumb:
I also added some extra debugging features so I can see more of what's going on.

EDIT: The server will be down for the next few days, change of plan. I'll update the thread when it's back. This should be the last time for a while that it needs to go down like this.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.