Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Has anyone use gamemaker and is it easier than rpg maker

im trying to use game maker becuase some told me its better for a megaman battle system. I want to know what you guys think and where can i get a tutorial.

Basically, here's what it boils down to:
RPG Maker is made for making RPGs. It's good at it. It's flexible enough to make a platformer, but it's a headache. (Only true with RMXP.)
Game Maker is made for making platformers, shooters and other, similar games. It's good at it. It's flexible enough to make an RPG, but it's a headache.
The flexibility of both systems is necessary when you want to do something that's a little out of the ordinary. (Both GML and RGSS are equally powerful.) I admit, Game Maker doesn't come with much in the way of graphics or sounds, but there are a lot of free resources out there (like those on this site :D ). On the other hand Game Maker is 1/3 the price of RPG Maker.
Anyway, I (personally) wouldn't try to make a console-style RPG with Game Maker, and I wouldn't try and make a platformer or shooter with RPG Maker.

Edit: Doh. I didn't notice how old this thread was. Sorry about that.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.