Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Has anyone use gamemaker and is it easier than rpg maker

im trying to use game maker becuase some told me its better for a megaman battle system. I want to know what you guys think and where can i get a tutorial.

Wrong forum. Reported for move to the Game Creation forum.

Yes, it's easier but more limited. RGSS is a version of Ruby, which is a real programming language, so possibilities are unlimited. However, to make such a system is Game Maker, you would need to know GML, which is a more limited scripting language.

No, Gamemaker is harder than rpg maker xp. With gamemaker you need to get all your own resources(Well, some are provided) and its much hardier to get your game working and looking good. But Gamemaker is not for making rpgs, all though you can, its much more difficult.
And are you sure it has a more limited scripting language Twar3Draconis? I dont know much about it, but how can a scripting language that supports 3D graphics be more limited that one that doesnt. Well like i said, i dont know much about that.

The GM engine is universal in use, but it is not specialized. RGSS cannot use 3D with the default because it was not included in the code and engine, however you should be able call external dlls and the WinAPI. GML supports 3D, but you'll have to code that out yourself, along with making the data. I don't think GML can utilize the WinAPI. If you've already paid 60 dollars for RMXP, why switch over until you are sure that what you want cannot be done, although with RMXP is can be done. For example, if you can get all the code in the RMXP script editor, along with the hidden code and you use the RGSS102E.dll, you should be able to interpret RGSS from Ruby, while GML is specific to GM itself.

I use Game Maker 6.1 and it's the only language I have just about mastered.

GM
-Can make RPGs, (if you are a god)
-Can make 3D, Platform, RTS, MMO, Online, TDS, FPS, etc. You name it, it can make it.
-Slower than other languages, but can be extended with DLLs.
-Creates EXEs for your games that do not require external resources and files.
-Does not come with a Prebuilt Battle, Movement, NPC, etc system.
-The list goes on.

RMXP
-RPGs can be made, even if you're a n00b.
-Prebuilt, all you really need to do is design areas and you have yourself an RPG within no time at all.
-The list goes on.

GMers tend to view RMXP as a n00b program... Why? Because almost everything is simple and user friendly.

RMXPers, well I don't use RMXP a lot, but if I did, I would see GMers as people who have WAY too much patience. (it takes years to master GML enough to where it is useful.)

And yes, RPGs can be made in GM. If you want to see a sample, visit this site: My Showcase @ 64 Digits.

Oh, and I found a Mega Man Tutorial... I don't know if it works, but here's the link: Mega Man.

-DF81

All of the game types that you mentioned can be made with RMXP at this time. Except there is only pseudo-3D. You just need to add the appropriate script. There is even a Tactical Battle System released.

Game Maker "Compiles" all of the resources, data, and the such into a single file, called an EXE. You know the Archive, Game.rgssad, that RMXP makes when you publish your game? Well, GM does that, except it's included in the EXE instead of in the open where people can steal your resources. (not that EXE hacking hasn't been done before, but it's much safer.)

RMXP : is my best program for creating RPG game without headach
but is my worst for creating Platform Game I love Game Maker for this reasons

well

GML = is easy than RGSS

and for ppl who said gamemaker is worst
in my view he will be more famous than RMXP
1- the game which made by gamemaker is EXE ( you don't need RTP or something like this)
2- no one can hack your game resources

some game are realy Heavy made with GM :

I see an RPG game called ARK22
and don't forgot gamemaker can handle 3D games too ^-^

and yesterday gamemaker 7 was releasd

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker

use GameMaker if you want the easier way to create Mega Man Battle System in my Opinion

PrinceXP;165081 said:
RMXP : is my best program for creating RPG game without headach
but is my worst for creating Platform Game I love Game Maker for this reasons

well

GML = is easy than RGSS

and for ppl who said gamemaker is worst
in my view he will be more famous than RMXP
1- the game which made by gamemaker is EXE ( you don't need RTP or something like this)
2- no one can hack your game resources

some game are realy Heavy made with GM :

I see an RPG game called ARK22
and don't forgot gamemaker can handle 3D games too ^-^

and yesterday gamemaker 7 was releasd

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker

use GameMaker if you want the easier way to create Mega Man Battle System in my Opinion
Uhm, it's only easy to get resources from a exe if you know how. Different encryptions etc. The encryptions were released by some crackers for game maker anyway. So even easier.

The thing about gamemaker is the overall layout, its harder to make maps and such, Its hard to get characters to talk(in text boxes I mean). And its just harder to use, I'd prefer RPG maker. If gamemaker ever changed there layout and some of the "message" features, I'd use it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.