Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ghost Shards: The Stonesinger

Xhukari":94ob6iw9 said:
Strawberrii":94ob6iw9 said:
I don't think Star wants any sort of spikes or anything on her skin. I'm sorry.
So wait... it is a smooth skinned women with greenish skin?... Why not just call it an elf? :p

Uh you don't see the branches in her hair? The leaf ears? The vines on her arms? The flower in her hair?

She's a friggin Alraune living among humans for peep sake.

Star wants her to be humanoid for story purposes.

Problem?

Strawberrii":197oqkn8 said:
Uh you don't see the branches in her hair? The leaf ears? The vines on her arms? The flower in her hair?

I wondered if the leafs were her ears or just earrings. I never considered the vines and branches to be part of her body, they look more like accessories since you don't see them connected to her body. I think unifying the colors would help. Because the cactus green tail, vines, light blue-green skin, and brown branches don't read as if they were growing from the same thing because the colors are different hues and you don't see them fading into each other.
Maybe something like this? Although vines coming out of someone or even a vine structures under the skin might make her less cute and more creepy.
Personally I like this dress. The yellow was too much. Maybe something red to go with the poppy flower?
poppy22outfitideaB.png

Updated the cast!

Sprites of the playable cast in Ghost Shards!

Who's your favorite? ^_^
gschars.png

Aelina Rowan

aelinaspr.png

A 20-year old songstress working at the Snowblanket Lodge in the town of Evertear. She is one of the many daughters of the infamed Necromancer, Midlyn Rowan. She continuously has a cheerful and spirited demeanor, but harbors a dark-side that comes out randomly. She uses Scythes and Staffs in combat, and specializes in supporting her allies; although she can be a capable fighter as well.

Narie Tearwyn

nariespr.png

A 23-year old Crusader who lost her twin sister, Sarie several years prior to the story. The oldest female of the group, she acts as a motherly figure, with her constant nagging. She prefers one-handed weapons such as swords and maces with her shield during combat. She is an all-rounder during battle - capable of dealing damage, healing, and tanking.

Zarric Bastion

zarricspr.png

Aelina's 24-year old boyfriend and childhood sweetheart. He was the son of a general, before a twisted plot killed his father. He is very optimistic, and always looks at the bright side of things. He swings his large two-handed axe or hammer in battle heavily, and focuses on dishing out damage during battle.

Demi Carinae

demispr.png

A 29-year old captain of the Crusaders, who is the oldest member of the group. He is a renowned ladies' man and a constant jokester, but can get serious when the time is right. He wields a spear in battle and specializes in taking hits.

Kyran Sage

kyranspr.png

A mysterious 24-year old man who hides his face. He is cold-hearted and does not seem to care about anyone - despite traveling with a young girl. He uses two curved blades in battle and focuses on taking enemies down quickly.

Poppy

poppyspr.png

A 15-year old girl who came from an enchanted forest that was burned down. She is very shy and timid, yet has a love for books - making her very intelligent for her age. She travels with Kyran who saved her life. She is the a long-distance fighter, utilizing magic and her longbow in battle.

Reina Rowan

reinaspr.png

Aelina's 18-year old sister who rivals her in Stonesinging. Favored by their father, Midlyn, she finally get to travel the world with his permission. She is heavily spoiled and very cocky. She can use staffs and curved blades in battle, and serves as the game's main healer.

~+~+~+~+~+~~+~+~+~+~+~+~~+

Sarie Tearwyn

sariebspr.png

Narie's deceased twin sister who was a Stonesinger before her death. She is seen mostly in flashbacks.

Gwyn Faowind

gwynbspr.png

A friend of Aelina's who is hidden from the rest of the world as she is believed to be dead. She is a tomboy by nature.

dcbd

i'm gonna go with kyran for now, everyone else looks too bright for me.
come to think of it, i don't think i've seen any male artwork from you, besides this:
Demi_Face.png

Bright? What the hell are you talking about?

You know why? I am NOT the character artist for this game.

They get done, when they get done.

You haven't seen Young Kyran's portrait?

OK.. Im confused... strawberrii.. as much as i can't wait for this game to
be finished so i can play it.. can I ask you a question?

Why are you posting things on here for people to give their opinions when
you can't take their criticismns? PMSL

I just find it amusing that on every page of this thread you STRESS about
someones comment... LOL... anyhows.. I think the artworks fine, it goes
well with some of the ingame pictures you've posted. I can see DCBD's
point though but only in 2 of ur sprite pictures.. poppy's and Aelina's..
they do seem slightly brighter than the other characterset pictures but I
guess as they are of different race or whatever.. skin tone.. ect would b
different so personally I think it works.

keep up the good wrk.. I'm looking forward to this project to be finished.

Dear gawd, it has nothing to do with that.

I don't understand how he thinks they are "bright". I see a lot dark skinned characters, and dark colored clothing. I don't see like uber bright anything.

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see what he's on about.

Unless he's expecting a cast of a emo kids?

And don't push me, mister. :P

EDIT:

I don't really try to get worked up, but I just don't understand the minds of others sometimes. o.o

?? dnt push you? i was only making a comment.. as i stated, I personally
think they are fine.. maybe the dudes just got his monitor contrast/color
up to high which would contribute to EVERYTHING looking brighter.. lol

Cait

I don't think they're too bright, but the sister of Aelina's sisters skin stands out quite a bit only because her hair is a dark blue. So you notice the skin more than you would have otherwise. Although, changing the color can't change that, as you notice that even if the hair was lightened. (^.^) I don't have any favorites, for me, I only have characters I don't like. So far I don't have any of those. Just remember opinions are like butts, we all have one, some are just smellier than others. Though I agreed with decanos, his monitor might need adjusting, because I think their skin tones look fine.

I'm thinking of changing Aelina and Reina's skin tones to not-as-white colors as they are weird.

And also, "don't push me mister" was a joke, hence the :P.

I have to ask Star if he'll let me change skin tones, though. >>

dcbd

i didn't mean it literally, well kind of, i like darker clothing in general. on first impressions, kyran seems the most interesting to me.
let's just forget i said anything.

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let you all know that we are still alive and kicking, and working on the game! Certain events slowed us down a bit, but fear not, we're still making the game. It won't die, I promise. :D

Picture previews of things to come.

A Giant Ice Rat.
201204281615010002.jpg

An Icedactyl.

These are portraits of the opposing forces of evil.
facesofevil.jpg

One of the bad guys.
lightside.jpg

A native creature to swamplands; a naga.
nagao.jpg
A

A naga's mount.
nagamount.jpg

Heavy relic armor.
relicarmorheavy.jpg

Light relic armor.
relicarmorlight.jpg

Relic weapons.
relicweapons.jpg

An antagonist named Strun Frost-Mane.
strun.jpg

Hello!

Sorry for not updating in a long time - progress has been slow. We are working on the game still, though! No worries. ^^

I have come to ask a question or two. I hope you will answer to the best of your abilities.

1) One concerns the character of Poppy - the innocent looking young plant girl. She is 16 when she joins the party and develops a crush on a 25 year old man that saved her life before the events of story. Is 16 too young for a grand fantasy adventure, despite her being inhuman? Does it seem natural for a 16-year old plant girl to develop a crush on a guy that saved her months earlier?

I have thought of increasing her age to make it seem more reasonable. Maybe to 18 or 19, since she IS a young type of character. Should I not worry about this?

2) This game is being created by a group of friends. The problem is that we all have someone we'd like to be in the party. Big Boss says he WANTS/NEEDS Aelina, Narie, Zarric, Demi, Kyran, Poppy, and Reina in the party. That's 7 so far, but then... The concept artist wants his character, I want to add a witty assassin, the writer has two characters, etc.

I would love to make them all happy and have these characters be playable, but... It's too much. Do you guys have any ideas of what can be done? I could make them important NPCs, but I'm afraid of hurting feelings in the process.

I love the idea of the game - bringing the characters to life. I've been afraid that no matter how hard we work on it, by the time it's finished no one will want to play it. I would be afraid of everything going to waste. I'm still paranoid about that, by the way. I'm hoping something gets done soon! I even wanted to hire artists and mappers - but Big Boss isn't fond of getting more people. :(

Well,
thanks for reading!

Your first concern shouldn't be. I don't have any issue with any of it, and it all seems plausible. Her younger age helps make the crush even more convincing because you can own it up to puppy love.

For the second concern, you're making a game. Everyone should realise this; not everything you want to be in the game, can be. Choose those which would fit best, to help expand the game. Some of your friends will have to understand, you can always offer them an NPC role like you said, or an easter egg or 'patch it in after' option, possibly.

Your other concerns are normal. Just remember; are you enjoying the game when you play it? If you are, then others could! If you don't, well...

There was a big discussion about character age in RPGs on kotaku, the general thinking is that RPG games should keep the average character age the same as the target audience's, however a lot of people are pissed off at the teenagers featured in final fantasy games, but it does depend on the target audience, a 16 year old for instance wouldn't think 16 is too young to fall in love and go on adventures.

You are allowed to never mention your character's ages, I don't think players even notice age

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.