Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ghost Shards: The Stonesinger

I notice ages all the time! XD I'm probably strange. Anyways, I thank you both for your help. ^__^

Hello everyone!

Today I have some visual progress to show you all! Exciting, isn't it?

Firstly, I've re-mapped some of the interiors of the starting town, Evertear. I want to show some before and after screenshots so you can see the difference - and give me your opinion! I basically put together my own tileset for the after versions. ^^

ahbeforeafter.png

tavernbeforeafter.png

Secondly, I've been itching to work on cutscenes. I've attempted to create the first one with the two party members together at camp. Usually I make the base scene, and the big boss then takes and enhances it. What you see below are what I have done.

campscene01.png

campscene02.png

campscene03.png

Thanks for reading!

Do they just stand there and talk? I'd make them walk around acting "busy" whilst talking, like rolling out sleeping bags if that's a camp or getting fire wood. I detest the feeding of dialogue, makes me mash the continue button, visual distractions help me absorb dialogue and the story more so.

This is looking great, I agree with Xilef though with regards animation while talking. Even if it's something simple like hand gestures or changing their position a little it would be a big boost.

Hello all! Or Some! O_oa

About a month ago Big Boss declared that soon he will be releasing a teaser demo containing some cut-scenes and the battle system he's been working hard on.

All he has to do is finish the graphics needed and tweak the battle system some more - including a boss fight. In my opinion he's about 85% there. The goal he set for himself has really helped make some progress. :D

Speaking of battle graphics, I thought I'd show off what he's made so far - in the form of GIFs. Everyone loves those, right!? >>;;

Please note we have made more since I made these. ^_^;;

KYRAN
Kyran+Battle_Ani+Front.gif

Kyran+Act.gif

Kyran+Victory.gif

NARIE
YNarie+Battle_Ani+Front.gif

YNarie+Victory.gif

SARIE
Sarie+Battle_Ani+Front.gif

Sarie+Act.gif

Sarie+Cast_Magic.gif

That concludes this update! Thanks for reading! :D

zchin

Sponsor

Honestly, those are amazing sprites you have there, the only thing that bothers me Kyrans 2nd gif might need some more frames, or motion blurs cause it's pretty choppy.

Tyahand

Yeah, haha, I made a terrible gif of Kyran's attack. It was hard. ;_;

He actually looks better in game. Star finally got around with giving him a special move too. Looks pretty sweet. XD

Yeah, we're still working. ;_; Slowly. >> I'M SO SORRY FOR ANYONE THAT CARES.

I want to go down some memory lane. Such as old ideas and concepts. FUN, HUH?

DID YOU KNOW AELINA USED TO BE CHUBBY, AND BLONDE!

Check these out!

6fo.png

8ym.png

LOOKIE AN OLD PICTURE OF NARIE!

Narie_Face2.png

The characters also used to have classes that would branch out to other classes. It was kind of cool, actually. I wonder why we quit that route? D=

Also, as usual I tried to change SOMETHING about Aelina. This time, her hair color!

t8q.png

(Do any of them actually look GOOD?)

Wasn't this funnnn!?

Thanks for reading!

I loved the memory lane trip. I actually prefer the last one with the white hair on the bottom row. also the one right above that one is good too.

DEMO IS OUT!!!!

Check it out here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/3821112974/ ... Shards.exe

We apologize for the lack of sprite graphics during the attacking animations for the battle system. When the character turns a certain color, it means they have run out of "stamina" and must wait a few seconds before attacking again.

KEY D = Defend
ENTER = Attack or C
SKILLS = Q, W, A, or S

Thank you for trying out the demo!

We welcome all feedback!

The battle system ran smoothly. Narie's attacks didn't have much range, swiping the tile in front, kinda useless on moving targets. Kyran did all the work, he was pretty effective with his one slash attack somehow managing to hit all the enemies at once when they're in a line.

You can't cancel out of the target select when you use Narie's mercy skill.
It's hard to tell how much Stamina you have. It gets confusing when you gang up on something, you can't tell how often you're hitting it because you flash yellow every once and a while; and you can't differentiate damage dealt by the other characters. Plus Narie's slashes aren't noticeable when you're that close together, it might help if she shifted her body in some way that you can see she's not just standing there.

When you have scenes like the boss battle where the character's move into position at the bottom of the screen. It would more effective if you could just flash the screen white and move the characters to those spots instead of waiting for them to walk there.

Star

Sponsor

coyotecraft":2dafuua3 said:
The battle system ran smoothly. Narie's attacks didn't have much range, swiping the tile in front, kinda useless on moving targets. Kyran did all the work, he was pretty effective with his one slash attack somehow managing to hit all the enemies at once when they're in a line.

You can't cancel out of the target select when you use Narie's mercy skill.
It's hard to tell how much Stamina you have. It gets confusing when you gang up on something, you can't tell how often you're hitting it because you flash yellow every once and a while; and you can't differentiate damage dealt by the other characters. Plus Narie's slashes aren't noticeable when you're that close together, it might help if she shifted her body in some way that you can see she's not just standing there.

When you have scenes like the boss battle where the character's move into position at the bottom of the screen. It would more effective if you could just flash the screen white and move the characters to those spots instead of waiting for them to walk there.
Thanks for the feedback bro.

The battle system ran smoothly? I though it was slow as heck lol. Narie's attacks really don't have much range, not yet at least. Her Rising Slash can knock an enemy in the air.

The reason Kyran does all the work is this..
Max hit
Kyran = 4 hits
Narie = 3 hits
Sarie = 2 hits

Speed
Kyran = 4
Narie = 3.5
Sarie = 3

It's supposed to progress as you level, but in the flashback nobody levels.

The flashing yellow is just a placeholder graphic. Eventually I'll have all the graphics where you can see what's going on better. Narie will attack like Kyran one to the right, left and then right again. Side sweeps :D

ALSO, I want feedback, I had a stamina bar once, but I took it out, should I bring it back?

As for the teleporting thing, I thought it would be kinda lame, I dunno, I'd want more feed back on that one before I decide what to do. If more people think it's annoying to wait then I'll just do what you said. :)

Thanks for playing, I hope you stay with us for future releases.

It wasn't choppy or anything. The sprite animation speeds just seemed a little slow.

Yes, Stamina bar. Otherwise I was just guessing. How about now? no. now? nope, got to wait longer... Then I'd attack and be out of stamina again.

Alright, I just got through the demo, here's some of my first impressions:

The first thing that stuck out for me was the voice acting. I liked the dialogue between the characters, it brought the character's personalities to life. Hearing all the characters in battle was cool too, despite some occasionally borderline corny one-liners. The music in general was nice, although the enemy "!" noise and the glass breaking before every battle were both slightly jarring. I won't say too much on the mapping, as I don't think it was the focus of the demo, but there's room for improvement. The mapping itself seemed generic and slightly bland. Not saying it was terrible, but didn't hold any true wow factor.

Now onto the biggest thing, the battle system. It still seems a little rough around the edges, but I can see a lot of potential here. One thing you may want to reconsider is including a tutorial of sorts. I'm not sure how far along the game the demo is taking place, but when I got into my first battle, I wasn't sure who I was controlling, what any of my skills did, or if I was supposed to be switching between characters. I might suggest having Narie in a battle by herself in the beginning of the game, then introduce the other characters and her skills as the player progresses.

As coyotecraft already mentioned, the biggest problem is there's no way to tell when Narie is out of stamina and isn't able to attack anymore. I'd either look into removing the idea of stamina completely, or show the player some kind of visual clue as to when they're able to attack. If you decide to go with a stamina bar, instead of preventing the player from attacking, you could use the bar's current level to determine how much damage the attack is dealing. So for example, the bar could go from green to yellow to red, which would yield high, medium, and low strength attacks respectfully. Just tossing out ideas of course, just food for thought.

My second biggest complaint might be the fact that the battles themselves just weren't that interesting. I can appreciate the active battle system, and seeing the NPC's in your party fighting along side you was really cool, so kudos in regards to that. However, the enemies themselves all behaved pretty much the same: they showed no intelligence other than to move very slowly toward you and attack. No different attacks or movement patterns from what I could tell, which is a real shame considering how well the NPC's seem to behave in comparison. It's also worth mentioning I never used defend once, in any of the battles I encountered. I also didn't even have to heal myself, the AI kept healing me whenever I came anywhere close to dying, which meant none of the battles proved to be any more than a space bar mash fest. Even worse, the battles yielded no sense in accomplishment. At the end of combat, you could have a battle results screen show above the characters when they're doing their victory poses. I know you said no one levels in the demo, but give the player some sense of accomplishment. Show the player they got experience, slime goo, gold...anything for their efforts.

Just a heads up, I had to play through twice. The first time through I got a bug, after I got into the cave and the slime dropped from the ceiling behind me.
lgi8.png

To end on a positive note, I feel like what you guys have done so far is great, and I'm looking forward to continue watching this project develop. I hope the feedback I left was helpful, I'll certainly be checking back for future demos.

Thank your feedback, guys!

Here's an update to the demo that Star released.

For those that already have the game, there's a patch that has everything but the audio and he's also included a coopy of the whole game.

PATCH:

http://rapidshare.com/files/1413890847/ ... 0Patch.exe

DEMO V1.2

http://rapidshare.com/files/3140345646/ ... 20V1.2.exe

Changes include:
* A new enemy detection script made by Star, replacing Gubid's that causes no erros
* A stamina bar
* MP healing at the end of battle
* Back attacks, sneak attacks and surprise attacks have been added
* A number of graphical bugs and glitches have been fixed
* An ability to save during the demo using the (crappy) menu

Thank you very much!

We'd love hear feedback!

Hello all!

I wanted to update everyone on several things - and get opinions.

About the Demo:
Believe it or not the demo the was RUSHED. We wanted to put something PLAYABLE out there to show that we were really working on this game, and to get feedback. We weren't really getting much before, and it really made us sad-pandas.

A lot of people mentioned the same things when playing it - things Big Boss (Star) already knew. We realize that the menus/title screen looks like crap, because we never worked on them. Please note, that I did work on the menu recently to fix this issue. Someone mentioned the character's names - people were not originally supposed to see them. It was for us. But you guys asked for a menu, and we just left it enabled. During the flashback it would be disabled. o.o

The battle system is slow due to the events being used to control mostly everything. Star was working on porting the events to scripts, actually to make it run MUCH faster.

The Voice-Acting:
At first I personally was weary about this, but Star INSISTED we add it. He wanted this game to be similar to Star Ocean or the Tales of series. I cannot get a hold of Kyran's voice actor, so we may have to just be done away with it. D= We've been playing Secret of Mana, which has a very similar battle system to our game, and they had no voice acting and did just fine! So maybe we can just do away with it all.

I'd feel bad for the voice actors, though... Poor them. ;_;

A Tutorial and Issues:
We had many people state they were confused by the battle system. It makes sense! We just through you into it, etc. Star devised a tutorial to take place before the entire demo featuring a single character and all the features he planned on having.

The issues the header is referring to is the graphics. We NEED certain things that the RTP does not have - geysers, snow ruins, etc. So we thought, "hey, let's make our own!" Yeah, Star is having trouble with that. He almost wanted to give up. I would love to help him, but making graphics is hard for me!

Ending Thoughts:
To be honest, our motivation is kind of slim right now. We thought of just turning Ghost Shards into a comic instead, but even then we're scared to do that.

I don't want to this to turn into our last game, Celestial Sphere. We had put effort into that, so many scenes, the battle system, and just gave up. In truth, I miss that game. Sometimes I wish we could re-visit it and just be like... BAM.

LOOK AT OUR FIRST GAME:
The menu. IT HAD A MENU!
Scene_menu.png

CUSTOM GRAPHICS.
NewGraphicStylePreview.png

Sprites I was working on!
FemaleCiviePreview.png

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.