Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

General Mapping Guidelines

• Nothing - it's everything I need!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • More examples for interiors.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More examples for exteriors.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • More examples for both interiors AND exteriors.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Examples on autotile usage.

• More tileset usage examples.

• Other/Not Listed

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Tindy

Sponsor

To better service you (and to help my anxiety) I've added a poll - it'll run for 30 days after which I'll add whatever wins to the tutorial. :D

Tindy

Sponsor

All right, the results are in: 'Other' gets first place with a whopping 3 votes! But because I voted there and it's an open category, it shares first place with the three second placers, 'More examples on interiors AND exteriors,' 'More examples of autotile usage,' and 'More tileset usage examples,' each with a whopping two votes each. >_>

Anyway, look for my update within the next week! But before I do:

What did you two folks intend by voting 'Other'? Tell me!

Dude, the color tone tutorial was awesome, may I reccomend putting the exact numbers for us to see, and adding more to the color tone list?

That would be rockin'. Thanks! I was wondering what the pattern (meh) was. :lol:

Tindy

Sponsor

Kiriashi: I did, actually.xD They're next to the pictures. But maybe I should put the text on the picture itself? As for more colors...What do you suggest? Climate changes, perhaps?

FF12_Master: Thanks :)

EDIT: Due to my professors deciding that every project known to man needs to be done within the next five weeks, this update will be postponed until I have some time.

Tindy

Sponsor

***UPDATES!***
*Like a bajillion new maps added to Tints!
*A few different maps added to interiors!
*One new map added to Exteriors!
-Why? Use the maps in Tints, they're almost all exteriors. :D

And semi-sections on Fogs and Autotile Usage to come next. :) Happy trails!

This is quite a nice tutorial for beginners. However, you may want to fix the mapping errors in the swamp, you have several tree shadows cut off.

Also can we make additions to this ourselves as I have been meaning to show people how to use the tree autotile properly.

Tindy

Sponsor

I'm not seeing any cut off...I see that the plants are on the wrong layer (mostly 'cause I got lazy, but I'll fix that), but...? And how about you PM me in more detail about the autotile? I just got an idea off your idea...

EDIT: There's no way to fix the shadow snafu (at least, no easy way). If you're really bothered by them, you can go into GIMP or similar, transpose the shadow over them, and add them into the tileset as shadowed plants, but otherwise the treeroots go over them or they have a square around them (if you try to put the shadow tile over them as an event).

Rappu

This is awesome.

Could you make a big desert map example? Deserts have so few different tiles (and those are basically a) cliffs and b) tiny clutter) it's really difficult to map an interesting desert and retain a sense of a vast sandcake.

//Edit. Yay! Thanks! Even a 50x50 desert example would be awesome. :3

Tindy

Sponsor

I'll do my best :) I don't usually make big expansive maps, just because I've really only recently gotten a concrete game idea. So generally ALL of my maps are about.....eh, 100x100 at the largest.

And thanks nacho <3

Stay tuned for the section on autotiles!

Wow, thanks a lot Tindy! This is going to help me a ton in the long run! Thank you so much! ( I was never really good at interiors...)

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Thanks for all of the good info! I was referred here mostly for my problem with interior mapping, and I have a better idea of what I'm doing now. Personally, I think your interior maps are a bit claustrophobic, but they were useful nonetheless. The information about using Change Screen Color Tone was also really useful!

Thanks!

Having a lot of rivers makes a map more fun and interesting, but remember that they have to start from somewhere. At some point, if you do each map as a piece of a whole, there ought to be a mouth of a river somewhere. Rivers are fed indirectly by the ocean - tiny fingers lead from the ocean to a big lake, which then feeds the appointed river.

Nobody pointed this out? Water flow downstream. Rain from the mountains go down (fresh water) in streams, which forms rivers that drop into the salty oceans with an occasional stop by the lakes. The ocean can't feed rivers without going against gravity. Rivers feed the ocean. Or did I read that wrong?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.