Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Game Maker VS RPG Maker XP

It might seem ridiculous to post this poll since this is a RMXP forum but I would like to know, in general, which maker do you prefer? Game Maker or RPG Maker XP?
I'd like to know why you prefer one to another.

A J

I don't like game maker because of the colors and opition's icons just looking at them makes me wanna close it the program.
by the way to me using darkbasic is easier then the game maker

Myhts

Game maker is not just for making platformers or 10 minute games, or arcade games. People have made 3d rts games(yes it supports 3d), first person shooters, of course platformers, and many super smash bros clones. RPG maker is much easier to learn, but you cannot do as much with it. You can also make rpg's with game maker, but it is harder. So really I am not sure which I prefer, but game maker is a lot better than people here are saying and I wanted to say that. And if you don't like all of the D&D, you can just script it. GML(game maker language) is not an official language, but you can do pretty much anything you want to do. It even supports online games.

dunno but i use Game Maker to create my zelda game now... got moving shooting with arrow placing bomb working... with bushes...

and you can shoot outside screen but aslong as its in the map

I've used Game Maker longer than rmxp but I've used the Rpg Maker series practically throughout my game development career so hell yea I'm going to say Rmxp, but Gm is hard shit to manage.. yea it can do gba games it's just hard.

I MUCH prefer RPG Maker. For one, its WAYYY more organized, You could make an event in RPg maker with like 50000 lines less than game maker because RPG Maker has all the important stuff done for you, whereas game maker dont. Also, I hate having to make EVERY SINGLE oject, by the time your done of your game, you have one hell of a time finding events and such, folders or not.

RPG Maker is easier to use, more organized, and just as flexible if you know Ruby, so....RMXP for the win.

Myhts

Well if all I ever want to make is rpg games, I will go with rpg maker. Game maker can do a lot more, and gml is much easier to learn than ruby. Game maker also has a much better way to make menus, you can change what buttons look like and much more.

Brimstone-x":2m1s7hur said:
You could make an event in RPg maker with like 50000 lines less than game maker

it's not that many lines just a few depending on what event but some is more but still not 50000

when creating objects and they should go behind player or in-front of them make it so events that are moving having this in a step event:

http://i22.servimg.com/u/f22/11/28/71/73/depth10.png[/img]

and objects that are like scenery or so that won't move do the same thing except put it in create command instead...

might as well work for normal non-isometric games too

I remember that someone met the person who made game maker cause he made a game that he wanted to sell for money. It was a helping to learn speech game! I am not saying any thing else here cause that would be giving information about my life!! :)

RMXP is Easier to use, but I gotta say that game maker, hands down is about 10 times better. You'll find way more originality in the game maker comunity, then in the RM comunity. But I guess that could be mainly because game maker covers all genre's, and RM Is suppose to only cover one.

For the record, I voted GM

munin

RPG Maker XP, for me.

Not only is it dedicated for RPG creation (duh), thanks to it's amazing user-friendliness and it's RTP, it's quite easy to use. After a while.

Game Maker scares me, honestly. I tried it once and just sat there like "Oh Lord, what do I do now?". I'm the kind of person that needs to see things presented to me graphically so I could understand, that's probably why coding is so hard for me.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one that agrees with this, right?

this is kinda lob sided dont ya think?
Its like going in a game maker forum and asking which do you pefer, rmxp or game maker. Obviously they are gonna pick game maker or else they would be here instead of there.

well, I think GM is better because it has more options than RMXP... I don't think RMXP allows you to make action RPG games. at least I have never seen one... this is why RM is limited to turn-based RPG games while game maker is easier to make action kind of games.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.