Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

custom scripts, my theory

Aran

I've decided to try and code a Quest script, and I was thinking about something. When you're coding something like this where it has to be setup, would an effective way of scripting be to think on how its setup in the end and then code what is needed to make it like that?

for example:

in an event you want it to like this:

Code:
@> Conditional Branch: Switch[001: Certain Point] == ON
[INDENT]@> Script: Quest.new(1,Harry)
@> Comment: Quest.new(quest_type, event_name)[/INDENT]

It´s always good to comment important steps of your system developing. But if you know what you´re doing and know well the whole system, then there´s no need to comment everything.

If i were you i would make the same thing.

Aran

Yeah, but I hardly know the script. I just thought about Merte's Master of Everwind quest system (which I think he said was just variables and stuff), liked it, and now I want to make it...

Aran

No, I want to script it ^^ so I don't have to do all that with the events and variables and stuff, lol

Do you have a scripting template, LT? or do you just jump rite into it?

i don´t have templates... i don´t like to use templates, but sometimes they´re needed xD
I think in each script as a single one. It´s like i make a template in my mind for each script i make. In other words, i just jump rite into it xD

I'm not sure I understand you, but you're saying trying to make your scripts easy to implement? I do that so much. I work a lot making the scripts (often times it ends up rather complicated) just so that in the end I know I can take it easy.

huh? what're you talkin about seph?

anyway, I suggest using call script command, since comment is a lot more harder to implement without SDK. Also, you may want to avoid making an instance of a script in it, I think if it's quest, it could be something like :

Code:
$quest.add_quest(5)

class Quest
def add_quest(quest_id)
$game_quest[quest_id].active = true
end
end

Don't answer questions with specific answers if you are wrong, Legacy.

My suggestion to you Aran is find my Quest Manager Revision 1 and check it out. Infact, I can probably get you a link to at least the script (if not the instructions). Here it is! Link

It even has the instructions. See what I did and you could learn a thing or two about creating custom classes. Although, to be honest, it could have been done better.

well, that's why I said 'something like', it can be just easily '$game_quest[1].active = true'...
And I'm just giving him a general pic of how it could be done according to my way of thinking...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.