Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Calibre's Cosmetic Lighting Tutorial

Np.

@Angelman:
Doesn't seem too dark to me, feels about right. The colour tone of it gives me an almost-sunrise impression, by the way. If you want to do a middle of the night thing, tinting a bit more blue into the colours might do. :)

I just noticed that the tinting is more purple than blue, which would be the cause of it looking a little pre-dawn ish :P

Thanks Reives

Whoa, amazing :O
I didn't read the other guide, but that's excellent, i'll try to incorporate it in my game!

B4 reading this i always thought that lights were very tricky but this made the things pretty easier. :):)

Can someone write a tutorial for larger maps? I've tried the way Rieves described, but I still can't get it to work right.

Pictures and a tutorial will help out a lot.

Sorry, I said I'd get round to it along time ago. The way Reives says does work, it is just a little hit and miss / trial and error. I use larger maps fogs a lot in Cell Chamber and they are rarely 100% perfectly measured, but near enough that only a hawkeye would spot it.

I really suck at this..... The regular size maps are fine. I can get those no problem. The larger maps are near impossible for me. I can't even get them in the ball park, even trying Rieves way. Maybe I just don't understand Rieves way.

I have shrunk my map to Half size in the Map editor and taken a screen shot. Then I placed it into photoshop and cropped the screen to remove the rest of the editor and just leave the map. I then changed the image size to 640 x 480 and start making the lights.

When I place the Fog in to the game I put it twice zoom [400] and leave everything else the same. It's crazy how off it is. Just in case it was the Image size thing I went back into Photoshop and did the fog again, only this time i left the image size the same [I cropped and the started the lighing]. I placed it in the game and it was closer but still off by a large amount.

Help please... What am I doing wrong? I really like the way the lighting turns out. If only I get this to work then my game will be even better.

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong cos' I haven't tried anything out in ages so can't remember whatsoever, but if you are taking a screen at half size, then shouldn't you be displaying it as 200% rather than 400%. Try that.

Another way that may work is take individual screens in game of all the areas then piece them together in photoshop like a jigsaw. Make the lighting over that and display it in game set at 100%.

Calibre;282894 said:
Don't shoot me if I'm wrong cos' I haven't tried anything out in ages so can't remember whatsoever, but if you are taking a screen at half size, then shouldn't you be displaying it as 200% rather than 400%. Try that.

Another way that may work is take individual screens in game of all the areas then piece them together in photoshop like a jigsaw. Make the lighting over that and display it in game set at 100%.

OK.... that confused the hell out of me. besides I tried at 100, 200, 300, etc... as well as everything inbetween. It still was anywhere near what it's supposed to look like.

How about I take some screenshots and I'll post them to let you guys see what I'm doing and maybe you can see what I'm doing wrong.

Calibre;282894 said:
I use this method for larger maps. It's the easiest in my opinion.
You should try that Firestalker, just put multiple screenshots together until you have the complete map like Calibre said.

Well the main benefit of that method is that you display the fog at 100% rather than stretching it so what you see in photoshop is exactly how it'll look in game.

The first method does work because I have done it many times, I just can't remember the details.

Anonymous

Dude, I just practically pissed my pants...This is great...I am definitely going to see what I can do, since I have Photoshop...I'm afraid that it may be hard for me, but I'm going to try...I really like this man!!:thumb:

mawk

Sponsor

Awesome. I'm loving this so far! I'll be sure to try and work this once I finish my game up to a certain point; it'd just be silly putting in the effort for maps I'm not even sure I'll use. XP

Yes there is... I nearly always use it too.  Look for a script by a guy (screen name: Daniel) called dual fogs or perhaps multiple fogs.  If you really can't find it I shall post it but try looking first!

On a sidenote - have the moving fog as the base and the light effects as the additional fog - it looks screwy the other way around.

mawk

Sponsor

That's one pink rug.

You might want to scale down the brightness a little; as things look, it's as if Sol itself is outside that poor man's window. Of course, that's a matter of opinion, and you could keep it that way without hurting your game a bit. It'd be good in a desert residence, for instance. Also, the light should be fanning out from the window more; just take a look at how sunlight goes through your windows at home to get an idea of the angle you need.

Aside from that, just remember to cut off the light effect where it's supposed to be covered by the wall, and keep in mind that those square things are windows and not wall fixtures. The effect looks odd, coming from an interior dividing wall. XD

Nice start, though. The mapping might need some tweaks, but the lighting is pretty solid, once you fix things up a little bit.

I agree with Gearpunk Nemesis, it's great that you used the techniques but there is also the necessity for logic when you use it.

The light shining through at the bottom is coming from inside the house.  Obviously though it looks like sunlight.

You also need more contrast between the darkness of the room and the light coming in.  To me, it seems that room should be darker - like the way I did in the tutorial is, the light is actually made up by removing parts of the black film covering the screen - the black makes up the rooms darkness, the erased parts the light.

Your mapping really needs to be improved too, to benefit from additional atmospherics.

For me it also works on a basic map size...

when i'm using a bigger map, lets say 35X25 and I do:

shrink map in creator to 50%
screen shot and paste in photoshop..
cut out my map.. and resize it to 640 X 480

than make the lighting and save it as a .PNG file.!!  that works !! :straightthumb:
than I make a event that displays the picture at 200 %  blending normal... :thumb:

when I test my game it is there "my picture" ..but if character moves... the picture of the lighting moves with me...
the ball of light by a torch, comes of the torch and follows me... the image is not frozen to the place he belongs... :pissed:

what am i'm doing wrong. :down:... are there some things I must put in the same event.. or do I need to do something with the picture???

please help me who can... :cry:

Please don't Necropost. :\ ~Asch

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.