Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Calibre's Cosmetic Lighting Tutorial

It's funny, I look at the example I used and it's kinda sucky! I think I used it for the sake of simplicity in this instance. Thanks for noticing this tutorial though, it fell into the abyss for quite some time! Perhaps that may give me some motivation to build upon the first demonstration and show how to support larger than default maps correctly. Thanks everyone for your appreciation.

@ Rataime,

I understand your idea for a script, but I don't think a script could ever replace the flexibility offered to the user through generating it in a more artistic manner such as this. I never know though, maybe you could produce something stunning! At the moment both the shadow script and reflection script really benefit this method so thanks for that.

You are right yes, but the film layer really isn't that dark and with the player moving about you don't really notice it unless you look out for it.

It's kind of a trade off, I think for the overall ambience it creates, a little thing like that isn't really that much of an annoyance, though I warrant your point.

It's up to the creator to decide if its too much of a distraction or not.

Not only that, i'm sure with the combination of the photoshop stuff and a bit of scritping it is easily resulvable, providing you can use photoshop. You could make the overall fog layer, then when your done, cut out all the stuff that should be below the character and leave the rest. Then you could display 2 fog layers - one with the z values above the player and the second layer always being below the player. As you cut out the second layer from the first, as long as you set it to display at the same percentage, you wouldn't have to concern yourself with overlapping.

Would that work? I can't script at all but it seems feasible to me.

Just two suggestions to that map and its lighting, Omar :):
-Soften the eraser's edges a lot, that way you can make it bigger and have a diminishing effect; as if light is being spread realistically.
-The room's too big for a square-shape, with too much unnecesary space.

Two more bits of advice for that omarfr, firstly, when you are erasing areas, try and deselect the ceiling autotile area so that the map light doesnt flood over it as it has done in the top left of your map.

Secondly, when you set the fog, in this instance reduce the opacity by a fair bit in the event editor because it is far too overwhelming.

ImmuneEntity;249073 said:
That looks infinitely better than my first attempt a while ago (and probably better than my current attempts). Good job.

Thanks a lot. There are some things that look off, but I am not sure what. I will keep messing around with it. btw I am from MN too =)

shaz

Excellent tutorial - very easy to follow, and I had NO idea people went to these lengths to improve the atmosphere in their games!

I'm also keen to learn how to do this for maps larger than the default size.

I can probably figure it out myself if you can answer one question for me - if your fog image is smaller than the full map, will RMXP tile it, or stretch it? And does it preserve the aspect ratio? (ok, so that's 2 questions, but who's counting...)

Shaz:
RMXP will stretch the map to the % that you tell it to while selecting the fog to show. By default it's 200%.

For maps larger than default size, you basically shrink it to 50% view-size in the RMXP constructor and take a screenshot, and perhaps tile the screenshots of the map together carefully if you still can't get it into one screen.

Then, you do the fog on the whole (but smaller) map. After you finish, make sure to show the fog at a size of 200% (or whatever % that multiplies your fog's original shrunken size into a normal 100% view).

That's basically it. :)

Chesso

Aside from the shadowing effect, couldn't you just make up some simple pictures, import and then make them transparent to a degree to gain this effect? and have it located anywhere you wish, as many times as you wish, on any kind of map no matter the size.

I'm sure it won't look near as good as this, but it's a quick and dirty way to do it :P.

I really like that last ss too with the nice shadowing, it looks amazing.

shaz

Thanks Reives, that's pretty easy to follow, and pretty much like I suspected it would work.

I'll have to have a go at this when I get a break from Uni.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.