Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Aqua'os: Tears of the Ocean

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Currently fixing that bug...thankyou!

I'm glad you were able to understand it. I was a little worried at first that I may have over infused too much information for players, but then I realzied it's optional because most all explainations are viewed from interactions with NPC's and "techscreens" or "techpaper".

I've had to do a lot of research into various books to make it fesiable that in this world it could happen. Still doing a lot of research so it's taken quite a bit longer than I'd liked, ah well.

Something I'm worried about is that sometimes I can be a little subtle when it comes to explainations or reasons "why" or just in general...
for instance..
-There are numerous references to things,games, movies, TV-shows, animes that have inspired me or what I get my inspiration from..some are blatant..I.E. Lynn Minmei, some not so much I.E. OSC Dictate on levels of communication= Orson Scott Card, author of Ender's Game misc. (see how many you can find!)
-Aqua has the least amount of facesets (4 or 5) because he doesn't/can't feel other emotions
-Taelia is weaker in the demo because she relived two Memory Inflictions (she's not your typical "weak-always-needing-to-be-saved" cliche, there are reasons why and twists)
to name a few..
While its good in a movie, where you will re-watch it over and over to see what you've missed, I'm not sure if that really is a replay value thing for video games. Although you will be able to go past some areas that are locked after beating the game for replay value.

So far I'm still working on chapter 3's events, (adding more to chapter 2, almost all objects have some sort of interaction, I'd like to make it all ) Working on eventing cutscenes and turning some into "animations" like the intro and end. Right now I'm currently working on a "snow petal" eventscene dealing with the Nymphoid dance that pollenates the Euphoria Mammoth Trees.
(you can see the definition of this particalar Nymphoid at the LW and Estorian Races Information Desk)

I don't know how long this will all take, since most of my graphics are custom, it is taking me longer than I thought -_-; not to mention all the research I'm currently doing (reading a pretty interesting article on antimatter right now ^^) But I'll keep on plugging along!

Thanks for all your support and help!

Hmm, I'm playing through this now. I won't let you know my thoughts until the end, but in future release you might want to loop the choice menu in Estoria.net that exiting and re-entering thing is a bit annoying. Just thought I'd suggest that.

@shifter:  Two compliements from you? Your making me blush with a smile. Thanks :) @JStreet: Thanks for giving my demo a spin & for the sugestion. I await anymore c&c you have w/ eagerness! I Am planning to make the .net event a little differently those 'page up/ page down ' on the terminal? I was/am making them into interactive buttons. I Kinda want to do something similar to the interaction of the microscopes in the med & tech labs, but its getting a bit complicated for me to event T.T.

Hey Sis.

Sooo, I finally took the time to read through the storyline and character bios, and I must say that I am quite impressed. (I can see where you have incorporated some similar ideas from one of your favorite t.v. shows  ) I only saw the artwork/screenshots from time to time and thought "well thats pretty cool", but now that I've read the story I'll just have to play through the whole demo.

As far as C&C:
I like the originality of the characters and their personalities (from what I've read so far) - I still wish that you'd let me help out in the art department. I know you want it to be only your original art work, but maybe I can ink the characters in, or copy your style so that our art matches?? Once you keep studying anatomy and give the characters a more finished look (straighter lines in particular) they will be unresistable "dahling".

Also I enjoyed the way you used the music/sound effects with the fading in and out of the characters - it makes a big impact.

If you'd like a tester, let me know. I can also help with script editing/checking for errors etc.

And that ends my C&C; because I haven't played the demo it's not as specific as you'd like it I'm sure. Sooooo, I'm off to do just that. I will master it with my superior skillz! Mwah hah hah hah heh heh, heh, cough*, cough*...ahem -- -- cya!

Since the unofficial announcement of this project's development, my ears have been perked up wondering if it would ever see demo status. Once I had a chance to play it the critique gears went a'turning.

Although a bit confusing at times, the story stood out. I was most impressed with the variation in dialog. You could often tell the difference from formal conversation and general conversation. Sadly, I felt that at times there's too much rambling mixed in with important information, which led to confusion as to what you should currently been doing. It is fairly easy to get lost in the miscellaneous information/rants/comments and lose track of what you're doing. Aside from that, the depth of the story is incredible. The plot is weaved together almost perfectly and keeps the reading-types very interested and even the non-readers would have pay attention with the activity that goes along with the story's progression.

Characters in Aqua'os are those of a VERY unique brand. You rarely see such a variety looks and personalities in a single game. I did feel that the NPCs played a bigger role in the game than the main characters. Honestly, I found myself paying more attention to what was being said by the NPCs and it's hard to define whether or not this is a good thing. At one end you erased the norm of typically boring NPCs, but at the same time they can easily take focus away from the characters who are important. I'd say the best thing about the characters were how individualized they were. Each could stand alone and still be a strong character.

Graphically this game can top .org's finest projects. I applaud you for taking the time to give your game that extra unique taste. The resources themselves weren't the only perk of the game. The actual utilization of them was most impressive. I've never seen such unique mapping and they way it served to create the atmosphere was outstanding. The art work was very vibrant and expressive. You've done an amazing job in this department, period.

I'd say the game play was a double edge sword. By no means was it weak, but it wasn't necessarily stand out great. Although there were interesting things to do, often you just flutter around from place to place. There were moments where things were fun and interesting, and then there were those parts that could cure insomnia. The mini games were ridiculously...strange. It's hard to comment on them, as I didn't really play them much.

The audio of the game was neutral for the most part. The music didn't really stand out, and I felt it didn't help the atmosphere much (except for the arcade place, ace.). I'd say that if you don't notice it, then it's neither good nor bad. This is probably for the better because as I stated earlier you really feel as if you're just floating through the game, so it kind of matches.

All in all not a bad game. I'd hope for more solid game play and plot in future releases.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/ ... m/star.jpg[/img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/theomen9mm/star.jpg[/img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/theomen9mm/star.jpg[/img]
3 of 5 stars!
[/FONT]

jbart321":sk4uwqpv said:
BlueChaos":sk4uwqpv said:
I like what I've seen in the screenshots, however, I'm not a big fan of the concept art. It looks good, but you can tell it isn't made by some rank A (or even B or C) artists. That's probably  my own bias against american art styles though. (I'd be redrawing it over and over until it looks like something you'd find in a modern game manual. I'm actually artist, and if I'm not satisfied with my product, I'd trash it and start over repeatedly. Once again, this is my opinion.) The menus also need a little work. Try using a simple, but elegant frame.

That is a pretty insulting post.  To basically ridicule her art cause it is "American" style and say it is not done by a good artist is mean spirited.  The fact that this game has original artwork done by kiera is wonderful.  Not many games have that.  You should apologize for being so rude.

On topic, I like the artwork and I like the uniqueness of your game from some of the others here.  Good start to the demo.

I never said it wasn't "good" by any standards. I simply meant it didn't appeal to my tastes.
Most RPG games played in mainstream culture or japanese-produced, so it's highly unlikely to find american or euro-style art in a game. I'm not say "OH, this sucks because it's ugly." It's concept art. I'm not expecting it to be godly amazing, as it's supposed to give you an image of what those characters look like. I do, however, apologize if my tone came off as condescending, because the post I made was not intended to sound that way.

@BlueChaos: Well I'm part Japanese and I am American so technically it's Japanesish/American style ^_~
The reason I ask is because I rather like the anime styles in the 80's more so than the current style. IMHO it can be less detailed and more "cartoonish" the huge eyes and exagerated hairstyles are not my thing. (that is the current trends I see in anime)I go more for old skool style like Robotech/ Macross, Bubblegum Crisis, Gundam 0080 and 0083, etc ...they have a more realistic touch to me.  Also as I stated Shoujo manga style, it appeals more to those of the female gender more so that the male.
sample of my shoujo style=
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/Kiearaphoenix/BellaLineart.png[/img]
I'd still like to see some of your artwork though, my interest is peaked about the video game style you go for.

@jampopo: hey you ^^ talk ta ya later.

@JStreet; THANK YOU! I love that feedback...I really appreciate it much. I <3 U. I'll answer your points more indepth later tonight, there are a few things I am taking in and a few things I'd like to clarify^^;

That is an incredibly good sketch.
But the main difference between most american and japanese styles is generally the eyes and the hair (american art has detailed hair, and jap uses one solid color with shading). My own is based off of manga styles I've blended together (eyes similar to x manga, face structure of xy manga, and my own style). I tend to avoid most animes, because the style isn't as detailed as the authors original works in the manga. Anyway, the main reason I said your art was more american because of it's attention to detail, in both coloring and style.
I could show you my sketches, but they haven't been cleaned because my Photoshop is refusing to install. If you want, I'll send it anyway.
Spoiler is so I don't pollute the thread with off-topic stuffs.

So sorry it's taken sooo long to respond properly to your much needed feedback JStreet. I only had web access through my cell and typing using phone keys a long response, would drive me insane >.<
Jstreet":2v45w0vm said:
Since the unofficial announcement of this project's development, my ears have been perked up wondering if it would ever see demo status. Once I had a chance to play it the critique gears went a'turning.

Although a bit confusing at times, the story stood out. I was most impressed with the variation in dialog. You could often tell the difference from formal conversation and general conversation. Sadly, I felt that at times there's too much rambling mixed in with important information, which led to confusion as to what you should currently been doing. It is fairly easy to get lost in the miscellaneous information/rants/comments and lose track of what you're doing. Aside from that, the depth of the story is incredible. The plot is weaved together almost perfectly and keeps the reading-types very interested and even the non-readers would have pay attention with the activity that goes along with the story's progression.
-I really tried to vary conversation levels, noting that in most societies there is a formal way and an informal way of speaking, I'm sooo glad you picked that up ^^
-And I do agree, I do ramble through the NPC's a LOT, perhaps if I separated the various rants to various places? Even maps? Or do you mean only have a few in the game period?
-I will admit that my game is geared towards the reading types because of the many many bits of information reguarding the players world, and I love storytelling, again finding the balance though, is hard for me.

Characters in Aqua'os are those of a VERY unique brand. You rarely see such a variety looks and personalities in a single game. I did feel that the NPCs played a bigger role in the game than the main characters. Honestly, I found myself paying more attention to what was being said by the NPCs and it's hard to define whether or not this is a good thing. At one end you erased the norm of typically boring NPCs, but at the same time they can easily take focus away from the characters who are important. I'd say the best thing about the characters were how individualized they were. Each could stand alone and still be a strong character.
-Again I'm glad you picked that up ^^ I intentional added a bunch of races, and skintones because I do see, sometimes games gear toward just one. Also there are smaller issues spread through the game that I address like prejudice and refugees and immigration, at times it's subtle so you have to talk to a lot of NPC's and you start to pick up on the underlying current.
-What would you say would balance the focus btwn NPC's and the main Chara's, yet keeping the NPC's interesting? I've tried to think but I'm drawing blanks.

Graphically this game can top .org's finest projects. I applaud you for taking the time to give your game that extra unique taste. The resources themselves weren't the only perk of the game. The actual utilization of them was most impressive. I've never seen such unique mapping and they way it served to create the atmosphere was outstanding. The art work was very vibrant and expressive. You've done an amazing job in this department, period.
-AW shucks  :blush: I tried to stay my release until I got at a point that I was satisfyied with my art, Unfortunately even now I'm not but I released it anyway fig. that such is the way of an artist, to never be happy with thine own art.

I'd say the game play was a double edge sword. By no means was it weak, but it wasn't necessarily stand out great. Although there were interesting things to do, often you just flutter around from place to place. There were moments where things were fun and interesting, and then there were those parts that could cure insomnia. The mini games were ridiculously...strange. It's hard to comment on them, as I didn't really play them much.
-I seriously need to find someone whose willing to do my scripting for me. I really have been trying to work it out with events, I really need to shift some serious focus on my gameplay, I'm glad though it was weak ...
-Yea my inspiration for that particular game was the one with the man who grows getting mushrooms, and a flower that causes him to shoot fireballs, with boxes hanging mid air...and some other odd themed games

The audio of the game was neutral for the most part. The music didn't really stand out, and I felt it didn't help the atmosphere much (except for the arcade place, ace.). I'd say that if you don't notice it, then it's neither good nor bad. This is probably for the better because as I stated earlier you really feel as if you're just floating through the game, so it kind of matches.

-I lowered the volume a great deal on the music because they were either familar tunes from familar games, i.e. FF and Chrono, or the standard RTP (except 3) so as to not attract attention to the music. I felt they were heard sooo many times that instead of thinking of the game the player would focus on the music. A wrong move I guess on my part...I might just ur, have to, look around for some unique music...(clickies on your music link)

All in all not a bad game. I'd hope for more solid game play and plot in future releases.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/ ... m/star.jpg[/img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/theomen9mm/star.jpg[/img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/theomen9mm/star.jpg[/img]
3 of 5 stars!
[/FONT]
[/quote]
-------------------------------------
So is the consenses is
Game play- work on
Music- Work on
Story-Good
Graphics-Great
NPC-Good with a little bit of tweaking?
Does anyone else have feedback before I immerse myself back into finishing?
-------------------------------------
@Blue Chaos
...erm...just exactly what Japanese and American animes do you watch?! Many people tend to think the reverse, I can PM you some really detailed japanese animes that should be on anyones must watch list if you'd like, and sure if you want to PM me your artwork go ahead, I love looking at peoples interpretations of various styles

I'm now at the elevaters, looking for a appointment. I like your story until now, it's cool, a map below water!!  :thumb:

Edit: Hmm, game over, a wrong chest,, now i'll have to play it all again, :( And i Couldn't save the game before i was dead

Save often, I caution this in the first post! You can save right after the cut scene in the inn with Isolde and Merrik.
you shouldn't look for an appt. yet, you need to find Merrik and Isolde

Edit: I recomend two specific saves, after the cutscene at the Inn and after the Nanite Memory Link for Taelia Ends. Added this in first post.

On the subject of NPCs vs Main Characters, you had the right idea in some places. If NPCs want to openly ramble then I suggest giving the main character input on whatever they're (the NPCs) are talking about. Perhaps some choice responses and such. I know with all of the NPCs you put in the game it would be a tedious task to perform, but you've already went that extra mile to achieve the good game you have so far. It wouldn't hurt to keep on pushing.

Like I said, the lack of a overwhelming music presence was not a bad thing. Of course as a musician, I was a little disappointed. If I were you I wouldn't go out of the way to get new music, unless you wanted to add to the atmosphere. Playing the music at a lower volume was a pretty good idea for the sake of your game. That is something you should definitely keep as it does support a bit of a mellowed theme.

kiearaphoenix":dyli2q3l said:
Save often, I caution this in the first post! You can save right after the cut scene in the inn with Isolde and Merrik.
you shouldn't look for an appt. yet, you need to find Merrik and Isolde

Edit: I recomend two specific saves, after the cutscene at the Inn and after the Nanite Memory Link for Taelia Ends. Added this in first post.
Oke, thanx, i will play it again soon, it is worth!!

@JStreet: thanks for the ideas! You are FANTASTIC composer btw, I think a PMed request will be heading your way, if you dun mind, as soon as I put together what theme I want.    @Thios; thank you! I await your feedback when you do.

-I did finish mapping however a great deal of North Timbrief Advanti,
and the Casquadia Palace, hehe..
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225 ... main-1.png[/img]

-Also working on alternate uniforms for the main cast. (if you played the demo you'd notice that "Heeeeeeey, Aqua's not wearing green! And why does he have Blonde hair?!" It's cause the green uniform and red hair is an alternate uniform that can be found later in the game. Working on spriting Katra's alternate uniform and Taelia's is in the design stages.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/Kiearaphoenix/elvenprincess.png[/img]
and it's going to be part of one of the "pretty art" flashbacks of her story.

-I added Lady Isolde's bio on the first post. This after realizing, that I didn't do one for her, despite her being part of the main characters...silly me.

-------------------------------------------------------------
I'm about to take slight break, as in I'm still making images and graphics for Aqua'os but not much else right now. (in reguards to Mapping and eventing)Taking a step back so I can look at the game anew and do messing around to see if I can learn to take RMXP to its fullest capacity. I'd like to animate some scenes, see if I can fig. how to do cinematography, etc. Also I'd like to take some more time to return the favor of helping people out, since I've recieved so very much help for my game.

The new screenshot looks great. And as always, that's some creative mapping you got going. :smile: I'm also glad you're doing the alternate uniforms; I've always felt that it was a nice touch to have the main cast switch outfit now and then to add a feel of actual characters than sprites.

As for the animating scenes, good luck with that, it would be a waste of talent at disposal not to. Might be a bit tedious to work through now and then though, but they really do add quite a nice flashy touch. Easiest way is probably just use some layers of PNG transparent-BG images and fade one on top of another for movement, pretty straight forward stuff but with a bit of a headache at implementation. D:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.