Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Angelman's Light Tutorial

awesome tutorial, fits in my horror game. I also liked your flashlight tutorial. Awesome tutorial. I hope you make more like these.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. If I find anything else that could prove useful to anybody, I'll be sure to post it. :D

Thanks,

Angelman

It's just plain old garden variety Rmxp. I never really got into the whole "Vx" thing. Maybe I'm crazy, but I prefer Rmxp over it any day of the week.  :lol:

Edit:
I'm actually not sure this tutorial will even work in VX. Though I'm sure somebody will try it eventually if they haven't already.  :thumb:

The light tutorial works in VX, but the fog section doesn't.  I've already used it in a couple of VX games, and it's a very good tutorial. :thumb:

Hmmm...
Okay, so I started a new project in RMXP, implemented everything you said, and it worked just fine.
But when I went to put it into my game...
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/dadevster/saa.jpg[/img]
I tried importing it without touching transparency or translucency. But that didn't work, so I made the black part transparent and translucent, which failed to work as well. I don't know why it worked in my other project and decided to stop working here. Could anyone help? Thanks!

Guardian1239: Thanks for letting me know. :)

Dadevster: I'm pretty sure you did everything right (including not touching the transparencies when importing the picture) except in the properties of the light picture itself, you have to change the transparencies to "Add" or whatever that option is. (Sorry I can't give you the exact name, I'm not sure what it's called because I'm in Tokyo and don't have access to my Rmxp :P)

TLarch

Hey Angelman.

I created an account just so I could ask this question.

I am trying to make the light sit on my character as I walk around, but alas, it's not working how it should.  After implementing your tutorial to what I wanted, tried your tutorial exactly (triple checked) then directly and failed.

What's happening is I trigger the image to show up, and it doesn't.  HOWEVER, If I read a sign or just call up a message box, the light will land right on top of my character.  Then I move and it just sits there in that place on the screen.  It's in Parallel Processing, and if I put a message to pop up during the time that the light should appear, the message pops up over and over, but leaves me enough time to move.  While I move, the image follows me, because it updates only when a message pops up, or I teleport to another room.  This is how I want it to behave, minus the message.

I've been messing with this all day, and after typing this all out, I feel that you will probably want to see some pictures.

Let me know.
~TLarch

Legend: It doesn't look like you tinted the screen to a dark blue to simulate night time (if that's what you were going for). If you weren't going for that, you can try changing the transparency of the fog itself. Hopefully that helped.  :tongue:

TLarch: You seem like a reasonably intelligent person, and I can understand the turmoil you've been through. :P I think I know the problem with your setup, but I can't be sure until I see some pictures, if it's not too much trouble. :D
Thanks,
Angelman

KORP: Lol. Spam, but still. :P

TLarch

Alright.  The light image works and is in the correct place.  I apologize in advance for naming things very closely to one another.

I have an Item that is a lantern that should turn on an off the light image which should land on the player and update as the player moves.

The Lantern Item calls the common event Lantern On?

Lantern On? has no trigger, and the following commands.
http://people.alfred.edu/~jam/Light1.bmp[/img]

Another common event was created named Lighting

Lighting is set to Parallel Process, and the switch is Light On?
It has the following commands.
http://people.alfred.edu/~jam/Light2.bmp[/img]

And thats it.  I look at it, and of course it reads like it would work, but it doesn't.  Only if you call up a message.  I hope this helps.

~TLarch

Guardian1239":2tu4mr0q said:
The light tutorial works in VX, but the fog section doesn't.  I've already used it in a couple of VX games, and it's a very good tutorial. :thumb:
Just use Hevendor's Fogs script.

Legend: You're quite welcome.  :lol:

Twin Matrix: Thanks. You can try it yourself and PM me the results, if you'd like. :P

TLarch":1baysqk7 said:
Alright.  The light image works and is in the correct place.  I apologize in advance for naming things very closely to one another.

I have an Item that is a lantern that should turn on an off the light image which should land on the player and update as the player moves.

The Lantern Item calls the common event Lantern On?

Lantern On? has no trigger, and the following commands.
http://people.alfred.edu/~jam/Light1.bmp[/img]

Another common event was created named Lighting

Lighting is set to Parallel Process, and the switch is Light On?
It has the following commands.
http://people.alfred.edu/~jam/Light2.bmp[/img]

And thats it.  I look at it, and of course it reads like it would work, but it doesn't.  Only if you call up a message.  I hope this helps.

~TLarch

You know, I'm actually not sure what went wrong with this. I copied what you did exactly, and I ran into problems too. :P Something is definitely wrong with this way. While I can see how you'd try to make it more efficient via common events and therefore less eventing, this way is just more error prone, which is why I didn't use it in the first place. It does look like it would work, and I can understand your frustration. I would recommend just starting over, and following my tutorial exactly, without the use of common events. It just creates problems. :S

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

Angelman

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.