Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

AGM: Will you be moving?

Will you be switching to AGM over RMXP/VX/whatever you currently use?

I think I would if I could be arsed to make games anymore; it looks a lot better. I haven't had time to play around much with the English translation yet though, nor do I own the full Japanese edition.

It looks more powerful, and if it can use programming languages like C++ then even more so (though was this rumour dismissed?)

I don't think you can 'move' to AGM, because RMXP and AGM are pretty much for two separate things (Actions Games vs RPGs). I think many people are going to continue to use VX / XP and many will use AGM at the same time. It's not like choosing between VX and XP because it makes completely different games.

no it doesnt. People are already trying to make action rpg with rmxp and vx. So it would be beneficial to use a program specifically designed for it.
The only problem is having to relearn something completely different.

I'll probably use both, if I can get off my lazy ass and actually commit to making a game. :/ I can't see why someone couldn't make RPG's with RM and action games with AGM.

(my only problem is that after years of making up ideas for unique and original RPG's, it's kind of hard to switch over to try and come up with ideas for unique and original action games!)

Kav

Sponsor

Yeah, I don't think AGM's necessarily something you move on to from RMXP/VX. It's not geared toward RPG's nearly as much as they are. As for scripting, it doesn't have built-in scripting. You have to export your game and program the rest in Visual C# (using Microsoft Visual C# 2008 Express Edition, which is free). The problem is, you can't re-import it.

It is possible to design your own plugins for AGM though, if you know how the 3 default ones were made and can program.

mawk

Sponsor

if you can, I don't expect the editor itself would be much help.

I'm gonna give it a try, I dunno. first impressions for agm are "oh jesus christ they fucked it up," though, so chances are I'll just wind up biting the bullet and learning game maker.

I will probably use both. I don't plan on making a complete transfer, because there's no fun in that! Although I haven't messed with the program at all, so I don't know. I tried to translate the trial but it still had some weird symbols in it that made me feel like it wasn't worth messing with.

I find you can make some kickass rpgs with this program. Because you have the capabilities of adding some interesting gameplay features that rmxp couldnt allow, without a lot of scripts. All we need now is someone to make a ATB plugin and its set.

I'm kind of with Miek on this one. AGM had loads of potential, but just like VX and its limited mapping, AGM misses one of Enterbrain's "editor staples"; that is, an in-editor scripting system(some are talking about exporting AGM to various C languages, but that's going to go the way of the SDK and '3D in RMXP'). Also, they might not even be releasing to the U.S., and the road of 3rd party translation is paved with faults and error messages.

The idea is great, and the C# code is not bad either, but because their engine is so multi-productable, the user interface has became very complicated and overdone. I rather stick with making my own C# XNA engines and games, instead of using AGM. If you are going to use the C# exporting options, you are probably capable enough to write the engine yourself, so why wouldn't you.

Surely, for some people it will be great...

mawk

Sponsor

just watch, they'll come out in a year or two with a scripting system that they'd been intentionally holding back from this iteration so that they could make money off of two new and exciting releases instead of just one release that had everything from the start.

I have all kinds of respect for enterbrain (okay that's a bald-faced lie I think they're probably the worst thing ever) but as a company they've shown a tendency to do all kinds of crazy things.

I've actually decided to stop using agm altogether. it just wastes my hard drive space, and i can do anything it can do in flash anyway. i've done a lot of crazy stuff in rpg maker as well(fully working FPS!). so what i'm saying is that agm really isn't as good as flash or rmxp(at least for me).

Near":2k91xz5h said:
so what i'm saying is that agm really isn't as good as flash or rmxp(at least for me).

you guys remind me of the people who use RPG maker 2000/2003 who said that will not use RPG XP because some features are missing,
and RPG XP user who said that they will not use VX because of some tile size limits.

AGM is a completely different tool.
AGM interface is great for what it dose.
I can say AGM is better at making a Platformer, Action RPG, and a shooter then RPG XP/VX because that what it was made for.
that's a fact, also the integration between the three game engine is great.
plus export to xbox 360, and to flash is also better then what RPG XP/VX can do.
really when it come down to it RPG XP/VX is only great for FF style games.
Yes they can do FPS and can do 3D but a free 3d game engine is faster and better.
What I am trying to say is being great at one thing and mediocre at everything else is okay but I rather use the best tool for each pacific job.

As for flash, It is better but, if you don't now action script you out of luck.
AGM and RPG XP/VX is great for people don't now how to program.

for FF style games use RPG XP/VX.
for Platformer, Action RPG, and a shooter style game use AGM.
for programming you games use flash.

p.s. and if you have a problem with that :box: .

Commodore Whynot":1hbud7rl said:
Will you be switching to AGM over RMXP/VX/whatever you currently use?

I think I would if I could be arsed to make games anymore; it looks a lot better. I haven't had time to play around much with the English translation yet though, nor do I own the full Japanese edition.

It looks more powerful, and if it can use programming languages like C++ then even more so (though was this rumour dismissed?)

It will uses a programming languages like C++? I thought, AGM is a set of conditions describing knowledge and belief revision.

AGM is pretty powerful and also got the exporting options. I've tried the Trial version, and it's very cool although I couldn't do much with it.

Anyway, I won't be using it. I'm learning C++ and DirectX now... trying to approach the professional reality little by little, ya know. I think I'll still be using RPG Maker (possibly) but I'm not considering using AGM.

SEE YA!!!!!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.