Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[52/60] Plague180 - XNA Card Game

Haha, of course I've played that! I came across it about a year or two back, and shared it with the forum I visited at the time... that Elements thread had so many pages... #fadstarter. :)

I am wondering how you plan to program your AI... Are you just going to make it play to best it can, with what it has available, and then just give different AI stronger or weakly built decks for the 'difficulty', or are you going with the more traditional 'AI cheats' method for difficulty?

ya, i played elements back when it was new too, i almost think it was better then. as far as the AI i have a 3 level approach. The low level AI class handles all the super basic stuff like drawing cards, then the middle class handles the difficulty (mostly put limitations on the lower AI's to prevent them from being too good) and the upper level handles per deck strategy. Alot of people have thought that making deck specific AI is too time consuming, but my code is super modular and the top level AI isnt very long only a couple hundred lines and lot of it i can copy from 1 AI to the next. also i can make a deck/ AI and make huge changes in how it acts, just by switching the middle level AI it inherents from. example writing the code only once i can do:

BasicAI > Level3 > WaterSpiritAI and then: BasicAI > Level5 > WaterSpiritAI

so with the same deck and same higher level AI class, it would act super different.

lots of work put into making my game work with Wix XNA Installer, it was a pain in the ass, but well worth the work, it makes things a million times easier by installing any missing prereqs for me

Changed default resolution to 1280X720, fixed alignment issues caused by the change of resolution, optimized some draw code (mostly board effects and creatures in play), fixed bug with ai playing flood and it worked as if player had played it

Added support for summoned creatures, from both spells and activated abilities. optimized some draw code, mostly focused not letting my frame rate drop below 200, ill get around to a full cleaning latter. rotated AI cards in hand to look better, my artist insist it looks better, i cant argue. added support for dynamically rendered status effects (i hard coded them in previous screen shots), added a few fire cards to the database for testing, that went quite nicely, and finally finished the last water spell(magic hat)

fxh5vr.jpg

Started working on the fire board effect (wild fire), got the graphics and alignment done, just need to finish the spell. added foil card support, see image below. updated the back of the card, improved my Bake code for summoned creatures, now they bake twice as fast.

side by side rain of fire, left normal, right foil (still working on fire illustrations)
143i79v.jpg
35hr52w.jpg

side by side magic hat, left normal, right foil
voa3nk.jpg

new back of card
2elgfuw.png

wildfire test on some pirates, still needs some work imo
9av9jm.jpg

im trying to put together some promotional stuff, what do you guys want to see most? i have lots of stuff i havent shared, ask anything about the game.

yes, but i also need more fans and people to help me test. with a little over 500 cards im sure there will be lots of balancing to do, and fix bugs if card combos dont work right

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.