Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

4/30 A sofisticated thread

30 Hours
I have a life and a job so I'm going to just try and set aside an hour per day for working on a game in RM, using what meager skills I have.

Progress Log
  • Booted up an old project and spent an hour or so making a bug and tweak list and just fine tuning some minor things.
  • Finished most of the bug list. Time to start drinking.~ 1 hour total
  • Finished the rest of the original bug list.
  • Spent the rest of the two hours futzing around with my enemy approach and attack events. Thanks to tuna's help I fixed some important problems and now I'm almost done with set up for enemies. ~2 hours total
  • Finished the rough cut of the attacking enemies event. They now chase, lay off out of range, and allow the player to retreat on retreat. ~1 hour

To Do List in no particular order.
-finish eventing enemies that chase the player.
-Make enemies chase player only in certain radius.
-Create method that allows the player to retreat on a successful retreat.
-Set up enemies in completed maps
-Detail current maps
-set up list of personality tracking variables.
-map out story arc that adjusts to player choices.
-create and or finish some unfinished items that are referenced in the currently completed areas: RPS Badge, Recipe Book #1, and Salacious Sam Novella.
-tweak letters in the end of the first area.
-Find music themes for the following: Gogo and Didi silliness, Generic happy town, Adventurous opening, and the mysterious forest.
-Fix looping bgs of crowd talking that doesn't actually loop.
-create a common event menu for crafting.
-Stop drinking.
-Give up on being sober.
-Maek Gamms

It prolly won't be anything special. I'm really focusing on making something that has decent production continuity: i. e. characters that have consistent personalities, music themes that make sense, gameplay that is challenging and works, a plot that isn't retarded, and maybe some genuine laughs. I'm kind of taking my inspiration from tales of a drunken paladin in the sense that I'm going to focus on making an engaging setting that rewards exploration with easter eggs and actual gameplay boosts. And no it's not going to be a drunken hero engaging in a bunch of sophomoric humor. It'll be a game that takes itself seriously but engages in meta humor from time to time.

So far I just have a female protagonist. She is fallen nobility who has lowered herself to be some other lord's henchman. She and some paladin dude who is kind of her foil (she is kind of jaded and skeptical whereas her foil is lowborn, grateful for his station and loyal because of it) are chasing some fugitive whom they believe is going to some city forty miles from where they currently are. She thinks it's a bullshit job meant to insult her, while her foil only sees opportunity to prove his worth. I'm hashing out the rest. I'm going with the generic formula of throwing together a motley party of opposites dislike eachother but grow to care for one another because the protagonist keeps them all around and resolves all of their issues like some kind of super psychiatrist. I kid about the latter, but in all seriousness I'm focusing more on gameplay and just letting the story and characters grow out of the writing rather than obsessing over making some kind of deep masterpiece. It's a potboiler.

Thanks Peri. Put in two more thankless errors just on trying to finish the basis of enemy events. So they chase, cause battles, and allow retreat.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.