Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content The Portal of Darkness

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More info is on the site:
http://sites.google.com/site/portalofdarkness/
Direct Download:
The Portal of Darkness (v1.3 Final).exe

The monster were all rounded up and thrown into a portal, named the portal of darkness. The sealing was supposed to make it impossible to them to get out. Then, the sealing didn't go as planned. Hell breaks loose. The seal that kept the world happy has broken. Kevin's parents are killed by the monsters released from the portal. He must hunt down how to close the portal and take revenge.

Kevin: His parents were killed after the monsters were released. He now must kill the one that guards the portal and close it permanently.

Sam: A jobless mercenary, and will take any jobs offered. Has no real commitment, only there for the free stuff.

Oasis Princess: A princess that governs the oasis. She sets you in a trap and you must defeat her, to have her on your team.

Fire Queen (But not mother of oasis princess): A powerful mage that will help you on your quest to defeat the one who guards the portal.

- 2 hours (i think) of gameplay, on hard.
- A looting house (a house that you search for loot)
- 3 difficulties (more may be added later)

ss001.jpg

ss002.jpg

ss003.jpg

mawk

Sponsor

you can't just link us to a site for the information, dude. you gotta give us an outline in this thread. you should take a look at the rules and check out some of the other threads in this subforum to get an idea of what yours should look like, contentwise.

mawk

Sponsor

I'll lock the old one, then. for future reference, you should request your topic to be moved to completed games once it's complete instead of making a new one.

also, you may want to tell us about your characters and all that. again, look around this subforum and see what's a good level of information.

Okay, i'm sorry to say I actually played some of this game. Not all of it mind you, I couldn't hold the gag reflex back forever.

Lets start from the top...
NewBitmapImage2.jpg

Firstly there are spelling errors every other textbox and it quickly turns to engrish. While this was funny for a little bit it quickly got stupid. Check your spelling! I can't stress this enough!

Next, the mapping was horrid. You gotta fill up that empty space, make it look like someone actually lives there. This just looks awfull...

The quests are simple walk, talk, and fight, no depth no intrigue, nothing.

Lets not even get into the battles....

So in all this game gets 0 outa 10 in my book. Absolute garbage...

LooseEnds":3ltngy20 said:
Okay, i'm sorry to say I actually played some of this game. Not all of it mind you, I couldn't hold the gag reflex back forever.

Lets start from the top...
NewBitmapImage2.jpg

Firstly there are spelling errors every other textbox and it quickly turns to engrish. While this was funny for a little bit it quickly got stupid. Check your spelling! I can't stress this enough!

Next, the mapping was horrid. You gotta fill up that empty space, make it look like someone actually lives there. This just looks awfull...

The quests are simple walk, talk, and fight, no depth no intrigue, nothing.

Lets not even get into the battles....

So in all this game gets 0 outa 10 in my book. Absolute garbage...

That's pushing constructive critistism...

So I did what I had to do and played it... Along the way i wrote down what I was thinking. I will post that in spoilers since it is rather long. Be warned though: I didn't like this at all.

First of all: The pitch black title screen is a big turn off for me… Why is there no logo or anything? It just screams that there was no effort put into this…

Did we just have totally peacufull music, when that hooded guy killed the old guy? Way to build atmosphere.

“I will insure only monsters will get in or out.” If they are to be sealed in… Why would they want to get in?

Second map… What the hell is that supposed to be? It is some wooden room with two people, banners and nothing else? There is way to much space… You should take a look at mapping tutorials...

“Ever since the seal broke on the portal of darkness, monster are unstoppable.” Which was like 30 seconds ago? You kind of have to make clear that sopme time passed here. And it should be “monsters”.

Guessing that “little Kevin” is their son… Why are they so damn emotionless when leaving him behind? I guess you have to work on your dialouge.

Sorry but I couldn’t keep my self from laughing. The guy is hit by one attack falls down and all he has to say is: “I’m dieing.” That is by far the most amusing death scene ever.

And what is the “legendary Jonathan Steelblade” and how does killing those two prevent it from existing in the future?

This nun just walks straight to the place where the baby was hidden… And than is surprised that there is one? It seemed like she knew exactly where to look. By the way where are the corpses of those two?

“You have grown up.” Thank you for informing me. But how did you know?
And THAT was not the right point for narration. You should have made some cutscenes to explain all this. Not that it was really well explained at all. I mean the monsters are running wild for I guess 40-50 years now (since that guy really looks that old). SO what would sealing the portal now that they are all out of it gain?
Who is that oasis princess? What has she got to do with it? Why do I need a key to get to a oasis, that is obviously populated by people? Can’t they get out of it and let me in?
All of this seems so rushed.

Just looking at my stats: Why the hell do I start with only half HP and MP?

The town map is lagging like hell. I guess you put events everywhere around it, so I could leave the town in any direction at any point? Please just fence the player in some how and make specific points ehere he can leave. This is to prevent lag and by far not so confusing.

I tried the inn (where I am supposed to sleep in there? There are no rooms.) just to find that I have no money… So I have to run around injured? Great!

When I leave the inn I just start out somewhere else in town… Not to fancy.

Oh I found a “temporary inn”… whatever that is supposed to mean, but at least it is free. So…

“Do you the holder of the oasis key?” Yes I do! Thank you for asking. Hell this would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

Damn why do I need a partner to kill some bats? I am a tough guy with a loing spear equipped. Does this guy think I am an idiot?

Just saying… I won’t get any feeling for the characters if it is just “Hey, you want to join my team?” “Okay!” Why not tell storys about them? How they are involved in this whole thing? If you are going on a dangerous quest people would leave you, if they do not gain anything special from it.

Oh and leaving the pup… I start somewhere else in town again… Get your teleport points set right!

Why does that guy have so many torches in his attic? Isn’t he afraid his house could burn down?
And he has tables and chairs in groups… and a piano and an organ… and a red carpet so I don’t get lost…What kind of farmer is that?

And the bat is just standing there waiting for me to talk to it... Not to bright is it?

So… Why did I need a partner for this? It was easy. I could have done that alone.

No thank you or something just “Here is the key to the oasis.” Add some dialouge to make things become more alive.

So I can’t leave the town anywhere I want? Not even where I started when entering it from the south? This is getting annoying… Please set your teleports right…

Oh wait I can leave! By pressing enter! Honestly do I have to say something about that?

From above it looked like a forrest… Now it looks like some randomly placed trees and a lot of trees in a straight line… I think I already said this but: Look at mapping tutorials.

This is a bad example for a dungeon… I don’t know where I should be going, everything looks the same and the battles are really annoying…

I just came out of the forest and pressed left by accident and was back in the first town… Yeah… teleports… I guess I have mentioned those… And back to the dungeon…

Hey I just met an old guy in the forest who told me I can’t pass until the oasis princess has been defeated… So she is an enemy? I thought I had to ask her about the portal. She didn’t sound like a villain back then…

“Sorry, but I must defeat you by order o” and there the message was cut off… Great… And what was that key for? There was no gate or anything…

Wow… This oasis princess was not hidden in that “dungeon” at all. It took me 1 minute to get there and I had a fight with monsters and all… How about some dungeon design?

I got here some water… And now she joinms my team… I wouldn’t trust her. She was just trying to kill me. Try to make stuff more belivable…

My journal told me, I had to go to the castle… Why? Noone ever explained. I am starting to get confused.

And the old guy from before doesn’t let me in even after I defeated the oasis princess. Great programming there.

So I am in the castle… That was obviously created with the random dungeon generator or something and doesn’t look like a castle at all. You should really work on your mapping.
By the way I still don’t know what I am doing here.

What are jellyfish doing inside a castle in the mountains? Logic has just said goodbye…

Oh, there are snakes as well. And they have legs. You must be joking right?

And now the jellyfishs appear in a lava cave under the castle as well. That must be the toughest jellyfishs ever.

How does a crytal look like, that looks like you have to press some switches to make it go away? I never saw one before.

So we have plants in the lava cave as well? Maybe you should put enemies in your dungeon that actually make sense.

And now we find water. This must be where the jellyfish come from. Strange that it is in a lava cave. Wouldn’t it be all steam by now?

Wait what happened now? There was some strange girl standing inside a room and I thought here comes aboss battle and all I get is “The fire queen has joined your team”. Why did she? Your characters have no personality do they? One joined me because I asked, one because I gave her water and the last one didn’t even need a reaseon. She didn’t even say something. What were you thinking?

And just like that we all get up to level 11, or nine in fire queens case… For what? You are confusing me!

“The must go face your enemy to complete your quest” is what my journal says. Where do I go? Who is that enemy? Why the heck is all of this so rushed?

And this is when I realize… The stairs up to the castle are not there… So I am trapped inside the lava cave forever. Did you even testplay this thing?

So what you should do now:

-Read my thoughts, since they are telling what I think is wrong.
-Work on your mapping. It is empty and boring. There are mapping tutorials and a mapping improvement topic on this forum. Try learning from others.
-Work on your characters. As it stands now... There are no characters, but empty shells you use as battlers. Make the so I could believe they could be living people... Give them personality and habits. Let them talk after I recruited them. They are there to tell a story.
-Find someone who is willing to proofread your game, since your english isn't very good.
-After that... Try again.

Hope this helps

~Dalton~

Dalton":zuia6jzu said:
So I did what I had to do and played it... Along the way i wrote down what I was thinking. I will post that in spoilers since it is rather long. Be warned though: I didn't like this at all.

1) First of all: The pitch black title screen is a big turn off for me… Why is there no logo or anything? It just screams that there was no effort put into this…

2) Did we just have totally peacufull music, when that hooded guy killed the old guy? Way to build atmosphere.

3) “I will insure only monsters will get in or out.” If they are to be sealed in… Why would they want to get in?

4) Second map… What the hell is that supposed to be? It is some wooden room with two people, banners and nothing else? There is way to much space… You should take a look at mapping tutorials...

5) “Ever since the seal broke on the portal of darkness, monster are unstoppable.” Which was like 30 seconds ago? You kind of have to make clear that sopme time passed here. And it should be “monsters”.

6) Guessing that “little Kevin” is their son… Why are they so damn emotionless when leaving him behind? I guess you have to work on your dialouge.

7) Sorry but I couldn’t keep my self from laughing. The guy is hit by one attack falls down and all he has to say is: “I’m dieing.” That is by far the most amusing death scene ever.

8) And what is the “legendary Jonathan Steelblade” and how does killing those two prevent it from existing in the future?

9) This nun just walks straight to the place where the baby was hidden… And than is surprised that there is one? It seemed like she knew exactly where to look. By the way where are the corpses of those two?

10) “You have grown up.” Thank you for informing me. But how did you know?
And THAT was not the right point for narration. You should have made some cutscenes to explain all this. Not that it was really well explained at all. I mean the monsters are running wild for I guess 40-50 years now (since that guy really looks that old). SO what would sealing the portal now that they are all out of it gain?
Who is that oasis princess? What has she got to do with it? Why do I need a key to get to a oasis, that is obviously populated by people? Can’t they get out of it and let me in?
All of this seems so rushed.

11) Just looking at my stats: Why the hell do I start with only half HP and MP?

12) The town map is lagging like hell. I guess you put events everywhere around it, so I could leave the town in any direction at any point? Please just fence the player in some how and make specific points ehere he can leave. This is to prevent lag and by far not so confusing.

13) I tried the inn (where I am supposed to sleep in there? There are no rooms.) just to find that I have no money… So I have to run around injured? Great!

14) When I leave the inn I just start out somewhere else in town… Not to fancy.

15) Oh I found a “temporary inn”… whatever that is supposed to mean, but at least it is free. So…

16) “Do you the holder of the oasis key?” Yes I do! Thank you for asking. Hell this would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

17) Damn why do I need a partner to kill some bats? I am a tough guy with a loing spear equipped. Does this guy think I am an idiot?

18) Just saying… I won’t get any feeling for the characters if it is just “Hey, you want to join my team?” “Okay!” Why not tell storys about them? How they are involved in this whole thing? If you are going on a dangerous quest people would leave you, if they do not gain anything special from it.

19) Oh and leaving the pup… I start somewhere else in town again… Get your teleport points set right!

20) Why does that guy have so many torches in his attic? Isn’t he afraid his house could burn down?
And he has tables and chairs in groups… and a piano and an organ… and a red carpet so I don’t get lost…What kind of farmer is that?

21) And the bat is just standing there waiting for me to talk to it... Not to bright is it?

22) So… Why did I need a partner for this? It was easy. I could have done that alone.

23) No thank you or something just “Here is the key to the oasis.” Add some dialouge to make things become more alive.

24) So I can’t leave the town anywhere I want? Not even where I started when entering it from the south? This is getting annoying… Please set your teleports right…

25) Oh wait I can leave! By pressing enter! Honestly do I have to say something about that?

26) From above it looked like a forrest… Now it looks like some randomly placed trees and a lot of trees in a straight line… I think I already said this but: Look at mapping tutorials.

27) This is a bad example for a dungeon… I don’t know where I should be going, everything looks the same and the battles are really annoying…

28) I just came out of the forest and pressed left by accident and was back in the first town… Yeah… teleports… I guess I have mentioned those… And back to the dungeon…

29) Hey I just met an old guy in the forest who told me I can’t pass until the oasis princess has been defeated… So she is an enemy? I thought I had to ask her about the portal. She didn’t sound like a villain back then…

30) “Sorry, but I must defeat you by order o” and there the message was cut off… Great… And what was that key for? There was no gate or anything…

31) Wow… This oasis princess was not hidden in that “dungeon” at all. It took me 1 minute to get there and I had a fight with monsters and all… How about some dungeon design?

32) I got here some water… And now she joinms my team… I wouldn’t trust her. She was just trying to kill me. Try to make stuff more belivable…

33) My journal told me, I had to go to the castle… Why? No one ever explained. I am starting to get confused.

34) And the old guy from before doesn’t let me in even after I defeated the oasis princess. Great programming there.

35) So I am in the castle… That was obviously created with the random dungeon generator or something and doesn’t look like a castle at all. You should really work on your mapping.
By the way I still don’t know what I am doing here.

36) What are jellyfish doing inside a castle in the mountains? Logic has just said goodbye…

37) Oh, there are snakes as well. And they have legs. You must be joking right?

38) And now the jellyfishs appear in a lava cave under the castle as well. That must be the toughest jellyfishs ever.

39) How does a crytal look like, that looks like you have to press some switches to make it go away? I never saw one before.

40) So we have plants in the lava cave as well? Maybe you should put enemies in your dungeon that actually make sense.

41) And now we find water. This must be where the jellyfish come from. Strange that it is in a lava cave. Wouldn’t it be all steam by now?

42) Wait what happened now? There was some strange girl standing inside a room and I thought here comes aboss battle and all I get is “The fire queen has joined your team”. Why did she? Your characters have no personality do they? One joined me because I asked, one because I gave her water and the last one didn’t even need a reaseon. She didn’t even say something. What were you thinking?

43) And just like that we all get up to level 11, or nine in fire queens case… For what? You are confusing me!

44) “The must go face your enemy to complete your quest” is what my journal says. Where do I go? Who is that enemy? Why the heck is all of this so rushed?

45) And this is when I realize… The stairs up to the castle are not there… So I am trapped inside the lava cave forever. Did you even testplay this thing?

So what you should do now:

-Read my thoughts, since they are telling what I think is wrong.
-Work on your mapping. It is empty and boring. There are mapping tutorials and a mapping improvement topic on this forum. Try learning from others.
-Work on your characters. As it stands now... There are no characters, but empty shells you use as battlers. Make the so I could believe they could be living people... Give them personality and habits. Let them talk after I recruited them. They are there to tell a story.
-Find someone who is willing to proofread your game, since your english isn't very good.
-After that... Try again.

Hope this helps

~Dalton~
Thanks for all the bugs. I'll have to fix them when I get time and post a new version, although I have no idea when it'll be ready for gaming...

You should post a version first, where I can leave the lava cave, so I can go defeat that enemy or whatever. I want to finish it, so I could possibly find more errors, bugs and whatever else crosses my mind...

BTW, the ending is anti-climatic...

New Version UP!

I merged your posts together. Do not double post within the same couple of minutes again, especially if your posts are barely a sentence. It just doesn't need to happen.

New version... new game breaking bug.
When I leave the castle I end up in the sea. And if I try to go back to the lava cave from the castle, I can't, because you set the teleport in a way, that makes me pass it after I entered it. So anyone who will play it now can't get as far as I am already.

Just saying, but: The testplay buttom isn't there to look pretty.

Dalton":38743m46 said:
New version... new game breaking bug.
When I leave the castle I end up in the sea. And if I try to go back to the lava cave from the castle, I can't, because you set the teleport in a way, that makes me pass it after I entered it. So anyone who will play it now can't get as far as I am already.

Just saying, but: The testplay buttom isn't there to look pretty.

So sorry. I'll fix that and check all the warps...

New, New Version up!

Also, you might want to try copying your save, it might work...

No need to triple post within the same hour. And bumping a topic fourteen minutes after your previous post isn't necessary. Next time you'll get a warning.
~Dadevster

That's it? That was the last boss? I just cast some spells on him and take him down in about 1 and a half minute? And all I get is: "You defeated him. The world is saved."? No cutscenes or whatever?

By the way: People still can't get into the lava cave, as they would have to touch the teleport point that takes them out once they are in.
Many teleports are still messed up. (From the oasis or the forest you end up in the mountains, same for when you leave the farm house to the north, in town if you leave a building you end up somewhere else.)
If this is your "final" version, why is there a forest that tells you that it will get a map later?
What was the boat for?

All in all, you really have to put more effort into making a game, else people will not like it.

OMG! HAHAHA were to start?

Okay intro...
A black screen?

Go to paint and make a simple screen, or keep the default.

Okay why is the the portal to the demon world, house, pie sealed with only a single stone? What is the stone? Why was there a ninja? Why did the old man die in one hit? Why did the old man not care that he was dieing? Was he ready to die or running for a bad relationship? Who was the ninja? Why dose only one demon come out at the start? Why dose the door filled with LIGHT let out demons?

Part 2...
Demons will be here soon? Its been like 5 second. Are they teleporting monsters? That's pretty intense.

Further more who the HELL hides a baby behind a curtain. I mean wtf?
why did the dad walk into a monster? Guess he couldn't see him in the door way since the room was as big as 2 screens...
"I'm dieing..." huh? Must have been running form his relationship to.

LOL a nun? Just walking in and finds a baby and her only care is to take it to an orphanage? What about the two dead bodies!??? She would have had to see them in order to know it was an orphan.

"You've grown up..." I like how there's a "..." to inform us how much time has past... No number? No 45 years later?
Come on man are you trying?

left the woods and landed in the mountains... Smooth... I can long jump out of woods into giant mountains aparantly...

"You'd better not go any farther with the key." Thank you over booming 3rd person narration voice...

Part 3 the town...

okay... I see... Ice blocks, bushes, water, mountins, and grass. Where the hell am I?

Btw Talked to the demon that was let out like 45 years ago know what? He's STILL standing in the same spot!
Talk about determination.

BTW if the portal is IN the city you live in, how did you manage 45 years in this place? Must have been some harsh high school years being the only human.

... I can't get out...

Try #2

BLAH BLAH BLAH crappy start...

Okay back to the town...

The world map... Only one continent?

Okay look I can't take it... I'm done. Right-click, delete >.<.

Not to be harsh but why dose it fell like it takes longer to PLAY the game then it most likely was to make it...

Keep it up. You'll get it down eventually...

-with love,

Matt

Necro_100000":3bjtnhuh said:
OMG! HAHAHA were to start?

Okay intro...
A black screen?

Go to paint and make a simple screen, or keep the default.

Okay why is the the portal to the demon world, house, pie sealed with only a single stone? What is the stone? Why was there a ninja? Why did the old man die in one hit? Why did the old man not care that he was dieing? Was he ready to die or running for a bad relationship? Who was the ninja? Why dose only one demon come out at the start? Why dose the door filled with LIGHT let out demons?

Part 2...
Demons will be here soon? Its been like 5 second. Are they teleporting monsters? That's pretty intense.

Further more who the HELL hides a baby behind a curtain. I mean wtf?
why did the dad walk into a monster? Guess he couldn't see him in the door way since the room was as big as 2 screens...
"I'm dieing..." huh? Must have been running form his relationship to.

LOL a nun? Just walking in and finds a baby and her only care is to take it to an orphanage? What about the two dead bodies!??? She would have had to see them in order to know it was an orphan.

"You've grown up..." I like how there's a "..." to inform us how much time has past... No number? No 45 years later?
Come on man are you trying?

left the woods and landed in the mountains... Smooth... I can long jump out of woods into giant mountains aparantly...

"You'd better not go any farther with the key." Thank you over booming 3rd person narration voice...

Part 3 the town...

okay... I see... Ice blocks, bushes, water, mountins, and grass. Where the hell am I?

Btw Talked to the demon that was let out like 45 years ago know what? He's STILL standing in the same spot!
Talk about determination.

BTW if the portal is IN the city you live in, how did you manage 45 years in this place? Must have been some harsh high school years being the only human.

... I can't get out...

I know this game sucks. That is why I am remaking it in XP with a way better storyline a characters, etc...
Try #2

BLAH BLAH BLAH crappy start...

Okay back to the town...

The world map... Only one continent?

Okay look I can't take it... I'm done. Right-click, delete >.<.

Not to be harsh but why dose it fell like it takes longer to PLAY the game then it most likely was to make it...

Keep it up. You'll get it down eventually...

-with love,

Matt
There's no need to quote an entire post without saying anything, especially one so big. Don't do it again.

Dalton":xnt4g5m5 said:
That's it? That was the last boss? I just cast some spells on him and take him down in about 1 and a half minute? And all I get is: "You defeated him. The world is saved."? No cutscenes or whatever?

By the way: People still can't get into the lava cave, as they would have to touch the teleport point that takes them out once they are in.
Many teleports are still messed up. (From the oasis or the forest you end up in the mountains, same for when you leave the farm house to the north, in town if you leave a building you end up somewhere else.)
If this is your "final" version, why is there a forest that tells you that it will get a map later?
What was the boat for?

All in all, you really have to put more effort into making a game, else people will not like it.
Again, I know this game sucks, but I am remaking my game in XP, but the new one will be better...

If you remake it and take in our criticism in advice I would gladly play it! ^_^.

BTW you might want to brush our your story line. The game was far to short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.