Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content THE GRID~

Dead content awaiting restoration.
thegridlk.png

official site: gone

THE GRID~ ® is a motion-based puzzle game.
You play a nameless character, sucked into a world in which everything is ruled by 'THE GRID'..
THE GRID is a ubiquitous existance which seems to be in control, as far as you can tell.
Troughout the game you're spoken to -or rather, typed to- by something that refers to itself as 'we'.
They call themselves the quizmasters, which still leaves you in the dark about what's going on.

All you know is that you are being watched... . . . .
But still, try to please THE GRID
The game features 9 levels, of which one hidden.

oh yeah, everything is 100% custom, from the graphics to the music
please dont steal my shit
or, make something awesome with it, but at least let me know

the font 'fixedsys excelsior 2.00' will be auto-installed
if you don't run windows the font is located in a 'fonts' folder in the game dir.
you don't need the RTP to play this

If you have suggestions, or remarks, please let me know..
HINT: if you try to move too fast the game is more glitchy than when you take it easy

thegrid.png

known things: in the title screen, you have to hold the A-button (which is actually 'Z')
THE CAKE IS A LIE. I had to press'n'hold shift, not Z. :<

As I told in Screenshot Thread - this game have quite a bit Portal feel.
At first I thought that this game is a typical maze game with pushing blocks etc. but then I realized that there are some strange/illogical rules.
In short words: good game.

GameBoy":qv5uecqa said:
THE CAKE IS A LIE. I had to press'n'hold shift, not Z. :<
srsly?
well er.. i'll just set it to enter or something
also the rules will get worse.. ;D wait for it

btw how much moves did it take you to complete it?

edit:
boy oh boy there's a bug in the demo
if you make more than 2 excess moves in level 2, you get teleported to level 4 instead of 3
well anyway who's stupid enough to do that?

This was good, but the idea is the player has to deduce the rules, and sometimes throwing in too much makes that not so fun. Like in level three, I made an incorrect deduction about the objective, and just assumed I wasn't moving correctly, which had me stuck for 400 and something moves. =X

Nice, but not my type of game.

teehee, i assume that was in level 4, but you got teleported to level 4 instead of 3 due to some bug in level 2 ;D
thanks anyway

look at the bright side, at least you were able to enjoy the music the full length ;D

okayy
demo v0.2 is out
i fixed some small bugs
some grammar mistakes, and the font-auto install
i also added an overview of the most important stats in the credits screen
(total moves, excess moves and collisions)

i dare anyone to complete it without excess moves (isnt that hard) (yet)

i would say i wont be continuing on it until someone does
but that'd be a shame, i dunno how interested people are ahaha

kayy, future plans:
- add more GRID
- add more atmosphere
- add more eyecandy
- implement more story
- add more random stats
- mess with peoples minds
- that'd be it

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Great demo! This game has the freedom to go just about anywhere you want to take it. I wouldn't limit yourself to just 10 levels, either. I only have one problem with it, and that's because I think "allways" should be spelled "always". Keep at it!

Tuna":vmq5giz9 said:
"allways" should be spelled "always".
fixed.

also thanks

well my main goal is at least complete 10 levels, and after that we'll see about extras and sequels
its just that if i try to make it toooo big, i'll never finish it
and i rather have a couple of small finished gems than 1 big ongoing project that'll never see daylight
also i set it up in a way that easily enables me to make extra levels

we'll see..

kay, fixed a bug with the autoinstall font thing
bugs are bad mkayy
ps run as admin if you get a 'no permission' error

v0.21: http://bb.xieke.com/files/Motion%20Mayh ... 0v0.21.rar

teehee:

mmlvl5.png

think you can handle it?
this'll be the last screenshot until i finish the game
if you can work out the total needed moves from the screenshot you'll get a cookie
but i won't tell you the rules
THE GRID decides the rules

Jason

Awesome Bro

That was a serious guess actually, I have no idea how the rules of the game works or anything, that picture confuses me and I don't know the goal, but using my superior logic solving skills, I've decided to answer with 47, however, now I see that it could quite clearly be 74 and my numbers were simply typed the wrong way around... do you know what I am saying?

heh

no

actually this isnt the starting position.. this screen will not be possible in the game itself.. :3
nice try though
the level will be beatable in 20 moves of the circle with the diamond-shaped cutout

yo i've also been doing the composing for the game
here's a tracklist so far
i dunno how many tracks i'll do, but i think 1 per two levels is quite fitting
of course the songs increase in intensity as you progress further into the game
also i might redo the title track, as it isnt epic enough
that said, i might even redo the whole title, and call it 'THE GRID' or something

http://bb.ohsk.net/uploads/title.mp3
http://bb.ohsk.net/uploads/track1.mp3
http://bb.ohsk.net/uploads/track2.mp3
http://bb.ohsk.net/uploads/track3.mp3

now these have all been made within 10 minutes
really lazy sound design
but it works

The music is very appropriate and fits very well. Its not overboard in the music and the ambiance should make a nice background noise. I can totally see sound effects going in as well, such as beeps and boops when you move. Or you could do one of those things where you have an announcer that says simple lines such as "Times Up" or "3 moves Left" or "failure" and stuff of the sort. Or not. o:

i see you didnt play the demo :3
i try to keep the sound effects really bare, and only do one when something happens
other than those times, you're on your own in the game, trying to figure out what you have to do
because of that, you won't be able to flawlessly complete the game on the first playthrough :D

i'll keep it short enough for a second playtrough though

also you can try the demo if you'd like an impression of the system
but it's outdated already, and its mostly a system showcase by now
plus, the further you get in the game, the more the atmosphere is visible
first four levels are basically an introduction in the ways of THE GRID~

i didnt play the demo jesus hold your horses

Ill try the demo, I just wanted to give you feedback on your music because in all honesty this looks pretty cool. Ill try manana when its not super late.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.