Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Omnisia [Puzzle RPG- v1.6!]

Dead content awaiting restoration.

regi

Sponsor

v1.6- Download Now!

History

In the beginning, there was naught but stars.
According to legend, the stars were the first Creators. Their power came from two sources: magic and time. With it, they made our planet and our civilization. However, the peaceful empire attracted a dark being. The Creators fought long and hard, and in the end, they only prevailed by encasing the creature in a void of time-- where it was transferred into the future.

Countless millennia later, the upper continent divided into two Empires: Cerekol and Kuruga. Constantly at war, their feud reached its peak. The Empires grew more and more restless, and disorder marked the continent.

Despite all these troubles, we find our hero living a decent life in the peaceful Recuerdo Woods-- until his father was injured working for the King's Army. Trembling with rage, the young child called together a group of friends to fight the hated Kurugans. But that night, before any further plans could be made, a terrible scream filled the air-- and the boy vanished.

Eight long years later, Nocilis awakens in a new world with no recollection of what had happened to him in the woods. To his horror, his father has been murdered by a new threat: the band of thieves and spies, Omnisia, headed by none other than his old friend Lucian. He leaves for the forest to try and figure out the unsettling mysteries of his friends, his family, his past. There, he embarks on a journey through time itself-- where there is no turning back.

Features

Omnisia is mainly a puzzle game, with an interesting plot and battles to back it up. It is a great adventure with optional unlockables and sidequests for the explorers, like new weapons or skills, and even a character. Features include:
  • Three fully evented "special tools" for each dungeon-- use these to destroy or maneuver around obstacles whether in dungeons or outside
  • Three action-packed, puzzling dungeons that make you THINK before you can advance
  • An (optional) semi-dungeon for training, rewards, and a hidden character
  • Default battle system, except with new skills, status effects, and "Blitz" moves, where you input buttons for skills
  • A world map, not for exploring, but for teleporting to places quicker
  • and more!

Originally created for a contest, Omnisia offers around 2-4 hours of gameplay, depending on how fast you can solve the puzzles and advance through the game.

Characters with * are playable.

frownheroud3.png
Nocilis* (renameable)
A noble and valiant teen, Nocilis has the makings of a true fighter. He will try everything for the people or things he values. However, he is prone to anger and very stubborn, which sometimes drives him to do careless actions.

clericxf9.png
Cedric*
Friendly and caring, the cleric Cedric is the one who finds and saves Nocilis. He's not only kind, but also very sensible, and gives Nocilis many helpful tips. He's lived in Lutrena all his life, and will do anything for the city and the people.

copainfp0.png
Copain*
Copain was always a follower-- of his friend Nocilis, and later Lucian. He's very gullible, and likes to work with the powerful. However, his strength makes up for what he lacks in intelligence. Not many wish to get on the wrong side of this superior Knight and his amazing abilities with the lance.

lucianzn2.png
Lucian
The most mysterious friend of Nocilis. As a boy, he wasn't very talkative and kept to himself most of the time. All of that seemed to change when Nocilis met him again eight years later. Lucian was a natural leader-- one powerful with magic. But perhaps too powerful; for as the leader of Omnisia, he seems to be working against the goals of his old friend.

daduq4.png
Father
Nocilis' dad. He's very close to his beloved son, and taught him many fighting techniques when he was only eight. However, as the captain of the King Lokerec's Army, he acts a bit overconfident of himself and his abilities-- resulting in his leg injury, and later his death.

thiefwr0.png
???* (unlockable)
A mysterious girl who claims she's the leader of the "Lost Souls." She was only a kid when a Kurugan invasion force killed her. Unable to "go on," she remains helplessly trapped in a Mine, waiting for her savior.

screenshot1rp5.png

Nocilis' first visit in the "great" city of Lutrena.

screenshot2el1.png

The power of time.

screenshot3dd1.png

Flooded city of Moreina. Note the HUD in the upper left.

screenshot4mz7.png

Switch and bridge puzzle in the Aypi Caves.

screenshot5ia0.png

Cedric using "Drain" skill (Blitz).

screenshot6dy9.png

Puzzle in the Sewers. I've hidden the HUD so you don't get to see what the 3rd item is :tongue:

v1.6- added hints/clues to help with puzzles or general direction, fixed minor bugs
v1.5- modified world map, fixed several bugs, edited battle stats
v1.0- game released

There's a lot left unsaid in the story. I hope it links together in-game. You also have your play on cliche elements, but who doesn't now and days. "Our hero's" father really gets the short end of the stick. The screenshots look pretty good. The mapping is solid. All in all you have something worth a play here. I hope it makes the deadline.

So you need to input command to use skills like fighting game? That's very interesting.  Looking at the first screenshot...are they dead!?  Anyway, it seems like after this contest, there will be so many awesome games for me to play :D

"Recuerdo" woods, memory Woods (yay I know spanish XP)
Nice backstory you got there, love games with time traveling
Best of lucks with this!

regi

Sponsor

@Avadan: Haha, you noticed :lol: My friend gave me that idea for the name.

Anyway... I didn't want to give away too much, but don't worry, most of the plot is revealed toward the beginning of the game. I know it's a bit cliched, but I tried my best to make it work-- and expect some plot twists around that may liven it up a bit. I can tell you this, "our hero's" father has a bigger role than what you'd expect.

Unfortunately, the input command skills I got from a script, and you can only set default commands in it, so there won't be any variation (so it's not random each time). But it's mainly reaction (the bar fills up moderately fast) so you won't get that much time to memorize it anyway.

And the main point of the game is the puzzles, not the battles! I've limited the fighting down to where you'll be around level 10 when you get to the boss just so you get a much bigger chance to explore and try and figure out how to proceed in a dungeon.

regi

Sponsor

Added more screenshots of puzzles. As of now, I'm completely finished with my game (unless I find any more bugs)! Just need to test it some times through. You're going to be able to explore 3 dungeons full of puzzles and items, and get the chance to unlock a 4th one.

Oooh, there's some of my music in here. :) Anyway, this looks pretty neat. The plot seems solid, and though not completely original, I can see it being pulled of well. I'll probably play this when it comes out...

Anyway, I'm curious which piece(s) of my music are you using? It's neat to have my music used, I'm just usually curious where it goes.

Your game is looking great, and Im glad to see that it's done and thus will be available to be played. I can tell you that I will be trying it out! I'm sure I can get some inspiration for how to make my dungeons more interesting from this too!

The sunken city looks cool, Is there a time limit to how long you can survive underwater? Is the town actually a dungeon, with monsters etc.? or is it just a place to explore?

Good luck with the game, and I love having an unlockable dungeon! I'm gonna find it!

regi

Sponsor

Thanks for the comments! I've seen some of your screenshots too, Erichermit, your swamp probably pwns mine :tongue:

The flooded city is in fact just a regular city. It's too small really to make a dungeon, so you just get to explore the houses. Since most of it's underwater anyway, the time limit probably will just annoy the player; instead you get a mask that lets you stay underwater forever when equipped.

The unlockable dungeon is really just a place where you can train. There will be special items you can get along the way, and if you can get to and defeat the boss, you'll get a real nice reward! Good luck looking for it!

@Arcanum: Yeah, your music is fantastic. I'm using your "Watery Grave" for the sewers, "Village in the Mountains" for the flooded city (it actually fits!), and "The Betrayal" and "Fatal Struggle" as boss music.

This project seems really interesting.
Especially the story and those puzzles  :smile: Looks promising.

So with the input commands, are the 'codes' different for each skill? Or is it the same for everything?

Judging by those screens, this seems like it will be really fun to play  :thumb:
I think you've done an awesome job on this.

Can't wait!

regi

Sponsor

The input commands have different codes for each skill. So that's 12 different commands you can unlock and execute :smile:

Thanks for all the comments, I've been working on every puzzle to make them fun yet challenging. Hopefully you'll enjoy them!

regi

Sponsor

I'm thinking of adding something extra to the 4th (optional) dungeon :smile:. Also, I'll be adding more mini-games and sidequests so the player can interact a lot more.

regi

Sponsor

Link to the contest thread added, in case you can't find it? :tongue:

So how is the game? Anything on the puzzles? I'd just like to know their difficulty. I might be adding a guide, if players find some areas too hard.

regi

Sponsor

Updated game. I think the battles were a bit too easy. Some monsters were edited and improved.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who supported me in the contest. Congrats to hima, and kudos to Yaoumei and Anaryu.
I won third place! ...out of 3 entries... :smile:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.