Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Fall of Terra [Released!]

Dead content awaiting restoration.
The differences in the battle system are hard to describe through pictures, but fundamentally it is KGC's Active Count Battle System. So here are some of the differences with this system:

-The battle is active, so you shouldn't waste much time determining which skill to use, etc.
-There is a bar on the left that displays when what actor or enemy will get to make a move.
-Using a skill increases the amount of time before your next turn rather than a simple attack
-There are HP/SP bars (not really a battle system feature, but still a nice addition)
-Every skill has a recharge time (this is custom and is not part of the KGC script). The higher the level of skill, the longer the recharge time.

The game has been released (a couple days early). Refer to the main post for the download link. Feel free to try it out and let me know what you think. It certainly isn't a perfect game, but I think you'll enjoy it.

Well obviously all the posts after the game was released have been lost. For any of you that have played the game and have anything new to comment on, feel free to do so.

Your comments and criticism have been appreciated.

regi

Sponsor

Nice work. I just finished the game and saw both endings. It was very enjoyable. Here are a few more comments.

Gameplay is pretty decent overall. The battles are pretty balanced, although I have to complain, some battles were easy, but too long. I would suggest increasing strategies for fights and lowering HP, rather than just having the player hacking away endlessly. You had a few good puzzles in certain later dungeons, but I'm sure you have room to add more. Exploration and NPC interaction were pretty good as well, many of the sidequests/extras were fun to do.

The long battles at cities (with guards fighting all over the place) were well-done. I liked the first one and the attack on the Rebel area, as well as the towns attacked by Acerbus monsters. But the fight at the capital could use a little work. It was pretty easy-- you had plenty of soldiers to back you up. The main thing was having one party running back and forth up and down the walls to the gate. It might be a little more interesting if they got in and you had several soldiers around the place dueling, but I guess you'd have to make it work.

Before the final fights in the ruins (when you got to walk around the place and finish sidequests), walking around the world became annoying again. Once again, there should be a dash function, or a way to get from town to town faster (maybe a carriage option that you can purchase?). The different places were mapped well, though. You varied the RTP nicely, it looked like you had almost every tileset except for Inner Body and Evil Castle. I also liked the transitions from grassland to desert, and grassland to snow plains.

I don't think I've commented on story yet; it was nicely executed with good cutscenes, but just a little cliched. There's a lot about fighting one's family. I also find it a little hard to believe Damian was selfless enough to try and sacrifice his life to save the world, when his two brothers were so selfish and different. I also hoped there might be a little more peaceful solutions (e.g. when you were asked to kill some woman's husband?) but I guess violence is always the answer? Motivations weren't always the best (greed seemed to be one of the major ones), but they worked.

Finally, the music suited the scenes pretty well, and atmosphere was good, although you could work on some cosmetic fogs a little more. Some areas were a little too foggy, or too dark, but otherwise worked.

That said, I applaud you for actually finishing such a well-polished game. It definitely could use more work in the gameplay area, but I still enjoyed it.

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll take everything you've said into consideration if and when I decide to improve on the game.

Just curious, what was your overall play time?

regi

Sponsor

It was about 11 hours I think, although I did revisit a lot of towns to try and finish all the sidequests and get the items, heheh.

Blehhh, forum rollback and my computer imploded within 3 days of eachother, so i need 2 restart this game >_<. I dident get to far but up to where i got it was fun. Im hoping to beat this game within the next couple weeks...i'll add my opinion when i finish the game, if it counts since im new =P

Looks Awesome...Im Making Game Too! But Is It My First And I Dont Know Actually Anything.. :D Can U Help me ? :D .... I Dont Even Know How To Make Like Animal Walking Automatic..Please Help Somebody ;D

I'll keep adding more to this as I play, so keep checking.

When going from the Northern Bridge map to the Western Path map, the fog disappears. When I go back to the Western Path with the sign in it, then go back to the right the fog returns.

EDIT: On the map "Mountain Top" with the tent that allows you to heal, you can walk off the ladder and walk along the walls.

terraglitch1.png

You can walk onto this ledge.

Another problem I find is the fountain/waterfall sound effects carry on throughout several maps, don't stop during a cutscene when you enter other areas etc.

terraglitch2.png

In "The Forest" after I escape from sewers, I shouldn't be able to walk onto this raised land.

terraglitch3.png

Minor graphical error, you're missing a shadow, on the way to Gali in "The Forest"

terraglitch4.png

I can walk onto this cliff from the ground. In "Eastern Paths"

terraglitch5.png

Really glitchy cliffs here, I can walk onto them in a couple more locations.

terraglitch6.png

Glitchy cliff in "The Plains"

terraglitch7.png

text error

terraglitch9.png

another glitchy cliff in The Plains

terraglitch8.png

glitchy cliff

Buying a beer at the bar in the desert town doesn't actually take your money

I've only been playing for a few minutes but kudos. I looked for a long time to finally find a GOOD, but simple game (RTP graphics dont matter.. that they are used well, does). I'm very pleased with the atmosphere you set up. Interesting AND well made maps that use the chips well.

You did a really good job, you should make sure it's all copyright safe and sell it. I'd pay 5-10 bucks for it. (5 is probably more marketable though). If it had all original content, I'd totally pay 20 bucks for it. But then again, that's just me. I'm not sure you'd turn a profit, but it would be an interesting experiment either way.

CakeStorm":32xq5ibz said:
I've only been playing for a few minutes but kudos. I looked for a long time to finally find a GOOD, but simple game (RTP graphics dont matter.. that they are used well, does). I'm very pleased with the atmosphere you set up. Interesting AND well made maps that use the chips well.

You did a really good job, you should make sure it's all copyright safe and sell it. I'd pay 5-10 bucks for it. (5 is probably more marketable though). If it had all original content, I'd totally pay 20 bucks for it. But then again, that's just me. I'm not sure you'd turn a profit, but it would be an interesting experiment either way.

I am glad you feel that way, but I doubt I will ever sell it, for the following reasons:
-The game would need a lot more polishing and more content, etc.
-I would have to change some of the resources, like the music, that prevent me from legally selling it.
-Even though you may pay five bucks for it, most people wouldn't bother. The game simply isn't of commercial quality. That is extremely difficult to achieve by yourself with such a large project.

I do appreciate your comment though and hope you continue to play. Glad you're enjoying it.

This may be against the rules a bit, but I'm giving this topic a bump. This is a game that I released several months ago, and I'd like to give people a chance who maybe never saw it to try it out. I spent a lot of work on this game, and unfortunately there was a forum crash a week after the game's release, so most of the posts after the release were lost, which I think hurt its popularity a bit. Note that this is a complete ten hour game, and not many RMXP games like this are out there.

It's been a while since I've worked on this, and I'm sure I could do much better now. But I think for what it is, it's a very solid, complete RMXP game with tons of action sequences that are rarely seen in RMXP games and I think you should try it out. Please at least try the first fifteen minutes of the game, because that's when the action starts. So I apologize if it first it seems to start out a little slow, but I promise it will quickly pick up. Also note that if it seems like it's religious to start with, that's just the way the story happens to start out; I'm certainly not trying to shove religion down anyone's throat.

Comments and criticism are appreciated. I spent three years on this game and I started it in high school; it was a very iterative process. But I'm happy with the way it turned out.

I don't have the time right now, but I'll give it a try soon. I just wanted to point this out : do something about your night scenes. Just making the map darker won't imitate darkness : less light = less colors, so you have to lower saturation. Right now it's way too blue, way too bright, which is, IMO, not appealing. Also, I'm intrigued by the cinematic battle thingy. If it really is your strongest aspect, give it MUCH MORE visibility. With some screenshots (they do not need to be full-sized one - actually, if they are 640x480, people will pass them off as just some other screenshots) of such scene, if it is any relevant.

Comments I wrote while playing the game...

-Drop the two messages before the title screen. They are not needed, it can become redundant when you open the game more than one time (even if you can skip it). In particular, "A Game Made with RMXP". Normally, you may have something like your company's name, but not your own name (the producer). You should leave it to the beginning of the game, right after "New Game" OR show that and some credits on the corner of the screen while the cinematics play.
-The battles custscenes, while short, are quite interesting. However, it doesn't switch to the next cutscene smoothly, mostly because of the music. Try to find a single track that starts quickly and becomes slower and slower in a way that it meshes.
-I think there are a little too much unneccessary stuff on your maps, such as weeds. This is a town, it shouldn't be that messy. But if that's your style that it can be okay though.
-Your game has a heavy RTP feeling right from the start, and that can turn off a lot of people. I have nothing against RTP myself, but try making some recolors and maybe use some more screen tones so that it looks at least somewhat new.
-I haven't actually tried it, but what happens if the player forgets to equip his weapon? Does the general remind him to do so until he does?
-Rather than having Curtis "wanting to speak to you", I think it'd be best if you "had an appointement". It fits "training" better.
-Your town is pretty good, it feels alive. Some NPCs have more realistic move routes, and it is quite appreciated.
-However, neither the Priest nor the Hero feels alive. Both seems to take their lines from an "argument list" without even thinking what they are saying. We should be feeling the priest's faith, like "My friends, the is going wrong, that is going wrong. It's all because of..." (who cares if the hero should have missed the beginning). As for the hero, he just starts debating out of nowhere. Does he feel angry at what he's saying? While the priest is making the sermon, perhaps show some of the hero's inner thoughts brewing until he can't contain them no more. And doesn't the priest feel offended? Most people would, if they get interrupted in front of all the people.
-Now, I like the pacing. You don't wait hours before something happens. But as much as your main character is a great hero, it doesn't feel right AT ALL to have him just stand in front of the soldiers and act like he's gonna do all the job. Try, maybe, to give something to set off the spark before that (yes, I know they are supposed to be mortal enemies, but still). Maybe kill off one of the soldiers before the fight actually start. Or, just start the fight before you have the time to react.
-Even though it's quite convenient for the story, it doesn't feel right when in the rebel have capture no one but those two. If it was a prison cell, it wouldn't be so bad, but the church is screaming "we have space for more prisonners!".
-In the entrance of the castle. Your stairs don't seam with the carpet above it. Did you know you can double-click on an autotile in the map editor to get all the possible tiles created with it? Try that.
-I think it's fine for the "brother" to wear civilian clothes while sleeping. He can always change later on.
-I was kinda of dissapointed when I actually saw the rebels. It would have made a great plot twist if everything was normal and the heroes were blamed for spreading false rumors. Oh well. The "my magic is weird, I jump ahead of time" makes up for it a little.
-When you save the citizens, make them move. Like, jump or something.
-Seriously, just put an item shop in the village. Don't bother people with going all the way back to that other town.
-Don't you think Toxic Fumes is a little strong? It can one-shot a character.
-Buff skills like "shield" are not very interesting if it takes a whole 3-4 turns to buff your party.
-Read about Risk v.s. Reward. The risk of fighting the cerebus (3-headed dog) for outweights the rewards. It's not interesting for the player to find that they used 5 healing potions to get only 3.
-Also on Risk v.s. Reward. Fighting 2 enemies gives you twice as much xp and gold than fighting 1 enemy. That is false logic. It should give you more that that, like 2.5-3x. Don't forget that while you are killing off one of them, the other is still attacking you, so you get dealt 3x as much damage, but you only get 2x the rewards. Fighting 3 enemies is even worse : you get dealt 6x the damage. Do something about that please.
-Fighting a boss when you have nothing left because of the 50 underlings before it is kinda annoying for the player. RPG aren't supposed to be games of ressource management.

So after a few more tries I thought that, not knowing how much HP that bird boss has, I'll be doing something else cause it's starting to be a bit of a waste of time.

General impression : I can certainly feel a good amount of effort put in it. At certain points it feels quite professional : you give precise indicators to the players, so they won't get lost easily. Considering I played only like, 1/5th (if the game is as long as you say), the story has some potential. Sure, it's sort of cliche at the start, but it does a good job introducing the player to the game. I'd take a different approach, but there are many ways to start an RPG. Don't make it too cheesy, though, your hero is way too much "I'm the fearless shining knight". If you want to hook players all the way through though, you will have to work on your characters more than that. I didn't feel much personality in them. Finally, I think that you really wanted to create your story, but you didn't think about designing it as a game. The battles are especially an issue, the difficulty level is somewhat right, but they have flaw that I mentioned earlier that you can't even call "polishing". Advancing properly is a core aspect of all RPGs.

Wow, these are very good, thorough comments. I do realize that the game could be balanced better, even though I put a ton of work into that aspect. Balancing is very difficult and it was a very iterative process. I even used mathematical functions for a lot of things. You have good advice on the concept of risk vs. reward.

On your question about equipping your weapon in the beginning...yes, Curtis will remind you if you don't do it properly. I made sure to always take care of cases where the player does something abnormal, but I'm sure there's a couple cases that I missed.

If you really can't beat that boss, I would hate that to prevent you from getting further, because it won't be long after that that the game will pick up more. If this is indeed the case, you can send me your save if you want and I can help you out by giving you some items or something. The problem is that I only had five beta testers or so, but that's not really enough to get a good feel for how reasonable some boss fights are. This is because everyone is going to have a different inventory of items and armor, and this can dramatically affect the difficulty of a fight.

My main advice is to use your free heals at save points wisely; only use them when you are really hurting to get the most out of them. Also, in case you didn't know, there's a tent at the top of that mountain where you can heal for free at any time (but according to where you've saved, maybe that's not an option for you right now).

Also note that in many cutscenes, the music is timed very specifically. So, if you minimize the game or don't have the game in focus, the music will become unsynchronized. So, when you're writing comments, please do so after a cutscene has finished in order to experience it the way it was intended.

Thanks again for your feedback.

About the cutscene. Actually, I know about the synchro thing. That isn't really the issue. In "intro song", the "battle" theme stops at around 00:54, and then the other theme starts (in game, it correspond to the night with the tent or something). No matter how I listen to it, it feels like you stitched two different songs together with a fade-in fade-out. I may be wrong, but the transition isn't great.

I am curious to see what's going next, what happens in these cases is that I take a break and get back to it later. I've saved before that, so I might try using more potions rather than having a better equipment or whatnot.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.