Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content Fall of Terra [Released!]

Dead content awaiting restoration.
banner.jpg

Download: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21112613 ... a_v1_0.zip

---Update on 12-23-11---
The download link for this game was broken for several months. A couple people have been asking how to download this game, so I've re-uploaded it to GameFront. You can download it from the link above.

It was a long time ago that I made this game, and I don't make RMXP games anymore, but I did spend a ton of work on this game and there might be a few people out here that have never tried it who might enjoy it.

---Update on 3-16-10---
As I mentioned in a post a few days ago, I'm bringing this topic back from the dead to give more people a chance to play this game who maybe never saw it or had a chance to try it out. I'll put that post here for convenience:

This is a game that I released several months ago, and I'd like to give people a chance who maybe never saw it to try it out. I spent a lot of work on this game, and unfortunately there was a forum crash a week after the game's release, so most of the posts after the release were lost, which I think hurt its popularity a bit. Note that this is a complete ten hour game, and not many RMXP games like this are out there.

It's been a while since I've worked on this, and I'm sure I could do much better now. But I think for what it is, it's a very solid, complete RMXP game with tons of action sequences that are rarely seen in RMXP games and I think you should try it out. Please at least try the first fifteen minutes of the game, because that's when the action starts. So I apologize if it first it seems to start out a little slow, but I promise it will quickly pick up. Also note that if it seems like it's religious to start with, that's just the way the story happens to start out; I'm certainly not trying to shove religion down anyone's throat.

Comments and criticism are appreciated. I spent three years on this game and I started it in high school; it was a very iterative process. But I'm happy with the way it turned out.

---Update on 5-31-09---
The Fall of Terra has been finally been released. Your comments and criticism are appreciated.

Please take note that although the game has gone through extensive testing, there of course are still probably bugs. If you find any, especially ones that prevent you from progressing further, please let me know either by PM or by posting it here, preferably in a spoiler tag. If you feel there could be balancing tweaks (boss difficulty, etc.) feel free to let me know too. I do plan to keep working on this a little more and if necessary release an update with bug fixes and balancing tweaks.
--------------------

STORY SYNOPSIS
Damian is a young man born and raised in Terra, which has been the strongest nation for over a thousand years. However, in recent years a rebellious faction has taken over the northeast portion of the continent. Despite this, the king has not yet made any orders to retake this region, and some speculate that more attacks will soon come.

In a world on the brink of total war, Damian will use his new-found abilities to aid the Terrans in defeating the rebels for good, while simultaneously attempting to find the source of his strange powers. In his quest to find his place in the universe, strange events make him question the very nature of reality, and causee him to wonder if there is more to the universe than meets the eye.

--------------------

MAIN CHARACTERS
I would rather not talk too much about the characters and instead let the game explain them, but I will put them here for the thread's requirements.

Damian.png

Damian: As the main character, he has a very difficult task at hand. Haunted by the events of his past, Damian must strive to adapt in an ever-changing world. Despite his past, he must regain his confidence and find the good potential that he has within him, while discovering the horrible and evil potential of others.

Ciara.png

Ciara: When Damian helps Ciara escape death, she is surprised when he goes on his way rather than asking for anything in return. Having not met any man like him before, she continues to try to learn about Damian throughout the game to figure out what makes him so different.

Brutus.png

Brutus: He is the brother of Ciara. He constantly refuses to trust Damian, and believes Damian's only objective is to win over his sister.

--------------------

PICTURES
titlescreen.jpg

The title screen.

BattleSystem-1.jpg

KGC's Active Count Battle System. (This is not RMXP's default battle system).

DamianshomeNEW.jpg

Damian's home. This will be one of the few instances that I am using a cosmetic fog; I will try to only use them subtly in certain areas to enhance the map a bit.

snowarea-1.jpg

A snow area.

Bevanunderattack.jpg

A town being attacked.

westernpath.jpg

A forest at night.

EndoraBattle.jpg

The battle at the capital city.

mountainscene.jpg

A conversation between Damian and Ciara.

in-gamemenu.jpg

The in-game menu.

--------------------

What makes this game different from other RMXP games?
Despite some obvious cliches, are some differences:

-This is a FULL game
-Lots of action-intense scenes
-You will be able to partake in several in-game cinematic battles (refer to the "Battle at the capital city" picture for an example of what I mean). This should be one of the strong points of the game; dozens of soldiers will be engaged in battle in a city or town and you must help your fellow soldiers out the best you can. These events are entirely event-based, and they have very complicated systems. The battle pictured above uses 7 Parallel Processes, each handling a different part of the battle (Soldier HP, Attacking, Reinforcing, etc.) It certainly isn't perfect, but I don't think this sort of thing has really been done before in an RMXP game.
-Unlike most games, you will not be sided with the rebels. You will be sided with the army of Terra, and they will be with you every step of the way.
-A good quality assortment of MP3 music from several different sources

--------------------

FAQ

How long is the game?
About 9 -10 hours; it will vary based on sidequests and exploration.

How big is the game?
About 160 MB

How long have you worked on this game for?
I worked on this game for about three years, but I didn't consistently work on it; some months I did not work on it at all. However, I have definitely put a LOT of time into this project.

The game looks pretty interesting.  I like the originality in the story and characters.  But what did you mean by "Damian will use his new-found abilities"?

Did you mean to say the battle system is fully evented or just enchanced with events?  If it is fully evented, why did you make it to look like the default front-view battle system?  It's very boring, I think.

Your mapping is somewhat decent.  On the snow map, I don't understand why there is that "splashing" animation on the water.  It doesn't fit.  Damien's home is also "oddly shaped".  On the bottom-half, it looks the walls going up make his house shrink.

But overall the game looks pretty good.  Good luck with it and all.

The official battle system used is the front-view one, but it is Active Time. It is not the default battle system. The other battles I was talking about are ones that occur in-game, where you can move around while other soldiers are engaging in fights with the rebels. If you aid them, it will go into the front-view battle.

The splashes are just meant to make it look like it's going slightly downhill...I think it looks okay.

I may consider modifying/improving the house...I made that map long ago when I was first starting out with RMXP.

The splashes really don't look okay.  The river doesn't look like it's going downhill at all.  Those splase sprites are meant for the bottom of waterfalls also, so of course it'd look wrong when used in any other way.

The house most certainly does need improving.  It doesn't look realistic at all.  There's no oven or cabinet for food.

Wow, that menu looks absolutely gorgeous. The Naramura battlers are fairly common, and you are using Arshes as a main character, but that's more of a personal preference.

I'd like to know a bit more about the story, it sounds pretty interesting. The characters are fairly cliche (Main character who must find good in himself, female character in love with the main character, etc.) The battle scene doesn't look very exciting to me, of course I imagine in-game it'd look more enthralling. The cosmetic fog on the indoor map looks neat, however, like MukanshinBlack said, does need some work.

All in all, good luck on this, hope you finish.  :straightthumb:

This actually looks pretty good. I can't find anything negative to say. Oh wait, healthy looking flowers on the winter map. That seems kind of out of place unless theres some explanation for it. All in all this project looks promising. Best of luck  :thumb:

Everything looks pretty damn good. Yeah I have to agree with Mazoku though. Just tiny little details like the flowers. But that's not that bad at all. The only real negative thing that I could think of is the battle system. Maybe change that around, and your game would be perfect. (Well atleast it would look perfect)
=]

Thanks for the comments. I'll try to fix the maps as suggested; I tend to use the tiles that are provided in the tileset, even though sometimes they don't always make the most sense. I probably won't be changing the battle system since I've had to make quite a few little script modifications. I prefer it when the characters can have larger, more detailed graphics displayed. But again, it's not the default battle system; it's KGC's Active Count battle system.

Oh I apolagize, I didnt look too carefully haha =\

Also, if you have trouble with the default tilesets and you feel that they are limiting you (I sure do), but you love the tiles, look here:

http://www.crankeye.com/resources/xp-tilesets/

These are all the tiles, and more, of Rpg maker xp fused together in larger sets.
You will have to go through them, though, and make the passable and nonpassible in your database.

That's okay, I do all of my own "fusing" of tilesets...there are several instances where I need tiles that aren't there. But at the same time I try not to use tilesets that have everything in them because they can cause loading issues on slower computers and they also make it tempting to use tiles that really shouldn't belong.

MukanshinBlack":98cozsl5 said:
The house most certainly does need improving.  It doesn't look realistic at all.  There's no oven or cabinet for food.

really? Your nitpicking that? wow... uhm, I wouldn't expect to see either and oven nor a cabinet in a medieval-esq home.

I think it looks interesting so far - props. I'd like to see more of the battle system, to see what differentiates it from normal RTP

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.