Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP]Fear System Script.

I'm currently creating a Fear System for my game that's purely visual at this point. I was searching for a Fear System on here and didn't really see anything, so I was wondering if I could get advice on what I might can add or subtract to this script to make it more fluid and more creative so someone other than me might be able to use it for their own game.

Like I said, as of right now, it's purely visual but I'll post the features list:

• Shakes Player when Afraid (Shaking also works stand alone for example, if you want to shake a heavy event character w/ every footstep, it works and looks very nice)
  • As Fear Level Rises, the shaking becomes more visible.
  • Player walks faster as fear level rises (Synonymous with running)
  • Events can scare a player based on Proximity (Through Event Comments)
  • Fear Level Decreases with Time but can also be lowered by event call or turned off
  • Player Flashes White when at the Maximum Fear Level.

EDIT: As I script new features, I'll add the list.

• Player Cannot Move Toward Sources of Fear if Too Afraid
  • Time Spent next to Fear Source can increase Fear. (Instead of simply setting it to a certain level)(Still customizable through event comments)

I want to make this feature list a little longer and possibly come up with some creative ideas to make the Fear Value affect the player in other ways somehow. [My Current Game doesn't make use of the battle system but Fear induced states or lowered stats has been an idea I've had] But I'd like anyone's feedback on how to make it better.

Sounds good to me, but is there actually anything negative to being scared? Walking faster could even be a positive - you might get players walking close to events in order to be scared and using it as a boost. I guess a big part of a fear system is the player themselves being scared/unwilling to be scared.

Right now, not exactly. And I definitely see your point. I'm actually trying to use this thread to help brainstorm a few ways negatives might come from a fear based system and the only thing I can think of would be stat loss, hp loss or some sort of stiff movement or repellant. Players can't walk towards an event if they're too scared to move. etc.

Or maybe having the opposite... like a morale system that gives the player some sort of reward or helps the player move through an area. i'm not sure. Maybe having obstacles placed solely for the purpose of harming the player so they're more careful where they step when they're scared into "running" or Making the player cautious to some things.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.