Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

XAS ABS Battle problems

Hello people! I have currently started on my new RPG Project, and I am trying to use XAS ABS battle system.
For you who dont know about it, please read:

http://xasabs.wordpress.com/

The battle system means that you can battle enemies on the very maps, and dont transfer to a separate battle scene. The system uses skills called Tools that are on a separate map and are called to the current map when fighting.

I am a beginner at this so I used the XAS Original Project as a base for my Project and changed the main character.

The line SELF_MOTIONS [ID] = "name here" in every tool script means that the player will change graphic to the "name here" graphic and play that animation while performing the tool action (changing to a sword slash when using a sword etc.) I have a problem with this. The animation/graphic isn't changed to the given graphic when using a tool (I want to change "hero" to "hero using sword"). The swords's animation (slash) is shown but I don't get the player graphic to change to what I want.

I hope this Picture explains better:

2ykfhjr.png

See? I DONT want my player to stay in original graphic (like the in-game Picture), and I drew a sword in the
"sword-using graphic" and assigned the name of that "sword using sprite" in the script in SELF_MOTIONS.

WHY doesn't the player change graphic to the right Graphics, why is it still in original Graphics? I have tried to google it, and I keep finding that the tool-using Graphics should be assigned in SELF_MOTIONS where I assigned it.

Can somebody please explain this?

Thanks in advice!

regi

Sponsor

IIRC, the string should be a suffix, not the entire sprite name. e.g. if your hero sprite is called "Hero" and you want it to use "Hero_SWD01", SELF_MOTIONS should be "_SWD01".

Oh thank you. My character name isnt hero though, where do I assign that? In the database or in a script as well? I mean my character name is Izidor in the database. Is that enough for the ABS to understand what my Hero name is or do I need to assign Izidor as standard Hero name in any script?

Thanks in advice

EDIT: I have named my sprite Hero and the tool using graphic to "_SWD_01" (just like the original) and that made it work, but how can I change the name if nessecary? Where do I assign STANDARD sprite / hero name?

If it's the ABS I'm thinking of, you have a default sprite named anything, and choose that as your character sprite. So for example called Izador.png. You select that as their normal walking sprite in the editor.

Then you have:

Izador.png
Izador_SWD_01.png

etc.

regi

Sponsor

You can rename your sprite just like you rename files and folders. Just navigate to the Graphics/Characters folder, find your hero, and call it what you want (e.g Izador.png). Note that this may require changing events you have already created (as they will point to a missing graphic).

I have tried that but it doesn't seem that the system understands that Izidor is my standard sprite, as I use Hero_Original project (where Hero seems to be assigned as standard somewhere. I mean renaming hero to anything else doesn't seem to work.

Maybe I am slow but what do I miss? The self motions doesnt work with a sprite not named Hero.

ok so I have some other questions about the XAS ABS.

1. Enemies return once the player re-enters the room (even if they are defeated). What to do if I would like to make a boss battle? Where is the "boss enemy switch ID"? In the script? Or how do I make so that enemy (the boss) never returns once defeated?

2. If I would like a variable/switch to be activated when an enemy has been killed, where do I edit that?

Thanks in advice!

regi

Sponsor

It's been years since I worked with the abs, but there should be a hash somewhere called
DEFEAT_SWITCH_IDS

where you can map enemies to switches to turn on.

There is a variable that tracks the number of enemies you've killed, but if you want a specific variable per enemy you'll need to make your own modifications to the script. Alternatively, you can turn on a switch whenever an enemy dies, have a Parallel Process event that checks for the switch, and increments a counter each time it's turned on.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.