Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content World Outside

Dead content awaiting restoration.
Bah, there's probably some obvious thing I'm missing here, but would someone please help me out here? >_>

I'm inside the cave of the mercenaries, and I'm at the part where I need to push the exploding barrel by the rock to blow it up, but the dang fireball keeps blowing it up before I can push it all the way over there. ;_;

Link in Pink":3e37ikwq said:
Bah, there's probably some obvious thing I'm missing here, but would someone please help me out here? >_>

I'm inside the cave of the mercenaries, and I'm at the part where I need to push the exploding barrel by the rock to blow it up, but the dang fireball keeps blowing it up before I can push it all the way over there. ;_;
Move the barrel a bit to the right, then quickly tap space bar to send it by the booby trap.  Next, move it back to the rock, right then up,walk through the booby trap's line of fire diagonally so you don't get hit, and that should explode the rock.

Gah, that necromancer is kicking my ass.  >_< The beatings never end, do they?

Alright a played a bit of it and wrote some things down I noticed.
1) There should be a speed/skip intro button, and if there is, it should be more obvious what it is.
2) After fighting the snake boss, the character north up to get to the next map, but appears at a north door walking south. Breaks the sense of realism.
3) The boy should have a seperate inventory from the woman to add more realism. Its kind of weird the boy has items that the girl collected. (Also, if you do that, maybe scatter a few rain gel for the boy to find in the mansion)

I did like some of the new additions that you don't see in many rmxp games, like the detailed poses for each move and the bathrooms. I would say more, but I got killed by that multiple arrow trap while trying to get to that treasure chest. Oh well, back to square one (But maybe put a save point there for people like me, who are silly enough to go after that chest)

Eeh. o_O What am I supposed to do after beating all the ghosts? I can't find anymore and nothing's happening. (And yes, I also killed the lady in the church that fights back a bit.)

Also. The keys are so messed up. I can't even find the menu button. And there's this button that makes the whole screen flash white. o_O

$t3v0

Awesome Bro

haha tell me about it TM!

It was through my create anything but don't care about usability phase. Back in the .NET days I think.

$t3v0":qzosa3bu said:
I made that staircase and I'm not in the credits :(

Well what the heck! I'll fix that. I either missed it, or someone else was toting these without your credit section at the bottom, if I can ensure it wasn't me just putting your name in the wrong credits.txt file, I'll let you know who's carrying your graphics. Thanks for letting me know!

EDIT: This one was my fault, I have the sheet with your graphics on the bottom, they were edited into one window and I didn't add your name into the credits file I track with a project. I'm double checking any other custom graphics in the game to make sureI didn't miss any more.

Twin Matrix":2gies8fr said:
Eeh. o_O What am I supposed to do after beating all the ghosts? I can't find anymore and nothing's happening. (And yes, I also killed the lady in the church that fights back a bit.)

Also. The keys are so messed up. I can't even find the menu button. And there's this button that makes the whole screen flash white. o_O

Oops! Got so caught up in the credit problem I missed these!

There's a Manual.jpg file that shows the default buttons and their keyboard keys. You can press F1 to and go to Keyboard to see what you have the buttons mapped to. The buttons listed in game are the game-buttons, not the keyboard buttons (ie. by default A = Z key).

If you kill ALL the ghosts (inside and out) you'll automatically see the story progress. There's 2 right over the bridge, 3 up outside the church, like 5 or 6 in the church, 2 across a bridge to the south, 4 when you up and right, 1 outside the inn, and 2 and then 5 or 6 inside the inn.

^

Haha, no problem. =D

Okay, I'll mess around with F1, thanks. ^^

I'll go mess around with the ghosts so more then. :3

BTW, did you make that particle system yourself or is it someone else's? It looks like someone else's, but the way you use it in the intro for the logo coming across the screen looks really professional. How did you do that? Take the logo as a particle? o.o

Edit: Ookie, got further in the game. The combo system is pretty glitched, IMO. Sometimes it doesn't really work. Also, if you don't assign a skill to A and B, you can't perform an AB combo. Which is pretty silly, because when you do the AB combo, you don't do the B-skill, so there shouldn't need to be one assigned to it. Eh. And what's with the colored globes at the top-left? Also, it's incredibly laggy on my fast computer. X_x Way more laggy than my graphic heavy game.

Of course, the system and such is brilliant as always. I wonder though, as EXP is only used to buy skills, how do you gain levels? If you don't, how do you increase your stats like HP and MP, etc.?

=D

Twin Matrix":20mz7l4i said:
^

Haha, no problem. =D

Okay, I'll mess around with F1, thanks. ^^

I'll go mess around with the ghosts so more then. :3

BTW, did you make that particle system yourself or is it someone else's? It looks like someone else's, but the way you use it in the intro for the logo coming across the screen looks really professional. How did you do that? Take the logo as a particle? o.o

Edit: Ookie, got further in the game. The combo system is pretty glitched, IMO. Sometimes it doesn't really work. Also, if you don't assign a skill to A and B, you can't perform an AB combo. Which is pretty silly, because when you do the AB combo, you don't do the B-skill, so there shouldn't need to be one assigned to it. Eh. And what's with the colored globes at the top-left? Also, it's incredibly laggy on my fast computer. X_x Way more laggy than my graphic heavy game.

Of course, the system and such is brilliant as always. I wonder though, as EXP is only used to buy skills, how do you gain levels? If you don't, how do you increase your stats like HP and MP, etc.?

=D

The Particle system is from scratch and my own, you can find the VX version of it somewhere in the Script Archives, I have an XP version I polished up laying around somewhere but never bothered to post it.

The colored orbs under your character show what hits you're doing at the moment, yellow means A, red means B, blue means that whatever attack you're using right now will accept input during that period of time.

For example let's say your character had:
A: Cast Power
B: Flame Arrow
Gust: Combo A B B

To do the Gust move you would need to press: A, then B, then B, like in a fighting game. The blue orb represents the timing for the current attack, ie. when you press A and you use Cast Power, if you press B while the orb is blue another orb will be added to the order (for Flame Arrow).

Combos aren't using buttons at the same time, to do  the combo A B you don't press A and B at the same time, you press A and then press B.

The orbs show the current combo is going, so if you aren't pressing the buttons with the right timing it won't fill up far and you can tell that's why the combo isn't working. :)

As hima pointed out though, if you don't have enough MP or Stamina a move can't be used, so the combo will stop.

Love the game so far, combat system is intense (well so far anyway). However, I have a minor problem based on my stupidity I'm guessing.
I'm at the part where I have to "push barrels" in the water sewer thing so I can, I'm guessing, jump to the other platform. But when I try to jump sideways, when I'm next to it (bottomest square of that room), I can't jump. Unless of course I was supposed to push another barrel and if so could anyone help me with it? I suck with that lol.

Anopob":2j769lxi said:
Love the game so far, combat system is intense (well so far anyway). However, I have a minor problem based on my stupidity I'm guessing.
I'm at the part where I have to "push barrels" in the water sewer thing so I can, I'm guessing, jump to the other platform. But when I try to jump sideways, when I'm next to it (bottomest square of that room), I can't jump. Unless of course I was supposed to push another barrel and if so could anyone help me with it? I suck with that lol.

Try being a little bit away from the barrel; your characters moves half-squares instead of the normal square size, so you might need to stand back because you can't jump into a wall.

Ok, second playthrough, and I have a couple more things written down.
1) When the boss of the bandit cave is walking down the ladder, he should be facing up so it looks like he is actually walking down the ladder. Or he could just jump or somehow teleport himself to the lower level, since an intellegent enemy realistically, would never turn his back to an opponent.
2) The buttons are extrememly confusing. People have already talked about this, so I'll just leave it at that.
3) The explanation in Glace City is extremely long, and at the worst possible time to explain something; when you get to a new town. Maybe cut it up into pieces and spread it out as we explore the town, but really it just got to the point where I started skipping ahead to explore the town.
4) The priest shouldn't give advice so direct as "you should probably go ask all the townsfolk", since he is under investigation. Maybe change the dialogue so it is more indirect or have something else give you that advice (I would say his followers, but I don't think they are able to do due to certain circumstances ;).
5) Would be a good idea to put a mini game or mini quest in glace since the player'll probably be getting tired of the game at this point.
6) Should be able to walk under xenogel roof to get to the doors (use swap tilesets)
The battle system is definitely good, and lag-free (Two characters using several different combos without a trace of lag... o.0 is this still rpg maker xp?). It was entertaining until I got a script error.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9052 ... hermo4.jpg[/img]
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9052 ... d5c272.jpg[/img]
It was in the first solgate dungeon, near the path that walks on air. I don't really remember what triggered it but it was probably my button mashing. Oh well, back to square one... again.
(Btw, did you see my last post?)
vvv
Neverplayd":rng730vr said:
1) There should be a speed/skip intro button, and if there is, it should be more obvious what it is.
2) After fighting the snake boss, the character north up to get to the next map, but appears at a north door walking south. Breaks the sense of realism.
3) The boy should have a seperate inventory from the woman to add more realism. Its kind of weird the boy has items that the girl collected. (Also, if you do that, maybe scatter a few rain gel for the boy to find in the mansion)

I did like some of the new additions that you don't see in many rmxp games, like the detailed poses for each move and the bathrooms. I would say more, but I got killed by that multiple arrow trap while trying to get to that treasure chest. Oh well, back to square one (But maybe put a save point there for people like me, who are silly enough to go after that chest)

Neverplayd":14413v4e said:
Ok, second playthrough, and I have a couple more things written down.
1) When the boss of the bandit cave is walking down the ladder, he should be facing up so it looks like he is actually walking down the ladder. Or he could just jump or somehow teleport himself to the lower level, since an intellegent enemy realistically, would never turn his back to an opponent.
2) The buttons are extrememly confusing. People have already talked about this, so I'll just leave it at that.
3) The explanation in Glace City is extremely long, and at the worst possible time to explain something; when you get to a new town. Maybe cut it up into pieces and spread it out as we explore the town, but really it just got to the point where I started skipping ahead to explore the town.
4) The priest shouldn't give advice so direct as "you should probably go ask all the townsfolk", since he is under investigation. Maybe change the dialogue so it is more indirect or have something else give you that advice (I would say his followers, but I don't think they are able to do due to certain circumstances ;).
5) Would be a good idea to put a mini game or mini quest in glace since the player'll probably be getting tired of the game at this point.
6) Should be able to walk under xenogel roof to get to the doors (use swap tilesets)
The battle system is definitely good, and lag-free (Two characters using several different combos without a trace of lag... o.0 is this still rpg maker xp?). It was entertaining until I got a script error.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9052 ... hermo4.jpg[/img]
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9052 ... d5c272.jpg[/img]
It was in the first solgate dungeon, near the path that walks on air. I don't really remember what triggered it but it was probably my button mashing. Oh well, back to square one... again.
(Btw, did you see my last post?)
vvv
Neverplayd":14413v4e said:

Wow, I'll look into that error.

1. Yeah, teleporting actually makes the most sense; jumping would make him look like a flash idiot. Not that he comes off as so smart to begin with. :(
2. Yeah, I tried to keep functions as simple as possible, while I'm thinking about how to make these easier, any suggestions would be welcome! The one I hate the most is the menu button.
3. Hmm, maybe coming up with some better way to do the whole introduction to town part would be cool. A different kind of puzzle/gameplay element like scrying or something to figure out what's going on would be cooler than the standard "walk around and talk to everyone" thing.
4. I had it thinking that you'd never really get the answer directly from the townspeople so he was giving that advice thinking you'd never actually figure anything out. Apparently that didn't come across. :) Maybe I can work that in with redesigning the town in general.
5. (in 3)
6. I'll see if I can do something with that; hated to do so much work for one little map, might just change the map to avoid it too.

Regarding older questions: (which I did see but am still thinking about some of)
1. Skip intro button? At first I thought you meant a way to skip the whole opening with the floating city and then talking up to the point where you first control Nera. Reading it again I'm wondering if that's what you meant?
2. I'll see if I can find a way to represent "stairs" in there. I didn't want her coming out of the bottom wall because it looked so lame like that.
3. I simply left inventory alone just to simplify things for the player. At points there are some things that always come across unrealistic. Maybe I can leave all of her equipment in her room and have him go and check there (hence getting all equipment to return to her.)

Thanks for all the thoughts!

2(new). Well, I think it is mostly just memorizing the buttons that could give people a hard time. After coming back to play a few days later, I forgot most of the buttons and had to do some trial and error. I also had to try random buttons when a second player was added to my team. I think putting something in the menu about button commands could help. (Also, for some reason, all the button explanations had the wrong buttons. For example, it said "use L to change from Freeze/Fight/Follow", but I ended up using "S", which added to the confusion).
1(old). Well, actually I was just talking about skipping the credits, but going over it again, it doesn't really seem that long, so it isn't neccessary.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.