Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are you working on? (Game Making Thread)

Trying to fix an issue in Game Maker. For some reason, this sprite just refuses to show up! I was trying to reduce the number of objects I had, but it's not turning out so well! XD

So I've finished whatever I was doing on the Map Image Maker scripts (they can save a full-sized 500x500 map now if you've got the time). What else was I doing? Ah yes, converting my plot diagram into OpenDocument format so nobody has to use Micro$oft Visio to do anything with them. Also, expanding the diagram. Some of my plot has reached the end now! (It's a branching plot so there's one ending available of several now, and I'll probably be reusing that ending as well).

I'm getting more serious about the Netplay+ 2.0 scripts. I have to say, and I'm sorry Me you did a good job and all, but this stuff is a mess. Seriously. There is no consistency with the use of Widgets and stuff, all the interface locations are hard-coded, the code is fragmented into weird chunks...but I'm going to get it all right, then you'll all see! Er...anyway, making a new interface to the Netplay functions using reworked Widgets and proper RMXP-style windows that can, hopefully, be controlled by EITHER arrow keys OR mouse.

Oh, and for any Mac users, either Parallels or VMware works better than Macdrive for having your stuff on the Mac side of your hard drive. I don't have to mess with temp folders, so the stuff should be getting properly backed up now. Haven't bought either yet, because I can't decide between the outright speed of Parallels, and the better interface and stability of VMware.

rey meustrus":1wt9fsaq said:
... this stuff is a mess. Seriously. There is no consistency with the use of Widgets and stuff, all the interface locations are hard-coded, the code is fragmented into weird chunks...but I'm going to get it all right, then you'll all see! Er...anyway, making a new interface to the Netplay functions using reworked Widgets and proper RMXP-style windows that can, hopefully, be controlled by EITHER arrow keys OR mouse...

The reason Vengeance was never finished was pretty much this. It gets worse than just the weird positioning and the widgets, there's so many small problems that cause things to go haywire if you try and solve them. I ended up spending all of my time trying to make my own system, sortof successfully, but it took forever and then I found out there were flaws with RMXP networking that meant it could never be done the way I wanted to (mainly the inability to connect to IRC using RMXP, through all the methods I tried, but that was a bit of a silly idea in the end!)

It's tricky for veterans, and extremely tricky for beginners; I'm sortof glad it's "gone" now because we don't see countless Netplay based threads in the support forums any more by people who can't even read error messages that say "x is not set to y" and wonder what they have to do. :box:

Heh, I'm in the middle of completely rewriting Widget and CG::Window. I've finished the writing stage and I'm on to the debugging stage. CG::Window works fine on its own (Contents is now a widget), but there are some strange problems I'll be working through. Not as strange as before I reworked it, though. Now, Window extends Widget, so a Window can have a Window widget. Also, widgets can be stand-alone or only display in the client area of another widget (which is like Window#contents). Once that is all fixed up right I can actually get back to debugging the changes to the networking scripts I made.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.