Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What 3D modeling software is best use for independent game developer?

There are plenty of 3D modeling tools out there. Most of them are sharewares and the rest are freewares. Some of the sharewares out there are overpriced because of the popularity. And some have a pretty fair price. But which of them you think performs almost the best that cost a reasonable price?

Some people suggested 3D Studio Max and Maya. Also, they warn me that those two cost a fortune. I tried to see for myself and what the heck!! Although Maya is currently on promo-sale that time but still, it cost 4,995 USD. What the hell is that, a treasure!?
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn16 ... _promo.gif[/img]
(the promo is still ongoing.)

Later on, I asked my mates and they recommend me the Lightwave 3D. They also give me a registered copy to try it myself but I never had it installed yet.

I want to ask for your suggestions on this.
What do you think is the best for use by an independent game developer?
Please recommend at least one.  :lol:
â–º Something that can model, animate, render, and something that doesn't need a dongle (if possible) â—„

I don't want to use that Lightwave my mates gave me.
I want to use something I paid for....  :wink:
(such a pitiful pride of mine.)

candle

Sponsor

I still say that is true except in the cases of wanting to use a prerendered background on RMXP, but VX allows panoramas now, so there really is no reason for it.  Find me one commercial game where this technique was used, and I will shut up.

candle

Sponsor

It looks 2D to me.  I don't see anywhere that 3D graphics were used.  Those images look to be on par with games like Age of Empires II, but with a better sense of scale.

Just look at the trees, and you can tell that they are not 3D.

candle

Sponsor

And I'm telling you it's not.  There is one thing it is missing.  Perspective.  3D models without perspective look very awkward and those screenshots do not, yet they don't show perspective.  You know, that little thing that makes the base of a tall building look smaller than the top when looking to the ground from on the roof?

For example, look at any 3D RTS.  It is still an isometric view as were their predecessors and Baldur's Gate, but they also show perspective.

You're 100% failing in recognizing what PRE-RENDER means. It is not rendered in real time, there is a fixed perspective because the image was created in a seperate instance, with one perspective in mind.

You're thinking this is true 3D when it's already been stated that it is not. It's a pre-rendered image. Get it?

candle

Sponsor

And yet Myst is also pre-rendered yet shows perspective.  Even the later ones where you can move the camera around.  Syberia is also pre-rendered and shows perspective.  Baldur's Gate doesn't.

Kraft

Sponsor

okay, you guys are sad ^_^

For true 3D, think of warcraft III.  Everything moves and rotates perfectly and when you move the camera the things change in perspective.  same when you ROTATE the camera, it shows the different sides of the buildings.

Pre rendered graphics would be like Diablo, or the old Age of Empires 1 and 2 games.  and starcraft come to think of it.  in starcraft you can also change the camera angles (i think... I havent played that forever ^_^) but when you rotate it it snaps to the next angle (north, south, west...etc...) and just shows each building, structure or unit as a different picture.  you can not actually see the buildings depth or anything from that view, they are just pictures.  (like RMXP charsets ^_^ think that)

If you still dont see it, look up warcraft III on youtube and compare it to RMXP in the aspect of 3D ^_^

¬Kraft

Kraft":n7yak8xb said:
okay, you guys are sad ^_^

Pre rendered graphics would be like Diablo, or the old Age of Empires 1 and 2 games.  and starcraft come to think of it. 

I've already mentioned Diablo and Starcraft, but this guy just doesn't get it.

For the record, why is it considered sad to be on the correct side of an argument? It's quite clear that I am right here, yet it's sad to advocate the truth? I don't care if that statement was a joke or not meant to be serious, it's annoying as hell.

candle

Sponsor

the problem is that they are NOT pre-rendered 3D graphics.  Just look at them.  I can't quite explain it, but there is a certain quality that all 3D models have (regardless of rendering) that those games lack.

No, they are definitely, 100% pre-rendered 3D graphics. Everyone knows this, you can ask the game developers if you want. Sorry man, it's just a blatant fact that you're denying outright for some reason that no one here can figure out why.

Kraft

Sponsor

However, the game was still marred by technical difficulties, so Bob Fitch completely redesigned the Warcraft II engine within two months to ensure that many of the features desired by the designers, such as the abilities for units to burrow and cloak, could be implemented.[39] Later improvements to the game included pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds, constructed using 3D Studio Max. An isometric in-game view was also adopted, in contrast to Warcraft II's top down perspective. In addition, the game utilised high quality music, composed by Blizzard's resident composers Glen Stafford, Jason Hayes and Derek Duke, and professional voice actors were hired.[40]

found at;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft#Development

Case closed.

Also on Baldur's Gate:

http://vault.ign.com/wiki/index.php/Bal ... ate_series

Baldur's Gate uses the Bioware Infinity Engine. The Infinity Engine is a 2D, top-down, isometric game graphics engine, which allows for the display of 16-, 24-, or 32-bit non-tiled, prerendered art, and includes features such as a clipping map for foreground effects, animated background tiles, search maps, 3D height maps, and luminosity maps.

Seriously guy, just quit while you're ahead.

candle

Sponsor

Kraft":35toz29a said:
However, the game was still marred by technical difficulties, so Bob Fitch completely redesigned the Warcraft II engine within two months to ensure that many of the features desired by the designers, such as the abilities for units to burrow and cloak, could be implemented.[39] Later improvements to the game included pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds, constructed using 3D Studio Max. An isometric in-game view was also adopted, in contrast to Warcraft II's top down perspective. In addition, the game utilised high quality music, composed by Blizzard's resident composers Glen Stafford, Jason Hayes and Derek Duke, and professional voice actors were hired.[40]

found at;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft#Development

Case closed.

Since when can we trust Wiki.  Also, I don't care what it says, if you look closely, you can tell that they are not 3D models.

rexxzecutioner":35toz29a said:
Also on Baldur's Gate:

http://vault.ign.com/wiki/index.php/Bal ... ate_series

Baldur's Gate uses the Bioware Infinity Engine. The Infinity Engine is a 2D, top-down, isometric game graphics engine, which allows for the display of 16-, 24-, or 32-bit non-tiled, prerendered art, and includes features such as a clipping map for foreground effects, animated background tiles, search maps, 3D height maps, and luminosity maps.

Seriously guy, just quit while you're ahead.

Same for you.  Also, not once do I see any thing about 3D graphics.  3D height maps and pre-rendered art (not implicitly 3D), yes, but nothing of 3D graphics. 

Again, look closely.  There is a certain something, a certain shine, these things lack that all 3D models - pre-rendered or not - have.  I think it has something to do with the lighting, but I'm not sure

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.