Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Wang tiles

Hopefully this is the right forum for this...

It's always irritated me that when you have a tile for a texture (eg. grass), no matter how you make it, it's very obvious that it's a single tile because repetitive patterns emerge.

A tile from a grass pattern I threw together using Photoshop. Ignore the edges of the water autotile -- I know they don't match. That's something I want to work on later when I'm farther along on the grass.

grass1.png

I was reading about Wang tiles (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/cohen/wangfinal.pdf). I implemented a small program that would allow me, through the Windows Clipboard, lay out boards with Wang tiles in RPG XP. (*If there is a different practical way to change tiles on the board programmatically during the editing process, I missed it -- let me know.) I made some sets of tiles -- 8, 12, and 18 -- in Photoshop. The results have artifacts, some of which I could make less obvious by editing the tiles, but I found them more pleasing than just using 1 tile.

8 tiles:
grass8.png

12 tiles:
grass12.png

18 tiles:
grass18.png

Has anyone here worked with Wang tiles before, and what has been your experience? The paper mentions generating tile sets automatically from source images -- does anyone know of any programs that do that?

Also, does anyone has any interest in putting this to use? I can share the program I made to put tiles into boards in RPG XP, but I would need to clean up the interface a little if anyone besides me is going to use it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.