Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Walking NPCs

Whats the trick to getting NPCs to walk around the village?  ive tried useing both the autonomous/custom movement and setting the path though the set move route, but they still won't move!  ive been forum dredging on dialup for the last several hours and i havent found any tutorials.  if anyone knows where one is, that would be awesome : )

Are you sure your NPCs aren't located in/on/near impassable tiles? That would stop them from moving unless you specify them as being "through" events. Other than that, maybe you just didn't want long enough :P
If you increase the frequency of movement, they'll move more often. At the standard frequency it takes like 5 seconds for them to start moving XD

-Are there any conditions that the page you want is not meeting? (Conditions on the page or other pages that are higher than it.)
-Are there any other events that have moving commands aimed at the said npcs? (They might over-ride them.)
-(Just in case) You did switch movement type to other than "Fixed", right? (And on a similar note, if you did "Custom Movement" with the event commands inside the actual eventing panel, then you'd need parallel processing to have them running. But that's not the right way of doing movement anyway.)

Try turning on Through and see if there's difference.

Instead of using that, use either "random movement" in the autonomous movement option OR use "custom moveroute" in the autonomous movement option
If you use the latter make sure you click the "move route" button right under the autonomous movement button, and give the NPC a moveroute

grr, just when i think im getting the hang of eventing, i find another obsticle.

i want my npc to move around and then talk when the action button is used on them.

so i set up 2 pages, the second one is on a parallel process and has the movement set to random.  that part works fine
page one has an action button trigger with a text command and a stop movement command. 

ive tried useing the conditional branch, where the action button is true and the random movement is false, but i just cant get anything to work.

Page 1
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3254/2804718385_3c5f1f972e_m.jpg[/img]
Page 2
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/2804718731_269f0382e8_m.jpg[/img]

im going to need to get more complicated and make it turn off the random movement arent i?

@ Unka Josh - so it dosnt need to be on a parallel process?

Page 2 does not have to be a parallel process. And if you ever want page 1 to happen, set a switch condition for EITHER page 1 or 2 and make the switch turn on somewhere to switch pages

No, because that's not a condition for the event to run. The "action button" trigger simply means that the currently active event page will execute whatever command are in it.

This would be a good time to work out how all the Conditions for activating an event work-- Autorun stops the player and runs automatically, Parallel Process the same without stopping the player, both will cycle forever if you don't stop them.  Action Button means the player going up to the event and pushing the button.  Player Touch means the player moving into the event.  Event Touch means the event touches the player, even if the player is holding still.

An event's motion, as I said before, really, truly will happen regardless of what the event's other settings are.  Trust me on this one.  Or try it for yourself. 

(This means that if you want to do a dramatic freeze-frame, you'll need to tell all those random townspeople to stop moving, BTW.  Came up in a cutscene in a project of mine...)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.