Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

VX Dash System in XP - No Scripting

RMVX Dash System in RMXP
Without Scripting

Yes, the RMVX dash system in RMXP! This topic is split into two sections, the "Simple Guide" and the "Detailed Guide". The Simple Guide quickly explains how to set everything up while the Detailed Guide explains nearly every detail on what to do.
Please choose a Guide to start:

Okay, create a common event. Make it Parallel Process and create a Switch for it. Inside it place a Conditional Branch. Click on "The [Insert Key Here] button is being pressed". Inside your Conditional Branch, use the "Set Move Route" and click on Change Speed. Choose the speed you want the play to go to. Then click OK. In the "Else" section of the Conditional Branch, do the same, but with the Player's normal speed. The Conditional Branch is now done. Click OK to return to the program. Go to the Player's starting map, and create a Event. Make it Parallel Process. Inside the Event, turn the Switch that was made earlier on. Click OK then save your project and then Playtest it. Good luck.

I. Preparing a Common Event:
First let's create a Common Event. To do that, go to Database or press F9.
vxdashsystemtutorialpic.png

Click on the tab Common Events.

Okay, now click on a slot and give your common event a name. Make it a Parallel event. Now click on the little arrow pointing right, which is under Condition Switch. A new window will pop up. Just click on an empty slot and give the switch a name then click OK.

II. Creating Conditional Branches:
Create a Conditional Branch in the first tab of the Event Commands.

Now goto tab number 4. Check Button. Now click on the drop down list. There you will find some buttons. We will use A for now which is Shift on the keyboard. So just click OK now.

Now there will be a Conditional Branch which should say "The A button is being pressed" and "Else".

Now we create a Event Command in "The A button is being pressed". It will be Set Move Route which is located in tab 2 in the Event Commands window.

A new window will pop up. At the top left of that window select Player from the drop down bar. Now click on Change Speed. Choose a speed level. I'll be using speed level 5: Faster for this tutorial. Once you've chose your speed level, click OK to return to the Common Event window.

Now under Else, we will make a new Set Move Route. Select Player again and click on Change Speed. Choose the Player's normal speed level which is 4: Fast.

Now your event should be complete and look like this:

III. Inserting the Dash System in a Map:
Now click OK to finish the event and close the Database window. You'll now be brought to your map. There, you must goto Events, which is the blue cube near the Layers.
vxdashsystemtutorialpicr.png

Now choose anywhere on your map and create an event. Give it a name, I called it VX Dash System. In the trigger section, choose Parallel Process.

Now create an Event Command. In the first tab, click on Control Switches. Where is says Single, click on the arrow pointing right. Choose the switch we made earlier, then click OK. Your event is now done.
vxdashsystemtutorialpick.png

Click OK to return to your map. Save your project and then Playtest.

1) Be sure to enable the Dash System on the map that the Player starts on.

2) If for any reason, there is a map that you do not want the Player to be able to run on, disable the System. Make sure to enable it on any maps connected to it that you want to be able to run on.

3) You can make it look like the Player is actually running if you have a graphic of it. Just click on "Change Graphic" in the "Set Move Route" window. On the event where the Player stops dashing, make sure to change the graphic back to normal.

There's something wrong with the coding above. Just try to ignore it until it's fixed, thanks.

No credit is needed.
Thanks for reading.

Next Tutorial: Cheat System (Without Scripting!). =D

~Bwai

Instead of parallel process in the last event, use 'Auto run' and once you turn the switch ON, use 'Erase event' command. Like Darth j said, you only need one event, in the starting map.

Zeriab

Sponsor

It should be noted that when the Dash system is activated it overrides other move routes for the player (longer than 1 move).
It keeps changing the players speed instead of when only doing it when the player press the button down or release it.
If you don't want it to affect other move routes then you can use script calls:
dash.png

First script call:
[rgss]str = '@move_speed = 5'
$game_player.instance_eval(str)
[/rgss]

Second script call:
[rgss]str = '@move_speed = 4'
[/rgss]

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Ravenis":2o7udjp9 said:
Thank you for this! :)
No problem. =D
dark pank":2o7udjp9 said:
how i can do that in netplay 1.7? :p
Um... Netplay? What's that?
Darth J":2o7udjp9 said:
The switch can be turned on at the start of the game not on every map.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. =D However, if there's a map that has dashing disabled, you should have it enabled on any map connected to it.
silver wind":2o7udjp9 said:
Instead of parallel process in the last event, use 'Auto run' and once you turn the switch ON, use 'Erase event' command. Like Darth j said, you only need one event, in the starting map.
Normally, the game would freeze if you used Auto Run. Auto Run is usually used for text events.
surengin":2o7udjp9 said:
Thatnk you Black :) I own ya :)
You're welcome. =D
Zeriab":2o7udjp9 said:
It should be noted that when the Dash system is activated it overrides other move routes for the player (longer than 1 move).
It keeps changing the players speed instead of when only doing it when the player press the button down or release it.
If you don't want it to affect other move routes then you can use script calls:
dash.png

First script call:
[rgss]str = '@move_speed = 5'
[/rgss]

Second script call:
[rgss]str = '@move_speed = 4'
[/rgss]

*hugs*
- Zeriab
Huh? What do you mean?

Update: I will be splitting the first post into two sections, the "Simple Guide" and the "Detailed Guide".

~Bwai

Zeriab

Sponsor

Try creating an NPC which makes the player move around a bit (set move route) when talked to.
Talk to the NPC both with the dash system activated and with it deactivated.

Zeriab":1sigvpwp said:
Try creating an NPC which makes the player move around a bit (set move route) when talked to.
Talk to the NPC both with the dash system activated and with it deactivated.
If you mean by using an event that moves the Player with Set Move Route, whilst the VX Dash System is activated, yes, it will effect the Player's speed. However, if you change the Player's speed for a Set Move Route to 4, it's original speed, the Player should be fine. I've tested it, too.

I'm pretty sure that's what you meant. If not, please feel free to correct me.

~Bwai

Zeriab

Sponsor

It wasn't. It is not about speed. It's about move routes being cut short. It is something to keep in mind when using your system. I suggest that you mention the potential issue.
Since you seem to still be somewhat new to eventing I suggest reading these eventing points.

*hugs*

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.