Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Tuna: Java Wars [37/100 Hours]

Tuna

Awesome Bro

info.png

I've been working on this project for a while but have been putting it off as of late, so this will be a great excuse to get back to work! My project is a remake of Advance Wars in Java. I've put a lot of work into this project already, but it's still nowhere near completion.

At the moment, the game is using ripped graphics for the unit sprites and the tile graphics are scaled up from kain's custom tileset. Everything else (what little of it there is) is created by me. This is a solo project, so all of the coding is also my own.

screenshots1.png

Here's are some screenshots of my latest progress as of 11/20:
mapselect.png

mapscreen1.png

mapscreen2.png

mapscreen3.png

features2.png

As of 11/20, almost all of the game's original battle features are implemented with the exception of CO Powers (not sure how I'm going to spin these off), unit joining, and enemy AI. The game will play locally on the same machine with two human players sharing the same keyboard.

Here is a rough list of the game's current features:

-Map selection menu
-Unit action menu, factory unit creation menu, main menu (working features are Quit and End Turn)
-Unit movement ranges (including attackable enemies) accomplished through a flood-fill algorithm
-Shortest path finding (jumps to tiles within a unit's move range but not reachable through the current path) accomplished through Dijkstra's algorithm
-Unit movement, capturing, and attacking
-Current working units include: Infantry, Mech, Tank
-Current functioning properties include: HQ, City, Factory

goals.png

As of 11/20, my goals include:

-Add sound effects
-Implement AI
-Add additional unit functionality including joining of damaged units, transportation of units (via APC or boat), functionality for ranged units, and alternate ammo types (e.g. mech units won't attack infantry units with bazookas)

download.png

Here is a link to the latest version of Java Wars. It currently runs from a .jar file. Instructions are below:

Up/Down/Left/Right: Move cursor
S/Space: Confirm
A/Esc: Cancel
Enter: Main Menu

Your goal: Destroy all of the enemy's units or capture the enemy's HQ!

Download link: http://bb.xieke.com/files/15/jwars.jar

If you find any bugs, please feel free to post them here, send me a PM, or contact me on #hbgames!

questions.png

Any questions or comments about my project are graciously accepted!

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Restructuring is complete. Still have to bugtest it all to make sure everything made it through. Accomplished a lot today.

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Refactored the code even more. Finally got around to adding a Player class and have moved a lot of methods to my TileActions and UnitActions classes to make references more tidy. All of the bugs I created in the overhaul are worked out (to the best of my knowledge) and I'm ready to move on to implementing the Attack unit command. I won't be able to work on this very much tomorrow, but if I do it will probably be more tweaking instead of diving right into getting the Attack command working.

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Sorry, I was too busy interviewing for a new job. (I got it.)
I'll be gone for most of today, too, so I'll have to catch up over the rest of the weekend.

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Put about 5 and a half hours into it today. The game will officially work locally between two players (though there a few bugs that need fixing.) Next step is to fix these bugs and maybe add a main menu where you can choose between different maps. Later on I'd like to implement some audio to really make the game pop. :biggrin:

Tuna

Awesome Bro

All reported bugs in the local 2P are fixed, and you now have the option to select 1 of 6 maps when starting the game. You can get back to this section by quitting from the main menu. I'm going to go ahead and release add a link to the latest version of Java Wars to this thread in case anyone stumbles across it and feels like playing. Check the first post for a link.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.