Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content To Anywhere

Dead content awaiting restoration.
TA1.png

TA2.png

TA3-1.png

TA3-1-1.png

TA6.png

TA4-1.png

TA42.png

TA43.png

TA44.png

TA45.png

Ta5.png

Tihs gme scks, brtr gpx plz..

No really, this looks good. If I could suggest adjusting the inline frame for the game, it seems distracting and cuts off battle text in the boxes with the big crystal thingy.

mawk

Sponsor

JJAnnem, try right-clicking the font files included in the game folder and hitting Install. This will copy them to your Fonts folder, and your computer will be able to display them.

Alright, so I've played through the intro and made it through to the first (second?) dungeon. So far, I'm pretty impressed with your mapping and execution of cutscenes, as well as the puzzle-game aspect. Until I figured out that I had to press D, I was getting pretty annoyed with myself as I frantically searched around the island looking for something like a flashlight -- since I hadn't been automatically prompted to throw the rope. Once I got it into my head, though, I had to admit that it was a very good design choice, especially since you're making most of the decisions for the character anyway so it makes sense to tell him he's gotta use the X on the X to get X.

One thing, though, is the difficulty level. The enemies are pretty vicious when it's just you on your own, and I wound up cutting through the bulk of my supply of Salves within the course of a battle or two, since damage and (if I'm feelin' really lucky) poison would whittle it down to the yellow within two turns. I suppose this means I should grind more near the entrance of the dungeon, resurfacing every now and again to buy Salves, so I probably won't have such a big problem with the difficulty once I get into the rhythm -- I'm used to tanking through hordes of bad dudes in Final Fantasy, so a paradigm shift might be in order. Still, grinding no me gusta mucho.

Axerax":2jki5t0z said:
Tihs gme scks, brtr gpx plz..

No really, this looks good. If I could suggest adjusting the inline frame for the game, it seems distracting and cuts off battle text in the boxes with the big crystal thingy.

Those don't show up in the game, it's just to look pretty for the screenshots.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie":2jki5t0z said:
JJAnnem, try right-clicking the font files included in the game folder and hitting Install. This will copy them to your Fonts folder, and your computer will be able to display them.

Alright, so I've played through the intro and made it through to the first (second?) dungeon. So far, I'm pretty impressed with your mapping and execution of cutscenes, as well as the puzzle-game aspect. Until I figured out that I had to press D, I was getting pretty annoyed with myself as I frantically searched around the island looking for something like a flashlight -- since I hadn't been automatically prompted to throw the rope. Once I got it into my head, though, I had to admit that it was a very good design choice, especially since you're making most of the decisions for the character anyway so it makes sense to tell him he's gotta use the X on the X to get X.

One thing, though, is the difficulty level. The enemies are pretty vicious when it's just you on your own, and I wound up cutting through the bulk of my supply of Salves within the course of a battle or two, since damage and (if I'm feelin' really lucky) poison would whittle it down to the yellow within two turns. I suppose this means I should grind more near the entrance of the dungeon, resurfacing every now and again to buy Salves, so I probably won't have such a big problem with the difficulty once I get into the rhythm -- I'm used to tanking through hordes of bad dudes in Final Fantasy, so a paradigm shift might be in order. Still, grinding no me gusta mucho.

Thank you SO MUCH for explaining the font thing.

I understand it can be disorienting at first , since not a lot of games use this kind of item selection to interact with the environment. I think I should maybe put up a more thorough tutorial, although there are quite a number of obvious hints in there already (The hooded man heading into the well, a note in the cabin that justs says "USE FIELD ITEMS! PRESS A!".

About the difficulty. I'm a little surprises to hear that, since I lowered the stats of the enemy before release. Since you're saying your HP goes down quickly, I assume you're playing with one of the two magic-users. Here are some tips:
-Buy new armor at the armor shop
-Raid the villager's houses for money
-Buy lots of salve
-Head to the north of Castonbury, behind the house with a blue roof and play the kid's Eye Spy game for extra items
-Pummel the enemies with magic

BrunoTR":2jki5t0z said:
Very nice game, Doc. My one gripe is that there aren't nearly enough savepoints.

I will take that into mind. Where do you think there should be a savepoint and there wasn't?

Before I forget, if you chooses out the option to "look for Zara" instead of "look for Mathias", the next quest is slightly easier in terms of battle, but harder in terms of puzzle.

Alright, here's what you could do.

Select all 6 fonts included in the folder and copy them to the following folder: C:/Windows/Fonts

That should do the trick.

Is this a demo or full game? I looked through the project thread but didn't see any information on whether it was a demo or not.

It's looking good. One thing is bothering me though.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/Crystalgate/Screenies/Anywherestop.jpg[/img]
It looks like I should be able to pass that point, but I'm not. It feels very unintuitive that the roof should block my path.

Well, if that's the worse thing you can find, I must be doing ok.

I thought I did make that tile passable though... I must've made an error. I'm using the "ultimate" tilesets so after a few minutes of setting passabilities your finger just starts to click around at random.

Any other comments, though? Did you manage to pass through the small dungeon under the well alright?

Yes, I had no problem passing through that dungeon.

Anyway, I did twice get a stack level to deep error. In both cases that was by pressing F12, loading a game and then casting the first earth spell.

As for the story so far:
You did get me curious about the main character's background and I liked the first part. It felt so bizarre and really carried the sense that something was wrong.

I probably post more once I've finished the demo.

Really? This is quite disturbing, I've never encountered this error myself, but Juno did too... was it at line 635 too? I'll need to have a look at it.

Anyone knows what Stack level too deep mean, anyway?

F12 crashing game with the stack too deep bug is a common glitch with quite a lot of scripts. MotW had it too I believe, and so did I when I tried to use an anti-lag script. I remember seeing a script that disables F12 as a semi-solution to it a while back.

Thanks for info, Reives.

Alright everyone, DO NOT USE F12. If you must reset/quit, do it from the menu. In the meanwhile, I will be looking for the legendary "F12 disabling" script.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.