Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Thinking about making a Tutorial...

Would you use an installer if it was made easy?

• yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
ive been thinking about making a tutorial on how to make installers for games, its pretty easy to do, plus i have a config file that ive made over the last 3 years that has all the glitches worked out of it ;)

the thing is, would anyone use it? im more then willing to put the work in, but would anyone actully use it?

Eventing_Guy

Awesome Bro

I supose even if no one says anything, It might be benificial to someone in the future.

I think I saw a thread asking for something like this.

- Somewhere

I voted "YES"... :biggrin:

thanks for the replys guys, I hope more people feel like you, when i recomend people make installers i tend to get negative results saying zip is faster or some other lame reason IMO lol

moog

Sponsor

If it is going to make things easier, then just go for it dude. Also, check where you post topics next time, so it fits in a better place than GD (itll just get spammed up)

It is pretty easy to make an installer, if you want to make it uber pretty it requires a little more work, but for the most part its pretty easy.

Things ive learned though: make sure your uninstaller doesnt remove rgss102e.dll lol, be careful with update installers removing files you still needed(caused by typo to be fair), other small things i will point out in the tut if i make it

edit: here are the subjects i was thinking about covering, did i forget anything?
Basic(All Basic include Licence, install fonts, and Read me):
How to make an installer using the rtp(without rtp installed on users computer)
How to make an installer using the rtp(with the rtp installed on the users computer)
How to make an installer using your own custom graphics
How to make an update installer for any of the above installers
How to make your own rtp installer (amazing for making resource packs)
How to make your own installer using your own rtp
Advanced:
Making your installer pretty
Custom setup types(eg: Full, Typical, Custom)
Multi-Language support
Passworded and Encyrpted installs
Digitally Signed Installs
Silent install
create shortcut for game on quick launch bar
Making backups before replacing files

yes i have lol, i just hope it doesnt take mroe then a week, im trying to make it pretty and idiot freindly (rofl as if thats possible) since im gonna make all my config files available for download all people should have to do change the paths (if thats too hard then they need more help then i can offer)

One thing is, I don't really see the use for an installer. It might be pretty, but if you compress a rmxp game and upload it, won't it be super easy for someone to just extract it and it being ready to play? I might miss something though

there are benefits like fonts always working, more options are far as control like custom encryption, using Reg keys to verify game is a valid copy, eta

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.