Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Screenshot Thread 2

You know, it feels kind of weird knowing I made every sprite in these pictures:

kbUWn3Q.png

nV5Wt9T.png

That looks a lot better than my own personal project that I did all the art for myself.

On the note of screenshots / video game presentation, first pass of the Fantasia demo trailer is ready. Later on it will be filled with more voices than just mine, this is essentially a concept and expression guideline trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NsTygVu4JI

BizarreMonkey":3rz8wt88 said:
On the note of screenshots / video game presentation, first pass of the Fantasia demo trailer is ready. Later on it will be filled with more oices than just mine, this is essentally a concept and expressional guideline trailer.

I am just starting on our trailer. Even laying it out conceptually is quite a task. Fun, but intimidating. You know, you want to put the best foot forward, but don't want to spoil the best parts.

Oh, this is the screenshot thread. Well, um. Have a screenshot.

naMcOAf.png

never seen anything like it, am i right?

what's that now? the other guy beat me to it? :sadface:
needless to say, it's a team project. go team!

those gorgeous pixels are mostly Glitchfinder's work. my artistic contributions are more of what you don't see.
i can't wait to do a postmortem on some of the cool stuff behind the scenes, we're having a lot of fun with this project.

i made a tilemapping application at one point and yeah its a pretty wild feeling leaning back and realising all the graphics, including the software itself, is all your work

that screenshot is inspiring as fuck though
maybe thats what i need to make
and ill make it on vita hmmMMMMM

You know, technically, theory and I have been working on this project for a long time. One of the earliest things we implemented even got featured in the ezine at some point, though I can't find the specific issue. I just remember I uploaded this video sometime in 2014 to demonstrate the visual effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIJ_heRok28

Oh, right. It's aphadeon now, not theory. And that project is still in RPG Maker, technically.

ZenVirZan":3k6l1asi said:
that screenshot is inspiring as fuck though

What's that? Moar, you say?

So... Speaking of having fun with this...

63XapRi.png

But this is the screenshot thread, so I digress. Have another:
4fP85GM.png

that akward moment when i realize there's a mouse in my meme...

im thinkin visual equips are the way to go, due to my lack of animation ability
Pj6vOGK.png

greatsword (both), sword (right) & shield (left), katana (right) & sword (left), spear (both), halberd (both), scythe (both)
similar to how terrarria does it, im planning for hair style & color, top and bottom clothing color and skin color to all be set in character creator

EDIT: A set of generic enemies (left) and boss monsters (right)
sRBOo98.png
vtwDMPw.png

EDIT2: oh gotta get some skelebros in here
TtQxHUi.png

EDIT3: oh gotta have a cheeky bowboi
skj2g6F.png

ZenVirZan":w9attiio said:
similar to how terrarria does it, im planning for hair style & color, top and bottom clothing color and skin color to all be set in character creator

love it. especially the boss. got a prototype working yet? or just art assets?

aphadeon":35c4tq1h said:
ZenVirZan":35c4tq1h said:

love it. especially the boss. got a prototype working yet? or just art assets?
all ive done so far is rip out the paint.net and scribble some assets. not sure what im going to use for development just yet.

currently considering either SDL2 in C++ or LibGDX in Java

EDIT: heres a map using tiles i just whipped up, no where near as visually consistent as yours tho
oLoLqnx.png

EDIT2: a less-shit map
s5eoCQD.png

EDIT3: the map im gunna use for drafting menus and UIs, as its the correct pixel resolution & aspect ratio for the final product
FsjjhTd.png

EDIT4: defend, choose and attack screens - mockups only
aoFPmI4.png

BsWodMs.gif

C1Mg7Wx.png

ZenVirZan":1kop72y4 said:
Go for the easier option. I will say that SDL2 leaves open the door for future ports to platforms that do not have a Java VM (game consoles, even weird shit like GameBoy Advanced and web-platforms via Emscripten). Both your options get you covered for all the desktop platforms and have potential for mobile platforms. It's much easier to write SDL2 bindings for a new platform (if someone hasn't already done it) than it is to port a Java VM to a new platform and also write LibGDX bindings for that platform.

SDL, being C/C++, leaves a much easier mechanism in place for platform-specific features; with Java you'd have to write bindings for all this crap too.

ZenVirZan":3f6xqt8y said:
all ive done so far is rip out the paint.net and scribble some assets. not sure what im going to use for development just yet.

I would say go with whatever you have the most experience with. From my, well, experience, experience itself makes the biggest difference. But, as Xilef stated, it's also a large question of portability and target platforms. And he's totally right about SDL2 being more portable - you can find it or something similar to it on almost anything with a screen.

EDIT: heres a map using tiles i just whipped up, no where near as visually consistent as yours tho
oLoLqnx.png
Our visual consistency is actually a convenient byproduct of some self-imposed rules. We want to do more with less, so things like palette colors, tile count, everything is carefully restricted. Also, your general tile designs look vaguely familiar somehow. :p

EDIT2: a less-shit map
s5eoCQD.png
Visibility system. I commented in the other thread, these can easily become a handful if you are picky about it. I'm a fan of them, and they're rather underutilized.

EDIT3: the map im gunna use for drafting menus and UIs, as its the correct pixel resolution & aspect ratio for the final product
FsjjhTd.png
I feel like you might live to regret having your screen boundary on a half-tile. But hopefully not.

EDIT4: defend, choose and attack screens - mockups only
aoFPmI4.png

BsWodMs.gif

C1Mg7Wx.png
mind = blown

aphadeon":230tgklq said:
Our visual consistency is actually a convenient byproduct of some self-imposed rules. We want to do more with less, so things like palette colors, tile count, everything is carefully restricted. Also, your general tile designs look vaguely familiar somehow. :p
yeah ive been sticking to a 512-color palette i found. similarities?
no idea :^)

Visibility system. I commented in the other thread, these can easily become a handful if you are picky about it. I'm a fan of them, and they're rather underutilized.
absolutely

I feel like you might live to regret having your screen boundary on a half-tile. But hopefully not.
yeah, i noticed that but it shouldn't affect gameplay too much

mind = blown
:cheers:

Xlief":230tgklq said:
Go for the easier option. I will say that SDL2 leaves open the door for future ports to platforms that do not have a Java VM (game consoles, even weird shit like GameBoy Advanced and web-platforms via Emscripten).
yeah ive chosen to go with sdl2 for exactly that reason, i built a basic framework a few weeks ago but now im trying to run it on windows and getting some crazy invalid texture issues. i think it might be compiler problems cus i cant see any issue with the code :mad:

the c++ practice will do me good.

Result of today's work;

The project I'm currently working towards will feature limited 3D objects (treasure chests, developer commentary bubble). This is the software renderer, which will more than likely be used for a solid chunk of web/mobile clients. Hardware acceleration is up next.

It's tough to optimise canvas 2d rendering with MV, even the default game runs slowly in canvas. I've done some crazy stuff like recycle the triangles that are used for rendering and have a BSP tree for triangle Z sorting to avoid having to do an expensive qsort algorithm (even the nodes on the BSP tree are recycled). Can tidy up the vector/matrix storage a bit, but the biggest performance killer is the actual rendering of the triangles. Selphie here pushes the frame-time up to 10 milliseconds (!!!) on my 4.1GHz development machine. Models my project will use won't be nearly as complex as this, though (She's a whopping 886 triangles).

Xilef":zg4e6u8k said:
The project I'm currently working towards will feature limited 3D objects (treasure chests, developer commentary bubble). This is the software renderer, which will more than likely be used for a solid chunk of web/mobile clients. Hardware acceleration is up next.

It's tough to optimise canvas 2d rendering with MV, even the default game runs slowly in canvas. I've done some crazy stuff like recycle the triangles that are used for rendering and have a BSP tree for triangle Z sorting to avoid having to do an expensive qsort algorithm (even the nodes on the BSP tree are recycled). Can tidy up the vector/matrix storage a bit, but the biggest performance killer is the actual rendering of the triangles. Selphie here pushes the frame-time up to 10 milliseconds (!!!) on my 4.1GHz development machine. Models my project will use won't be nearly as complex as this, though (She's a whopping 886 triangles).

And here theory and I are still working in RMXP. To be fair, the game doesn't play using RMXP. (It actually plays using a 100% custom OpenGL runtime that basically acts as an SDL emulator. That was a real trick to make.)

Also, by the time we're done, it won't even use Ruby anymore. But the project itself is an RPG Maker XP project.

finally implemented highlighting, disabling, and icon attachments
9nTIfIG.png

EDIT: tilemap rendering lives
i hope theres no memory leaks lul
iIUHyNJ.png

Completed hardware acceleration. It's ridiculous how slow canvas 2D is in comparison.

Testing out having 3D models for events.
9kLBfAz.png

This isn't rendering 3D models to the map; the event literally has a sprite attached to it which holds the 3D scene in its own tiny little canvas. Means I can do things like animate a model without having to redraw the entire screen (very handy for the slow canvas 2D).

I think it looks alright. Certainly workable for my needs. These are essentially static sprites rendered on the fly, they'll look best when they're animating (chests opening, interaction bubble spinning).

ZenVirZan: You should look up visual leak detector, a very handy tool.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.