Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Quick Ideas/Concepts Thread

Bacon: It's a neat concept, definitely not something you see alot. I like your mission ideas, too - there's a lot of possibility for variation. However, if you were to go ahead and try to develop an idea like that, you'd have to make sure that the player feels a sufficient sense of satisfaction, the feeling that the stuff they do when they play matters in the scope of the game's world. Games like the "young individuals saving the world" are so popular because our lives are so average and mundane. We want to feel like we're doing something that matters in the game. After all, the best games contain the right mix of immersion and gameplay, and although I don't think gameplay would be much of a problem, keep in mind that the player should always feel like what they're doing is important.

Also, I could totally see an opportunity for some awesome character development and side stories that go on in the game. It'd actually be a great opportunity for the player to be able to sympathize with the main character. Something like him having family problems at home, coping with not having any fame, dealing with being underpaid, etc.

A game where you have to chat online with someone for the longest ammount of time to win. If messages per minute drop to near-zero it's game over.
All in an interactive virtual house to help conversations in the game.

I'll need to work on this idea if I want to roll with it. Originally I was thinking a grandmother's teaparty, but perhaps character customisation would be useful in this type of game, so making it open would be good.

hmm...

Lairon

Just want to run this by. These are a few of the features I'd like to incorporate in the RPG I am currently writing. The RPG does not revolve around saving the world or anything like that, but I expect people to find the situation rather lethal and important, at least to the player character. Since this is my first true project, I am not making it so long that I will get overwhelmed. For all the time it takes to complete the game however, I am going to make sure it is packed with worthwhile content.

I dislike grinding so the player will not have to train for hours to beat x boss.

The story will involve difficult questions of morality and duty. It will also have an element of religion and politics, and possibly sexuality as well.
Male or Female
This game allows for the player to play as either a male or female character. The sex of the player character most significantly changes what romance options are available. Other than that, there will be some minor dialogue changes, but nothing truly major. The PC's name will be decided by the player.
Decisions
This game allows for the player to make decisions through dialogue or direct actions. These decisions will influence the plot.
Morality
This game allows for the player to make moral decisions, but there is no linear meter tracking the moral outlook of the player character. Therefore, NPC's will react to the PC based upon individual decisions or a conglomerate thereof. If an NPC believes the PC has been consistently merciless, for example, they may react differently than if they believed the PC has been merciful.
Romance
This game allows for a romance subplot to develop between the player and one or more NPC's. Romance is entirely optional and is available for both male and female PC's. There may be consequences for developing romance with two or more NPC's. Romances may be terminated or suspended upon the player's decisions or the whim of the NPC.
Friendship
This game also allows for players to become friends with NPC's without being romantically involved with them. Friendship is entirely optional and is available for male and female PC's. There may be consequences for developing friendship with one or more NPC's. Friendships may be terminated or suspended upon the player's decisions or the whim of the NPC.
Approval
This game allows for NPC's to approve of the player character's decisions. Approval may lead to friendship, romance, trust, respect, loyalty, and other consequences. Approval and its associated effects may result in new sidequests. Although the amount of approval the player has with an NPC will not be shown to them, they will be able to infer it generally from the NPC reacts to the PC.
Disapproval
This game allows for NPC's to disapprove of the player character's decisions. Disapproval may lead to hatred, disgust, distrust, disrespect, betrayal, and other consequences. Disapproval and its associated effects may result in new sidequests. Although the amount of disapproval the player has with an NPC will not be shown to them, they will be able to infer it generally from the NPC reacts to the PC.
Companions
The companions are of various backgrounds, opinions, and personality. Often they will clash and disagree with each other. In some cases, it is possible for the PC to act as the mediator, but it is also possible for them to inspire rebellion as well. Characters do not fit nicely into "bad/evil" and "good," but will hopefully be morally ambiguous.
Endings
This game allows for multiple endings. Endings are the result of the various decisions the player character has made. There are no "bad" endings.

Heavily inspired by Bioware, no doubt. Although I am going to add my own touches to it. Ideally, one can play as themselves, which I will recommend upon completing the game, and still get desirable results.

Hanna-Barbera RPG idea.

Why? Hanna Barbera is perfect for a game, and why should Disney get all the love? Give HB characters like Yogi Bear, Fred Flintstone and Scooby-Doo the "Kingdom Hearts" treatment(But, instead of emo bullshit, make a game with an actual sense of humor) Maybe it could be something bigger like "Hanna Barbera vs. Capcom" or something silly like that. I don't know.

I've been thinking about making and RPG that only has battles. There would be no exploration or towns or any of that, just battles. There would be a menu showing all of the fights you can engage in. The more you win, the more battles you unlock. I've never seen a game on this site that only has combat and nothing else, so I'm worried that games like this are unpopular for some reason.

The only issue I would see with this is the fact that you would have to make battles fun. There would also need to be a sense of improvement and progression. The battle system would also have to be intuitive and fun. The typical battle system would not cut it here, which means battling would have to be almost flawless imo. o:

Only game ever like that I've seen is commercial and it's Shadow of Colossus.
Anyhow, I went to this thread to post an unique and good game idea, something along the lines of an RPG.

The RPG's main setting is on a fictional planet with many regions, a few of them named Caldonia and Arcero. It's fantasy and the main backdrop is about an ancient perished civilization named the Alpha Phi. The Alpha Phi had a development of technology similar to the Mayans but they where far more advanced that other civilizations around them; for they had skills in magic (they could heal wounds, bring the dead back to life [Ala, your cliche Revive spell]), vast knowledge in machina (powerful mechs that had no control panels...instead controlled by the mind), and powerful spiritual connections (A place called the Etheral Plane which is like FFX's Farplane and celestial creatures called Hidden Beasts summoned via enchanted stones called Glyphs). However, the civilization fell to their technological greed and many texts in the ruins mention...a god of destruction and chaos?

The game is set 300 years after the fall of this mighty civilization. Situated west of the ruins is a large metropolis city named Perdia controlled by a totalitarian government not unlike Star Wars' and FFXII's The Empire. Legends say...that you could control the god of destruction and chaos, which is the ultimate Hidden Beast but was exiled because of it's power...think of what power you have if you controlled...Galspar. Not to mention, this government has suspiciously found a way to summon Hidden Beasts using artificial Glyphs...but the Glyphs and mechs mysteriously disappeared with the civilization's fall. How did they manage to make these artificial Glyphs if the real ones do not exist anymore?

The main character (only character so far) is mysteriously a decedent of the Alpha Phi, and some of in his in-game abilities are using magic, the mechs, and summoning Hidden Beasts once you collect enough of a specific Glyph Fragment to form an actual Glyph.

TAGLINE: "Whiny teens, assemble! We will clean the world tonight!" ~says Mom!

You first take control of a battle-hardened couple that mastered some famous weapons from different TV shows, games, and literature. However, to continue an epic adventure, you have to recruit teenagers to fight alongside the couple.

Kind of want to make an F-Zero fan game in the style of the old SNES games.
With online, a map editor and custom vehicles and emblems and stuff.

Already have part of the graphics engine made

Been a while since I last gave this place a visit :O

I had this idea stuck in my head for a while even though i'm not sure where do I want the plot to go.

I've been thinking about having a steampunk styled game in VX set in a post apocalyptic world where a catastrophe struck 30 years before the game starts wiped out most of humanity and left most of the world frozen.
(Not sure about the catastrophe itself, maybe a comet?)

The game follows a girl named Alice which lives in a small town
and Bolt which was found by Alice in the hills outside the town.
Bolt has no memory of his past but as they later find out Bolt was frozen for 30 years and is a part of a group that existed many years ago and wanted to overpower the King and rule the kingdom. They had knowledge about what is going to happen and their soldiers were frozen in order to gurantee their survival and make them wake up into an already re-build world where they could easily take control of the now weak kingdom.

The idea I have rumbling around in my head is similar to an American Comic book. It will be a comedy based on a team of meta-humans told in several installments of around 5 hours each.

Story so far
50 years ago, a group of super heroes known as Squad Zero saved the planet and then disappeared from the public eye. Since then the world was at peace. That is until alien remains were discovered in the north pole. A great deal of distress was caused for the psychic community when their powers began to go haywire.

Characters so far

Hero

Born with super strength, he is actually the son of a dangerous super villain named Saurus. He was abandoned when it became apparent that he'd never develop super powers to suit Saurus' purposes.

Thundergod":2bjjl0eu said:
The Hyperverse

:thumb:

great idea, dude. i've always loved the kind of wacky fantasy setting without LIMITS. its always so much more FUN on a bunch of levels especially when you work to tone the "random elements" to some kind of EMOTIONAL theme or CORE. and with a brother/sister duo i'm sure there's lots to explore

do this dude i'd love to see how it plays out.

Some sort of Eldritch Abomination has spread across the world that cannot be seen, and can spontaneously kill and consume anybody with only a small requirement that needs to be filled for this to be possible.

It managed to kill easily 80 percent of the population within a couple of hundred years, now that the population is spread thinner however it's more difficult, yet it will still rear it's head at any chance it gets and consume anybody that fits it's requirement.

The game however doesn't focus too much on this being though, I'm not even sure if the main point of the game will be killing it, the general attidude everyone has in the game is that it's there, nothing can be done to get rid of it, so we just need to make do.

The game will focus on the strange small civilizations that have formed as a result of this creature, and how they're ensuring it can not consume their townsfolk, many of them take the form of antagonists, but there motivations for their actions are perfectly justified (they're just trying to ensure the creature can not kill the thousands of citizens they're keeping alive)

EDIT: I want one of the central towns to fill like it used to be a Dystopia, because it felt it had to be to survive, but since then it's been getting better, and is slowly reforming and allowing it's civilians more freedom. However it's still enough to cause a group of "rebels" to want to take down the towns establishment, however these aren't your normal RPG dystopia rebels. They more resemble terrorists then rebels and their leader is intent on bringing down the town, regarldess of the townsfolk is will kill and how much evidence is presented to him to contradict his insistance that the town is an evil dystopia (though there are "other" reasons for his grudge against it)

Bully hurting animals, mysterious guy comes out of nowhere, and turns bully into a animal, and has to learn to treat animals respectfully, by making friends with them. A friend system imported into the game, then the game ends when making peace with animals, then you decided on whether you want to leave the animal form, or stay behind as you learn friendship.

Aha ha, properly basically half the plot of the ant bully. maybe.

only a small requirement that needs to be filled for this to be possible.

huh? whats the requirement? this is sort of central to the idea don't you think?

I'm not even sure if the main point of the game will be killing it, the general attidude everyone has in the game is that it's there, nothing can be done to get rid of it, so we just need to make do.

i like the idea of exploring the kind of "that's just the way the world is now" attitude, although something that massive would need to be SOLVED in some way before the end of the story.

benos":1in95tjq said:
Bully hurting animals, mysterious guy comes out of nowhere, and turns bully into a animal, and has to learn to treat animals respectfully, by making friends with them. A friend system imported into the game, then the game ends when making peace with animals, then you decided on whether you want to leave the animal form, or stay behind as you learn friendship.

there's something interesting in the core of this gameplay, probably. but seriously bro the whole TURNING INTO ANIMALS AND MAKING FOREST FRIENDS is horribly furry and could not lead to anything good.

Well the requirement is that if a person feels guilty enough, it can manifest it. This doesn't just mean that it kills them though, it means it allows it to materialise in the general area, which means if there's a room full of safe people and one person feels guilty, it can kill the whole room, which is how it managed to get the whole population down so easily but also why it's now much more difficult with the population spread thinner.

My general idea for the central civilizations are this, I'll represent them as numbers:

1: Most likely the protagonists home town, for unknown reasons the the whole area of the town is protected and the thing won't kill anyone in it, it is believed that this is because the towns leader somehow managed to strike some sort of deal with the creature, that is beneficial to it.
The town was once a fairly authoritarian dictatorship, but recently it has been reforming and overall the people have it pretty well off in it.

2: Another civilization with a population of a couple of thousand, but without the protection town 1 has they're forced to constantly monitor the population, perform regular psychological analysis of every citizen and lock down districts at the first sign of the creature. Though it's a bleak lifestyle, with such a concentration of people it's necessary.

Relationship with 1: 1 and 2 have a strong dislike of each other, mainly stemming from 2's jealously of whatever blessing it received from the being allowing it to be safe. 2 is technologically superior to 1, as though both are fairly high tech, 2 actually understands how radio and wireless technology work and makes use of them, allowing them to be much more organised.

3: A township of monk-like folk that are experts at meditation, they've managed to survive based on their excellent levels of emotional control. They occasionally associate with 2 though 1 rarely ever approaches them (at the start of the game at least)

4: A small group with an immense hatred of 1, they believe that whatever deal they have with the creature can not be a good thing and are intent on bringing down the towns establishment.
Relations with 2: 4 frequently negotiates with 2 as they both have a hatred of 1, however this causes controversy amongst 4s members, as many people do not like the structure of 2 and it's ways of controlling it's people.
Relations with 3: 3 has been allowing 4 usually to stay amongst it's walls however this is becoming rough as of late, as 3 does not want to get involved in any kind of conflict with 1.

EDIT: There's another important element to this that is sort of the instigator for all these factions involving which each other, but sweet jesus this is meant to be a quick concepts thread haha and I've typed so much.

Totally dead topic. Well, I've got something, but I don't know if it's trash or not.

Basically, the system I want in my game is to put (almost) all the combat in the same place. Some background might be usefull;
In my game the entire population of a continent flights to an underground world, to protect itself from the impact of a comet. This world exists of 7 layers, with the lowest one being an enormous maze-like cave system, populated with enemies. The governing body of this underworld place makes sure that the monsters stay exactly where they belong - the 7th layer.
Would it work to dictate all the combat to this place? You would be required to go there to continue in the main story and complete sidequests, but it might be a tad boring to know where the next big boss fight is taking place (although exceptions could be made).

That could work. I'm playing Persona 3 Portable right now, and almost all of the combat is in one huge dungeon.

A few things to consider:

1. The environment should change periodically to keep it from getting boring if the player is going to spend a long time there. So the seventh layer should have a diverse range of environments.
2. Consider some variety occasionally, perhaps by having monsters break out and having the player forced to subdue them, or having to fight people instead of monsters.
3. P3P has a great deal of life sim-type gameplay outside of this dungeon, which is why it doesn't get stale to have all the fights in one place. Consider having a large number of minigames, sidequests, and other stuff to do outside of fighting. Adding a second type of gameplay of some sort would work well, but you can probably get by with just a lot of non-combat content.

Thanks for posting!

Yea, I will keep those points in mind. I wasn't entirely sure if it could work, but hey, I can always try. Fighting isn't going to be the main point anyway :cheers:

Horror game: Give player a gun on the first level. Shooting anything during the entire game will lead to instant, violent death. Player must run, hide and outwit monsters to survive. Gun acts as a cruel misdirection.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.