Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Law G14: 25 hours[Goal: 25 Hours] ~DONE~

I mainly made this for motivation purposes. The game I working on (Gai's Hunters) I've been making extreemly slow progress on ever since the school year began. If this National Game Development came during the summer I could have logged over 150 lol but for now I'm bogged down with intense schoolwork, afterschool sports, and several other things I have to keep priority over game making. Additionally, my team of four (including myself) have also all had their respective personal issues that take priority over game-making. Finally, I've been not as interested lately in continuing with the development of the game. Essentially what I'm saying is that 40 will literally be the maximum time I can set for myself, hopefully I will be reaching it (and hopefully it can get to me like working on it again) :)

What I've Done so Far:
-Completely planned out the story
-Scripted/Edited/Found all the script systems needed for the game
-Organized and cleaned all the scripts for the game
-Finished most of the database (need icons from our artist and I need to finsih editing some skills)

What I plan on doing:
-Finishing the Battle System aesthetics (like visual appeal, how the windows look, etc.)
-Organizing all the in-game folders as it's really messy
-Finsihing cleaning the Battle System code
-Learn more of the capabilities of the Battle System and add more features
-Make/Plan all the dialouge for the game
-Obtain the world map being drawn by someone that's helping me over at the cartographer's guild forum so that I can finish
the World Map script.
-Make all "Battle Maps" (Maps where the tactical battles will take place)

Update:

No need to warrant this update a seperate post, just saying I spent the last 20 minutes trying to fix a script issue that will eventually make the battle visual appeal look better. I'm getting closer to the problem but I still haven't figured it out, I'll have it soon enough though and I'll be one step closer to finishing all the battle aesthetics portion of this development.

40 more minutes of aggravating script debugging lol still trying to find this problem I have with showing a battle picture correctly in sync with it's corresponding window.

New update here, another hour and forty minutes of work. I’ve been able to get a lot done in terms of battle aesthetics and I finally was able to make the background skill image go in sync with the skill window. Here are some test screenshots; they are still all subject to change. (All images were created by me in Adobe Photoshop CS3, criticism is welcome)

The main battle control screen
mainbattlescreen.png

Display of a skill animation and its help window
magicup.png

Scrolling through the skill window
scrollinthrough.png

Animation that plays when swapping through battle windows
slideinout.png

Tried to do some more work on battle aesthetics but that didn't go too well, I was however able to finish the second thing on my "to-do" list which was "Organizing all the in-game folders as it's really messy". So essentially, 1 hour and 20 minutes of work I just did, hopefully I can log in some more time later today.

Logging in two hours and thirty more minutes of work. Nearly finished with all the battle aesthetics, just got a couple more windows to go. Also, I’ve cleaned up a lot more of the battle code. This process of me cleaning my scripts is not only to make it more manageable but it also allows me to learn my scripts so I can add features more easily in the future.

Additionally, our musician has created a battle theme titled “Hunters”.
http://soundcloud.com/turkwise/hunters

I plan on asking him to create more than one battle theme as we’ll probably need 2-4 regular battle themes and a couple boss themes.

And hour and ten minutes logged in. I'm finally done with cleaning in-game scripts. There is still a little more I could have done with the battle system scripts particularly, but I pretty I much have covered everything and I've learned pretty much the whole battle system inside out along with the other scripts. Next thing to do is finish completely battle aesthetics and then start implementing new features into the battle system as well as code complex skills.

Logging in an hour and a half more. Battle aesthetics are nearly finished, all I have left to do is make the detailed status window look better.

Another hour of work, I thought I'd be done with battle aesthetics by now, but the window sliding animations started acting up so I'm going to have to work on that some more as well as make the status window adaptable for enemies as well. All in all, I should be done with this part in about another 30 minutes to an hour so I can finally start adding features to the battle system.

Ugh…just spent about an hour and 30 minutes planning to finish the battle aesthetics, which I did finish, but it took A LOT longer than expected due to errors sprouting out of nowhere. I hate error debugging. Nonetheless battle presentation is finally completed so I can finally move on to more fun stuff like adding new features to the battle system via scripting. First thing I plan on doing is having a solid battle result screen. I'll also be starting to plan and write dialogue in word or on paper while adding battle features, I need to really pick up the pace.

Logging in 2 hours and 40 minutes. There is now a new name for the Governement, its politically correct name is now the UGC or the United Government of the Coasts. This actually has a really important meaning to the past of Gai which will be revealed later on in the story. I also changed around character biographies mainly the fact that Damien and Anito were pretty good friends back in their childhood. Also I worked on dialogue and scripted the results window a little.

2 hours and 20 minutes over the last two days, worked on dialogue and continued scripting the battle results/end phase of the battle system.

About an hour over the past couple days, but it's time to go eat some turkey now! Hopefully I can get nine hours in by the end of the month.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.