Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Gateway

Japa

This is a game thet me and my brother (NCD) are working on.

Me: Programming, eventing, etc.

NCD: Story, Maps, Characters, Graphics, etc.

Screenshots:

Note: The text in the screenshots and the charaqcter sprites are NOT final.
For one thing, none of the characters are human.

Opening scene:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4182 ... ed1yx7.jpg[/img]

One of the character's intro's
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9009 ... ed2dd4.jpg[/img]

Another character's bio.
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1056 ... ed4wg9.jpg[/img]

And the awesome 6 PLAYER PARTY!!!!
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4964 ... ed5ax9.jpg[/img]

And in a battle:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8985/untitled6im2.jpg[/img]

Story:

6 friends that are living on a ferm in the mountains are leading quite nermal lives, untill one of them finds an the ruins of an anchient town, in the center of which, is a huge cave.

Upon investigating the cave, (and beating some bosses) they find a room that has 4 hallways leading off from it, at right angles from each other. Besites the path that the party came from, the only available one is the one directly ahead of them.

When they exit the tunnel, they find themselves in on a planet where magic is in regular use, and somebody was waiting for them, who tells them that they have been expected, and brings them to the king of the local area.

When they meet with he king, he tells them that they are being troubled by somebody named Kargastulam, and that they are prophesised to overthrow him. The party disagrees, but shortly, somebody comes in with the news that the gateway has been destroyed. After being shown ground zero, (And helping with the wounded) they reluctantly agree to help.

The full story, with MAJOR spoilers, can be found below:

Features:

6 Party members at a time.

6 starting party members to choose from

3 main storylines to get (Depending on who you chose your starting member)

Major plot twists.

(hopefully) the ability to teleport to visited places.

Characters:

Saradan:

full name: Saradan Filant Pesquaral

sex: Male

species: Badger

weapon: Sword

bio: The leader of the group. a good fighter, not so good at spells.

Rajanu

full name: Rajanubis Delas Smaran

species: Fox

weapon: Axe

bio: He is second in command of the group. He lives in the Pesquaral farm with his wife, fralentine, and looks after the orchard.

Filan

full name: Sir Filanthros Ol’ Phlaten

species: Racoon

weapon: Mace

bio: He is a guy who only still lives at the farm because of saradan.

Panu

fyll name:Pandoras Vanus Nalpo

sex: male

species: Porcupine (NOT a gedgehog, too many people make that mistake)

weapon: Lance

bio: Panu is an archeologist, who came to live at the Pesquaral farm because of the number of ruins nearby. He is the one that discovered the Gateway.

Chona

full name: Albachonal par Ãœrful

sex: male

species: Mouse

weapon: Daggers

bio: Chona is an orphaned mouse that Saradan took under his wing, and now runs the book store.

Fralentine

full name: Fralentine Paraine Smaran

sex: female

species: Fox.

weapon: Iron gloves.

bio: Fralentine works on the Pesqueral farm as a cook, and she is the wife of Rajanu.

note:Updates as I see fit

Omg...please don't tell me that the battle system is turned based. That would take ages to go through all those characters...

Japa

well, it's based off of my brothers book, so yeah, the 6 party members are needed.

and the battles are actually quicker, because the enemies die faster. I'm still working on that.

Tim.

-_-

1. Screenshot #2: Why is 'are' capitalized?

2. Screenshot #3: It's spelt prefered.

3. Screenshot #1: Strange how there's a cooking pot and three clothing racks in the middle of the room.

4. Try to avoid having all the characters avaliable from the start.

5. I wont list them all of them, but there's quite some spelling errors. If english isn't your first language I can understand, but otherwise, work on that.

6. It says they find themselves in a world where use of magic is in regular use, yet, one of the starting characters is a Mage.

7. Avoid using RTP classes. And if you have to, perhaps rename the. Lancer could be Pikeman, Warrior could be Knight, ect..

8. Lastly, why would a King trust a bunch of random strangers that came out of a portal with something that important?

Overral, work on presentation and plot logic.

Japa

Flamerfox said:
-_-

1. Screenshot #2: Why is 'are' capitalized?

2. Screenshot #3: It's spelt prefered.

3. Screenshot #1: Strange how there's a cooking pot and three clothing racks in the middle of the room.

4. Try to avoid having all the characters avaliable from the start.

5. I wont list them all of them, but there's quite some spelling errors. If english isn't your first language I can understand, but otherwise, work on that.

6. It says they find themselves in a world where use of magic is in regular use, yet, one of the starting characters is a Mage.

7. Avoid using RTP classes. And if you have to, perhaps rename the. Lancer could be Pikeman, Warrior could be Knight, ect..

8. Lastly, why would a King trust a bunch of random strangers that came out of a portal with something that important?

Overral, work on presentation and plot logic.

1: the text is a placeholder, I'm only doing the programming, my brother has not yet gotten around to putting in he actual stuff they say.

2: Ditto

3: I admit, I didn't put a lot of thought into that, I was trying to make it cluttered and full of odd stuff. (the guys a wizard)

4: They're not.

5: I admit, my spelling is terrible, as is my typing.

6: the classes are what they become later on in the game. Thanks for pointing that out though, I'll fix that.

7: I won't be using the class names at all.

8: first of all, they are not the soul hope, and second of all, they do ave a unique advantage, that has to do with them not being from that planet.

They also go through a lot of training there before they officially get the job.

Tim.

Well, looks like you've gotten quite a few place holders... If you haven't already, you could always request resources at the request forum.

I have honestly never mistaken a Porcupine for a gedgehog. Haha.

Just messing with you, good luck with this. I like the Redwall-esque feeling to it.

Vash

For the battle how about having only 3 people in it. You could have 6 people in the party but only 3 active in battle at a time.

Rain

Sponsor

You could maybe even try to attempt a Final Fantasy 10 style (allowing you to swap the 3 active members with the other 3)

DDTY

The game look's good, but i don't like the Battle, 7 MEMBERS IN ONE NORMAL BATTLE, IT WILL TAKE HOURS TO WIN A BOSS, :O.

Good Luck at the same way

DDTY said:
The game look's good, but i don't like the Battle, 7 MEMBERS IN ONE NORMAL BATTLE, IT WILL TAKE HOURS TO WIN A BOSS, :O.

Good Luck at the same way

Not nessecarily. If the battles are well-coordinated, they should be okay. He also claims that he put alot of time in the battles, so I can't see why he can't try something like that.

Woe... waaay too many characters in the battle at the same time. The whole point in having more than just the four default characters IMO is the use of strategy. Like having to choose which characters to use in what situations to me is a lot of fun. Try choping it back down. Maybe like someone else said change down to 3 playable and make it swapable during battle. Then you can have a "feel" of having all the members in the battle at the same time without actually being overwhelmed.

Also I know you said it's based on a book but please do not resort to "book tactics". Like with one of your screen-caps. "Helios woke with a start". Why not animate him jumping and using the explination point animation? That's waking to a start. Don't narrate the player to death. If the player wants narration then they'll read a book. When doing a game you should be SHOWING what's happening NOT telling.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.