Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Starting Out is so hard to do. . .

Ok I just got RMXP and I am all excited and ready to start making a game. Here is my problem though. Should I just make a off game and use the RTP graphics or start downloading add-ons and scripts and do my best on my first project?

If you know anything about or are interested in learning how to program, learning Ruby would be highly beneficial.

I'm sorry to say this, but unless you're already experienced with game making, your first project (probably) won't be anything good even if you do your best. Personally, I would advise you to start practicing mapping and perhaps some random cutscenes to get familiarized with the different event commands - checking out some tutorials would do you good since you're new.

If you're anything of a dreamer, you'll often envision random bits of dialog and etc.. When you get the chance, put those into RMXP format and once you're acquainted with the program, you can start thinking of a game. Most of the times, the game idea will just flow onto your mind; pressing yourself for ideas will, most likely, result in a bad game. Once you have this general idea (the game concept, plot, perhaps even detailed characters), start making or otherwise, if you don't have any RMXP-related skill (scripter, spriter, musician etc.), collecting the resources you need and putting them into place.

If you're anything like me, you'll need a lot of willpower to stick with one project even though new/better ideas are constantly showing up on your mind. ;)

Hevendor;272351 said:
If you know anything about or are interested in learning how to program, learning Ruby would be highly beneficial.

I'm sorry to say this, but unless you're already experienced with game making, your first project (probably) won't be anything good even if you do your best. Personally, I would advise you to start practicing mapping and perhaps some random cutscenes to get familiarized with the different event commands - checking out some tutorials would do you good since you're new.

If you're anything of a dreamer, you'll often envision random bits of dialog and etc.. When you get the chance, put those into RMXP format and once you're acquainted with the program, you can start thinking of a game. Most of the times, the game idea will just flow onto your mind; pressing yourself for ideas will, most likely, result in a bad game. Once you have this general idea (the game concept, plot, perhaps even detailed characters), start making or otherwise, if you don't have any RMXP-related skill (scripter, spriter, musician etc.), collecting the resources you need and putting them into place.

If you're anything like me, you'll need a lot of willpower to stick with one project even though new/better ideas are constantly showing up on your mind. ;)

Thanks for the insight. Hopefully I can learn this program and some other things soon. I absolutely love this thing

In my experience, just have fun getting used to all of the functions!
Start with a small game, 2-3 towns, one goal. And then have your friends play it. How they react will spur you on to make better, longer games.
Use all of the standard stuff until after your first small game :)

Have fun with it!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.