Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[SOLVED]Script help (mostly menu related)

Ok so what started out as pretty simple and something ive been able to figure out how to do on my own with my limited scripting knowledge, and i mean very limited, is starting to snowball into something im going to need a little pointer here and there about.

ok what ive been doing so far is this, making a script for each menu scene, like scene_item for example that puts an image one z axis higher than the windowskin. and ill have some scrolling panoramic images for the backgrounds on some of them, like status screen and on the main menu screen.

Ok now where ive run into problems trying to figure things out

problem 1: i changed the text color of the item list to a faded black ink like color and that looks fine, my problem here is, it also changes the item list text color in battles, which makes it hard to read on the windowskin while im fighting. id also like to change the menu item list's font to somethign a little more handwritten looking so as to make it look like an inventory list (the background i have for my item screen is like an inventory log book kind of theme)

id like to know how to change only the menu text color while leaving the color of text in battle white

problem 2: not really a problem yet as i havent started the status screen yet, but i want to use a different background for status based on the character, so say i look at the status of the main character, i want his status screen to show an image of him (that i will draw for each caracter) basicly i want make a script like mine that has i guess a variable or something that when character A's status screen is accessed their background has their image and when Character B is accessed theirs is shown etc

thats pretty much it for now, as any further questions come up ill be adding to it in this thread to keep things tidy

that would be cool. ive looked at a lot of scripts over the years and ive never really seen any really good map screen ones, and this would be pretty customizable as far as putting in your own map and if done similar to the example you posted, in the code where you put in the location switches and stuff, you would also put in the cursor x y position or something along those lines corresponding the the location on the map for a visual representation of where the list entry is located.

this is definitely beyond my very amateur scripting ability, i can somewhat picture what needs to happen in the script based of what youve posted, but i wouldnt know where to begin to add to it to make the different map screen functions.

appreciate your time and thought on this greatly, this one isnt exactly something simple, where i just need a good pointer in the right direction and an example to get me started. i might be better off making a post in script requests for this and see if i get anyone to bite

EDIT: gonna toss up a screeny of the status screen for my main character, still semi-wip, i like the way the screen looks but i want to redraw him, different pose, better face etc, probably try a different less cell shaded coloring method
rathisbg.png

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.